Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: CA- Kyle - Teen held captive for a year-Waiter Trial

Reliability of Tracy teen's testimony called into question

STOCKTON - Before deciding the future of a man accused of torturing a teen chained in a Tracy home, jurors heard two tales in closing arguments that began Wednesday.

The teen identified as Kyle Ramirez, now 18, is a reliable source whose tales of beatings are consistent with medical evaluations and evidence collected, according to the prosecution.

But the defense cites inconsistencies in the stories the teen told police and portrayed him as a young man with the potential to exaggerate or lie.
    Closing arguments are expected to continue today. After they are complete, jurors will begin deliberating on the fate of 31-year-old Anthony Waiters, charged with torture, aggravated mayhem, false imprisonment, corporal punishment to a child, and a number of other charges.

http://www.recordnet.com/apps/pbcs.d...s+Headlines%29

“Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.” Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sr.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MagicRose99 For This Useful Post:

Shackled teen case goes to jury

STOCKTON - Jurors on Thursday began deliberating the fate of Anthony Waiters, a Tracy man charged with torturing a 16-year-old boy held captive in a home next door to his for more than a year.

Now 18, Kyle Ramirez escaped from the Tennis Lane home on Dec. 1, 2008, wearing only boxer shorts and a shackle around one ankle. He was emaciated, cut, burned and covered in soot from the fireplace where he slept.

If Waiters is convicted of all the charges, the 31-year-old could spend the rest of his life in state prison. He's accused of torture, aggravated mayhem, false imprisonment and other charges.

The five-week trial reached a climax when Ramirez took the witness stand and pointed to Waiters. He said the defendant cut and beat him and took part in abuse with three others. Waiters lived next door with his mother

http://www.recordnet.com/apps/pbcs.d...s+Headlines%29

“Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.” Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sr.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MagicRose99 For This Useful Post:

http://www.news10.net/news/story.asp...107833&catid=2

Tracy teen torture suspect found guilty

Waiters was also found guilty of aggravated mayhem with a bat, slicing an arm, coporal injury hit with a bat, punch with a boxing glove, criminal threats and assault with chemicals.

6. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to fhc For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by fhc View Post
    http://www.news10.net/news/story.asp...107833&catid=2

Tracy teen torture suspect found guilty

Waiters was also found guilty of aggravated mayhem with a bat, slicing an arm, coporal injury hit with a bat, punch with a boxing glove, criminal threats and assault with chemicals.
    Good. Next.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

"I'll put it this way: I certainly wouldn't want her behind me in a knife fight." -- me

Email me

8. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to adnoid For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by adnoid View Post
    Good. Next.
    Unfortunately, the other monsters all pleaded out... too bad...

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MagicRose99 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MagicRose99 View Post
    Unfortunately, the other monsters all pleaded out... too bad...
    Yeah, I forgot that. Well, let's apply the thought to some other scumbag
    Μολὼν λαβέ

"I'll put it this way: I certainly wouldn't want her behind me in a knife fight." -- me

Email me

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to adnoid For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by adnoid View Post
    Yeah, I forgot that. Well, let's apply the thought to some other scumbag
    I'm with ya there!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MagicRose99 For This Useful Post:

Video Of Tracy Teen’s Escape Released

November 29, 2010 6:10 PM

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2010/...cape-released/
    What we are doing is just a drop in the ocean.
    But if that drop was not in the ocean,
    I think the ocean would be less because of that missing drop.
    ~~ Mother Theresa ~~

Where is Rachel Cooke? Missing since 10-Jan-2002
    Rachel's thread - WS
    RachelCookeSearch.org

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Texas Mist For This Useful Post:

Suspects To Be Sentenced For Teen Torture Case

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — A San Joaquin County judge is expected to decide Monday the punishment for three people who beat, burned and held a teenager captive for more than a year.

The scheduled sentencing comes two years after a soot- and sore-covered Kyle Ramirez, then 16, stumbled into a Tracy health club nearly naked with a chain shackled to his ankle after escaping abuse.

As part of their agreement, prosecutors withdrew a charge of torture, which could have led to life in prison.

Each now faces sentences of at least 30 years in prison. And legal experts believe because of the severity of the crime, all three could get maximum sentences

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2010/...-torture-case/

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MagicRose99 For This Useful Post:

Three Who Admitted To Tracy Teen Abuse Get At Least 30 Years Each

STOCKTON, Calif. (AP) — Three adults who admitted to holding captive and torturing a 16-year-old boy for more than a year each are headed to prison for at least 30 years.

