Worker killed at Walmart in Black Friday stampede, woman miscarries

brad

The Prez - Arithmomaniac
Reaction score
http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local...worker_dies_at_long_island_walmart_after.html

amd_walmart_gv.jpg

A worker died after being trampled and a woman miscarried when hundreds of shoppers smashed through the doors of a Long Island Wal-Mart Friday morning, witnesses said.
The unidentified worker, employed as an overnight stock clerk, tried to hold back the unruly crowds just after the Valley Stream store opened at 5 a.m.
Witnesses said the surging throngs of shoppers knocked the man down. He fell and was stepped on. As he gasped for air, shoppers ran over and around him.

gosh, how awful! What is so important that people has to get into the store like that with disregard for mankind? Pathetic!

I have only gone one time and people do try to knock you down. I decided it wasn't worth it.

IMO, the merchants, stores, etc. are more to blame. False claims that the deals on Black Friday will be the best of the season, it's all about the revenue generated for them that day. All about the money.

Personally, anyone injured should sue the snot out of the store where they are injured. I don't care how minor the injury is. Hit them back hard in the pocketbook and this false advertising and promotion of mob mentality by allowing crowds to build up outside locked doors will cease.

Both the stores who promote and the people who resort to this type of mob-mentality as a result of greed on both parts really have no conscience. No morals.

/end rant.

Did I mention that I think Black Friday and the practices associated with it should be outlawed?

So sad; all to amass material possessions to celebrate a guy who recommended not amassing material possessions. :mad:

That's awful. The crazy part is a lot of the deals were available online at the same price. The shipping was only $.97 per item for a lot of the deals. I feel so sorry for these people injured. Especially the worker. He was just trying to do his job.

I was at a WalMart at 5 AM today-everyone was nice and freindly, and most people apologized for bumping into each other and offered to tell people where they found items.

Of course, nothing completely sold out that I was looking for. It may have been worse in areas where the number of items was limited, but I was very pleasantly surprised at how orderly it was.

Myabe it's because I live in the South---that poor clerk and his family!

That mall and the area where the Wal-Mart is located is rough... I am not surprised at how they could act like idiots.

This was disgusting.

Just to note: there are conflicting reports. One news report I read (from a Nassau County TV station) said the woman did NOT miscarry and is fine. It also said the man collapsed of a heart attack and then was trampled. In any case it is tragic and one reason I NEVER go out shopping on Black Friday a.m.

I'm saddend by this.. :( Prayers for this man's family and friends..

I grew up in Valley Stream where the mall is located-- it is right on the border of Long Island's Nassau County and the Borough of Queens which is part of New York City. It's clientele comes from a variety of low and middle class neighborhoods. The Wal-Mart is directly behind the main mall building.

There is also a Multiplex movie theatre next to the mall (not attached to the mall) that is even worse. There was a gang shooting once in the lobby there and at least one person died. A couple of months later my family and I were watching a movie there and a fight broke out in the theatre. People started running out the emergency exits-- afraid the fight would escalate into another shooting. I don't live in Valley Stream any more, but if I did, I would not shop at the mall or go to the movie theatre!

This is so sad. I cannot believe people act in such a manner, it disgusts me. I went today, but not first thing in the morning. I went one time before and swore off ever going again because of the way people act. I figured today, if they had what I wanted, great, if not oh well.

Nice to see that in this failing economy,people are still stupid enough to kill ourselves over material goods. :waitasec:

I don't think we should blame the stores for offering low prices. Blame the people who acted like animals and idiots.

So next year, that Wal Mart doesn't offer ANY Black Friday deals. Serves them right.

2 men shot each other at a Toys R Us in Palm Desert today. I just listened to an eyewitness account and it was pretty radical. babies and children screaming all over the place. Mass hysteria and confusion.

2 dead after shots fired in SoCal Toys 'R' Us

By GILLIAN FLACCUS – 2 hours ago
PALM DESERT, Calif. (AP) — Two people were shot to death in a crowded toy store on Black Friday in a confrontation apparently involving rival groups, city officials said.
Palm Desert Councilman Jim Ferguson said police told him two men with handguns shot and killed each other. Ferguson said he asked police whether the incident was a dispute over a toy or whether it was gang-related. He said police told him they were not going to release further details until the victims' relatives were notified.
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jMJP9ep_VABDoexPPDXfIDbnJL6gD94O8DFG0

I used to work at kmart years ago and when we had to work black friday noone ever wanted to be the person who unlocked the doors because we had an employee who was knocked down just like this...he was hurt but not seriously..its crazy!!
the people literally RUN thru the stores and heaven help you if you get in the way!!

I hope Walmart get's their butts sued good and proper. I shop at Walmart often and have never seen anything in any of their stores I would want that would be worth a human life. Wonder if they can bring criminal charges against anyone?? I hope so. A report on another website stated that a police detective commented that Walmart could have taken better precautions to prevent this. Lawsuit??? Hope so. The victim was only 34 years old. What a tragedy, just to purchase something that probably isn't worth a darn, certainly not the life of a young man. I also, like another poster stated, believe that Black Friday should be outlawed.

This should stop. NOTHING is worth this kind of sales! ever.

Just like the young man killed delivering pizzas 30 minutes or less a few years back. Domino's put a stop to their promo after that. Maybe this retail gimmick needs to end. One life lost is one life too many.

I also grew up near this mall and went there often. Needless to say, I have not been there in many years because of what Penelope describes. My sister still shops there and it drives me crazy!
I think the condition of our economy has fueled the need, even more so, of saving every last cent and, hence, people are even more out of control than in previous years. The stores are desperate and the shoppers are desperate. That makes for a very dangerous combination.
So sad for this worker and his family!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrsrb10
Back