Bratz production to end.

capoly

Reaction score
Businesses ordered to stop selling Bratz

After a four-year legal dispute between the dolls’ manufacturer, MGA Entertainment, and rival Mattel, the maker of Barbie, a federal judge rocked the toy industry Wednesday by ordering MGA to stop manufacturing Bratz.

The decision was a stunning defeat for MGA, which exploded onto the ’tween scene in 2001 with the saucy diva dolls in micro-miniskirts and made hundreds of millions in profits, giving Mattel’s more down-to-earth Barbie a run for her money.

.....ruling which followed a jury’s finding that Bratz designer Carter Bryant developed the concept for the dolls while working for Mattel.

http://news.bostonherald.com/news/regional/view.bg?articleid=1136924

Good! I think those dolls are the most obnoxious and inappropriate toys for young girls.

So do I. The ownership aspect was interesting to follow. There was another case like this a ways back. For the life of me can't recall companies involved.

ETA EBay sellers....Good item to grab!

Does this mean that the Bratz dolls will be of some value? Collectors' item?

Those are the creepiest looking things but my friends girls love them. When I sit for them thats all they play with. Will have to stock up for xmas before they are gone, i guess.

Works for me. Those dolls freaked me out big time. They seemed so wrong on every child level, imho. Blech....

Very interesting. I am really surprised Barbie was able to shut down the Bratz machine - I don't know much about the suit, but that's fascinating.

It's obnoxious to call the dolls "Bratz". Past that, I'm not too worked up about them - some folks may perceive Barbie as more "wholesome" but I don't.

Funny story about Bratz-

I was at my cousins house, we'll call her Caroline. Her daugther, Mary was talking about Bratz dolls. She was four at the time. My great Aunt (Mary's Grandma) was there also.

Mary said "I have a Bratz doll!" and I just glared at Caroline with a "I can't believe you got her one of those" look. She said "I didn't get it for her!" and pointed to my Aunt. My Aunt then did her "I'm grandma I can do what I want" laugh.

I then told me Aunt I was disappointed in her, she laughed again.

Later I went to Target and took Mary with me, I now understand how she has a Bratz doll. She is so sweet, and so good to shop with, when she asks for something your heart melts. I didn't get her a Bratz doll, just a cute purse!

Does this mean that the Bratz dolls will be of some value? Collectors' item?

I've always loved to buy dolls/toys but for children's play not collecting. Going by what I've experienced in similiar situations, high demand for an individual doll(s) that's hard to come by ie limited edition, high popularity..will raise value now for both play & collector buyers. Down the line, the demand is more collector based. Value increases still depend on the individual doll and condition of doll.

I was not a fan of big-eyed weird dolls long before Bratz came out. IMO They seem to have a fan group (not referring to general public/kids) with certain elements that are questionable & creepy.

Can't say that I will be sorry to see them go...I don't like them at all. They are to sexed up to be a kids toy.

Thank God they're discontinued. They just promoted the wrong ideas in children who already live in a society that forces them to grow up to fast.

No loss here. They were never allowed in my house.

Of course, we didn't exactly roll out the welcome mat for Barbie either. My annoyingly liberated cousin-in-law bought one for my dd when she was 2 (?!!!), but I never fed the habit. Luckily my dd is much more interested in American Girl and Webkinz. Just as crazy obsessive but much less trashy.

I've always loved to buy dolls/toys but for children's play not collecting. Going by what I've experienced in similiar situations, high demand for an individual doll(s) that's hard to come by ie limited edition, high popularity..will raise value now for both play & collector buyers. Down the line, the demand is more collector based. Value increases still depend on the individual doll and condition of doll.

I was not a fan of big-eyed weird dolls long before Bratz came out. IMO They seem to have a fan group (not referring to general public/kids) with certain elements that are questionable & creepy.

I'm stopping at the store on my way home from work. I never really was bothered by the Bratz dolls. I love dolls and have a small collection. Maybe I'm niave but I don't see them as having a detrimental effect on little girls. I played with Barbies ever since I knew what they were. I was disappointed when I gree up that I didn't have a 40C bust, 18 inch waist and no hips but I made out okay. I didn't rush to the plastic surgeon. I don't think any little girls are going to turn into hoochies because they had a Bratz doll. But I do respect that some parents may think they're inappropriate for children.

YAY!!! By the time my little girl is old enough hopefully I won't see many of these anymore. They look wayyyyyyyy too much like the girls I used to go to high school with.

By the same token I don't see how Mattel was able to win...they look nothing even similar to Barbie.

I don't think the ruling was because Bratz dolls look similar to Barbie. I think it was because the individual that designed the doll was actually working for Mattel at the time.

At least that's how I understood it.

Oh this couldn't have come soon enough! My daughter keeps asking for Bratz (ahe's 4), and has even convinced herself that Santa is bringing her one (NEVER happening!!!!). I despise these dolls and have since the day I first layed eyes on them. Their makeup is fit for a strip club, and so are their clothes. In no way will I let my daughter feel it is okay to wear clothes or makeup like that. Even some of the Barbies are a bit over the top, but not ALL of them.

My son got off work earlier than I did today so I asked him to pick one up for me. Bless his heart. I know he was embarrassed.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GravityHurts
Back