Michael Schumacher, his wife Kelly Lau and the teen’s legal guardian Caren Ramirez learned their fates Monday after pleading guilty in October to more than a dozen felonies.

Ramirez got the harshest sentence of 34 years, while Lau got 33 years and Schumacher got 30 years behind bars.

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2010/12/06/sentencing-for-three-who-admitted-to-tracy-teen-abuse/

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MagicRose99 For This Useful Post:

I hope Kyle is doing ok now. It is too bad that these 3 are only getting 30 some years,
    they could be out in less I would think. They will still be able to harm someone else.
    Good luck to you Kyle.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ohiogirl For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MagicRose99 View Post
    STOCKTON, Calif. (AP) — Three adults who admitted to holding captive and torturing a 16-year-old boy for more than a year each are headed to prison for at least 30 years.

Michael Schumacher, his wife Kelly Lau and the teen’s legal guardian Caren Ramirez learned their fates Monday after pleading guilty in October to more than a dozen felonies.

Ramirez got the harshest sentence of 34 years, while Lau got 33 years and Schumacher got 30 years behind bars.

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2010/12/06/sentencing-for-three-who-admitted-to-tracy-teen-abuse/
    Really good article! Wish I could have watched the sentencing live. Right on Judge!

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to zoomom For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by zoomom View Post
    Really good article! Wish I could have watched the sentencing live. Right on Judge!
    My favorite part in the article (Goooooo Auntie!):

“My family waited two years for this day to face you sadistic, demented monsters who tortured and abused Kyle every day — every day,” said Sydney Perry, the teen’s aunt. “And where you’re going, you’re going to be with monsters just like you.”

Perry was especially harsh towards Caren Ramirez.
    “You’re an evil and dispicable woman. You’re trash and you shoud’ve been taken out a long time ago. Today is your day to be taken out.”

26. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MagicRose99 For This Useful Post:

Sentencing Delayed In Calif. Teen Torture Case

STOCKTON, Calif. (AP) — The fate of a man convicted of torturing a teenage boy held captive in a neighbor’s Northern California home for more than a year has been delayed.

San Joaquin County prosecutors said Tuesday’s scheduled sentencing for Anthony Waiters was postponed as his defense attorney seeks a new trial.

Waiters was found guilty in November of aggravated mayhem, torture, kidnapping and false imprisonment of then-16-year-old Kyle Ramirez.

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2011/...-torture-case/

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MagicRose99 For This Useful Post:

Abused boy files claim against Sacramento chld proteciton agency

Abused boy files claim against Sacramento child proteciton agency

Published: Wednesday, Feb. 9, 2011 - 11:35 am
    Last Modified: Wednesday, Feb. 9, 2011 - 11:54 am

A legal claim against Sacramento County's Child Protective Services was filed this morning in Superior Court, as expected, on behalf of a young man known publicly only as Kyle Doe.

The Bee reported earlier today that Kyle, who endured a year of ritualistic abuse in a Tracy home before escaping in late 2008, planned to file the claim today through his attorney, John Demas.

A spokesperson for the Demas firm said the filing took place shortly after 9 a.m. A claim is the first step toward a lawsuit, which Demas said he expects to file within a month.

The claim asks for unspecified damages from CPS for allegedly ignoring evidence of chronic abuse and neglect inflicted upon Kyle while he was living in the Sacramento area with his mother's friend, Caren Ramirez.
    According to court testimony in a criminal trial of Ramirez and others last year, she later took him to a Tracy home where he was tortured and held captive for about a year. He is now 18 years old and lives with his aunt and uncle.

Kyle's mother, Susan Cardiff, had given custody of him and his older brother to Ramirez in 2001. Cardiff died in 2008.

Ramirez, Michael Schumacher, Kelly Lau and Anthony Waiters were convicted in San Joaquin Superior Court last year of charges that will keep each of them in prison for at least three decades.
    CPS has declined to comment on the claim.

30. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MagicRose99 For This Useful Post:

Waiters is sentenced

News10_CA News10 - California
    Anthony Waiters, the only man to stand trial in the case of a tortured teen in Tracy, was just sentenced to life in prison

http://twitter.com/News10_CA
    ~~ Mother Theresa ~~

Rachel's thread - WS
    RachelCookeSearch.org

32. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Texas Mist For This Useful Post:

Man Gets Life In Prison For Torturing Tracy Teen

<snip>

Waiters was sentenced Monday morning. He was found guilty in November of aggravated mayhem, torture, kidnapping and false imprisonment of then-16-year-old Kyle...

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2011/...ife-in-prison/
    ~~ Mother Theresa ~~

Rachel's thread - WS
    RachelCookeSearch.org

34. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Texas Mist For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Mist View Post
    <snip>

Waiters was sentenced Monday morning. He was found guilty in November of aggravated mayhem, torture, kidnapping and false imprisonment of then-16-year-old Kyle...

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2011/...ife-in-prison/
    Yay! Guess that trial didn't work out too well, huh dumbazz?

I only wish the other abusers would have rolled the dice, too!

Praying for Kyle's complete recovery. Can't wait to see what he grows up to be!
    ~~~Cynical Optimist~~~

36. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Fairy1 For This Useful Post:

Post Tracy torture case defendant sentenced to 18 years to life

By Sophia Kazmi
    Contra Costa Times

Posted: 02/28/2011 10:57:48 AM PST
    Updated: 02/28/2011 06:28:39 PM PST

STOCKTON -- A Tracy man, who will spend a minimum of 18 years and eight months in state prison for torturing a teenage boy, told the court Monday that he did not do it.
    Anthony Waiters, 31, who was convicted in November, said he was dumbfounded when a jury found him guilty. He maintained his innocence before San Joaquin County Superior Court Judge Terrence Van Oss pronounced his sentence Monday.
    He told the court he has love and respect for "Mr. Kyle" and his family.
    "I'm not a malevolent person," Waiters said.
    A jury found Waiters guilty of torture, two counts of aggravated mayhem and six other charges for physically abusing Kyle Ramirez.
    Kyle was 16 when he escaped Dec. 1, 2008, from the Tennis Lane home of Waiter's neighbors. Kyle ran to a nearby gym, begging for help. Emaciated, bloody and scarred, he wore nothing but boxer shorts and a chain around his ankle.
    Van Oss, who said that this case is the most bizarre he has ever seen, sentenced Waiters to three life terms to be served concurrently for the torture and aggravated mayhem charges. Waiters received 11 years, eight months for the remaining charges, time that must be served before the life sentences kick in. Also, Waiters must serve seven years of the life sentences before he may be considered for parole.
    Waiters is the last of four people arrested in the case to be sentenced. In December, his neighbors Kelly Lau and Michael Schumacher, and Kyle's former-guardian, Caren Ramirez, were each sentenced to at least 30 years in prison for their part in the abuse. more at link:http://www.contracostatimes.com/ci_1...costatimes.com
    Please help locate Mark Dribin http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...ht=Mark+Dribin and Ilene Misheloff http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...lene+Misheloff and bring them home.

38. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LinasK For This Useful Post:

believe09 is offline For nothing is secret that will not be revealed
    Yup-dude is pure as the driven snow. Didnt notice that Mr Kyle was covered with sores, half naked, beaten and had a chain around one ankle either.

Given his attitude regarding his innocence, let's hope the 18 years is closer to life.
    email me

Long Lost Love: The Bob Harrod Story Disappeared/ID Network
    Amazon: Purchase Long Lost Love $1.99

Bob Harrod SAR

“The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them.”
    ― Maya Angelou

40. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to believe09 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Gray View Post
    I don't understand people like this. How in the world could they hold another person against their will and make them do housework and abuse them in ways we won't even know? Seriously... I don't get how people could have such lack of compassion and outright sadistic behavior and try to get away with it! And why in the world would BOTH of them be willing to do this? You would think one of them would have some sort of conscience! And it says they had 4 children? Where were the other 4 children? Why didn't they say anything?

I am just disgusted that people like this exist... people that would take advantage of another life.
    Remember Sylvia Lykens?
    now an official Penn State alum!

Kindness is magic. (Derek)

@JaneDoe25 (Twitter)

42. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PlainJaneDoe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by LinasK View Post
    By Sophia Kazmi
    Contra Costa Times

Posted: 02/28/2011 10:57:48 AM PST
    Updated: 02/28/2011 06:28:39 PM PST

STOCKTON -- A Tracy man, who will spend a minimum of 18 years and eight months in state prison for torturing a teenage boy, told the court Monday that he did not do it.
    Anthony Waiters, 31, who was convicted in November, said he was dumbfounded when a jury found him guilty. He maintained his innocence before San Joaquin County Superior Court Judge Terrence Van Oss pronounced his sentence Monday.
    He told the court he has love and respect for "Mr. Kyle" and his family.
    "I'm not a malevolent person," Waiters said.
    A jury found Waiters guilty of torture, two counts of aggravated mayhem and six other charges for physically abusing Kyle Ramirez.
    Kyle was 16 when he escaped Dec. 1, 2008, from the Tennis Lane home of Waiter's neighbors. Kyle ran to a nearby gym, begging for help. Emaciated, bloody and scarred, he wore nothing but boxer shorts and a chain around his ankle.
    Van Oss, who said that this case is the most bizarre he has ever seen, sentenced Waiters to three life terms to be served concurrently for the torture and aggravated mayhem charges. Waiters received 11 years, eight months for the remaining charges, time that must be served before the life sentences kick in. Also, Waiters must serve seven years of the life sentences before he may be considered for parole.
    Waiters is the last of four people arrested in the case to be sentenced. In December, his neighbors Kelly Lau and Michael Schumacher, and Kyle's former-guardian, Caren Ramirez, were each sentenced to at least 30 years in prison for their part in the abuse. more at link:http://www.contracostatimes.com/ci_1...costatimes.com
    I'm bumping this because I never heard that the monsters had been sentenced and I'm sure others may not be aware as well. I was just thinking about Kyle and wanted to know what happened to him. I hope he is continuing to heal and is doing well. I hope he can go to college and lead a wonderful life.

I wonder what happened to Schumaker and Lau's kids. I also wonder what happened with Kyle's civil suit against CPS.

Quote Originally Posted by believe09 View Post
    Yup-dude is pure as the driven snow. Didnt notice that Mr Kyle was covered with sores, half naked, beaten and had a chain around one ankle either.

Given his attitude regarding his innocence, let's hope the 18 years is closer to life.
    I bet it will be. He gambled. I bet ya' he argued vehemently with his attorney against a plea deal because in his mind, it's okay to abuse a child. They are property to him, I'm sure and he couldn't imagine that others would be horrified.

Sad thing is, the other three were worse. They deserved life too. I hope they never make it out of prison alive.

As for this idiot, what purpose would Kyle possibly have to lie? Yeah, blame the victim. Call him a liar. Shows the content of his character. That defense right there would be enough for me to convict him.

I'm happy the four are cooling their heals in prison. They enjoyed torturing an innocent boy. Like attracts like and they found others as soulless as themselves. They should never see the light of day again and when they die, dead they shall remain.
    For Travis Alexander, a human being. Justice will prevail.

*Gitana (means "Gypsy girl"). Pronounced "hee tah nah."

44. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to gitana1 For This Useful Post:

Still on my mind

I know it's an old case but I think of remarkable Kyle often. I hope he is healing well and doing alright today.

Just wanted to add that once upon a time I lived about a mile away from where this happened - but had left the state before it came out. I was not shocked (sadly) to learn neighbors had no clue, or didn't want to get involved. My neighbors never said hello, they never even made eye contact with me if we were washing our cars in basically touching driveways. It's how Tracy was at the time and I can't imagine it got any better with the even-greater population explosion it went through after I left. (Maybe MOO, of course.)

Get out, say hello, bring food, keep an eye on each other (and an eye out for the hinky). Can't hurt and sure might help!

Oh, and hello Websleuths! Long-time reader here that finally got the guts to join.

46. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pagingstaff For This Useful Post:

http://www.courts.ca.gov/opinions/nonpub/C067669.DOC

Not sure if this was posted earlier but found it and wanted to make sure, lots of details,

48. The Following User Says Thank You to Sunshine95 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pagingstaff View Post
    I know it's an old case but I think of remarkable Kyle often. I hope he is healing well and doing alright today.

Just wanted to add that once upon a time I lived about a mile away from where this happened - but had left the state before it came out. I was not shocked (sadly) to learn neighbors had no clue, or didn't want to get involved. My neighbors never said hello, they never even made eye contact with me if we were washing our cars in basically touching driveways. It's how Tracy was at the time and I can't imagine it got any better with the even-greater population explosion it went through after I left. (Maybe MOO, of course.)

Get out, say hello, bring food, keep an eye on each other (and an eye out for the hinky). Can't hurt and sure might help!

Oh, and hello Websleuths! Long-time reader here that finally got the guts to join.

50. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to margarita25 For This Useful Post:

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314 LastLast