974 users online (163 members and 811 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

CT - Rapist charged in '80s murders of three Hartford teens

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28080388/

HARTFORD, Conn. - A registered sex offender was charged Friday with killing three Hartford girls in the 1980s, and a man who has served 20 years in prison for one of the deaths is seeking a new trial.

Pedro Miranda, 51, was arrested at his New Britain home and charged with multiple counts of murder stemming from a cold case investigation by state and local police and state prosecutors.

Miranda is charged with killing 16-year-old Rosa Valentin in 1986, 13-year-old Mayra Cruz in 1987, and 17-year-old Carmen Lopez in 1988.

Someone was convicted for the Lopez case, they will likely have a new trial at the very least.

Here is a thread that mentions one of the victims, Mayra Cruz:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35289

Thanks for the info and links Chicago. Too bad an innocent man spent 20 years in prison. They knew at the time the DNA didn't match him but a jailhouse snitch said he "confessed".
    Miranda can be connected to all three women, not just DNA. Who knows what else this guy has done. Here is another link with lot's of detail.

http://www.courant.com/community/new...,5676537.story

Wondering if he can be linked to any of the other teen girl slayings from the '80's....there was quite a string that went up into MA, IIRC...
    email me

Long Lost Love: The Bob Harrod Story Disappeared/ID Network
    Amazon: Purchase Long Lost Love $1.99

Bob Harrod SAR

“The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Quote Originally Posted by colette View Post
    Thanks for the info and links Chicago. Too bad an innocent man spent 20 years in prison. They knew at the time the DNA didn't match him but a jailhouse snitch said he "confessed".
    Miranda can be connected to all three women, not just DNA. Who knows what else this guy has done. Here is another link with lot's of detail.

http://www.courant.com/community/new...,5676537.story
    The innocent man in prison for 20 years is why I am anti DP, which is not a popular position when it comes to crime. I just see too many innocent people released because of DNA. God knows how many have been executed by mistake because we didn't have DNA.

Quote Originally Posted by chicagofa13 View Post
    The innocent man in prison for 20 years is why I am anti DP, which is not a popular position when it comes to crime. I just see too many innocent people released because of DNA. God knows how many have been executed by mistake because we didn't have DNA.
    Actually, I am intrigued by the position of the detective who is quoted as saying that he feels Z was responsible for the death of Ann Logan even though the DNA evidence does not match.
    email me

Long Lost Love: The Bob Harrod Story Disappeared/ID Network
    Amazon: Purchase Long Lost Love $1.99

Bob Harrod SAR

“The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them.”
    ― Maya Angelou

And I am wondering if this guy has any ties to the 3 sets of remains found behind the strip mall by Westfarms.

http://www.bristolpress.com/articles...b668426438.txt

HARTFORD — A New Britain man was sentenced Friday to life without parole followed by 100 years in prison for the killing of a pregnant Hartford teenager in 1988 — a crime for which another man was wrongly imprisoned for 20 years.

Pedro Miranda, 53, was convicted in April of murder, felony murder, first-degree kidnapping, and capital felony committed during the course of a kidnapping in the death of 17-year-old Carmen Lopez.

<modsnip>

Miguel Roman, who was dating the teen at the time of her death, was convicted of her murder in 1990. He had served 20 years of a 60-year sentence when attorney Rosemarie Paine brought his case to the attention of the Connecticut Innocence Project, which was able to seek an examination of DNA evidence in the case that eventually linked Miranda to the crime.

<modsnip>
    Last edited by tlcya; 04-03-2015 at 11:53 AM. Reason: please paste no more than 10% of article. Copyright rules.

http://www.courant.com/breaking-news...305-story.html

Miranda was found guilty of murdering Mayra Cruz, a 13 year old girl, killed in 1987.
    "If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you have to find the courage to live it."
    - John Irving in A Prayer for Owen Meany

Unless I provide a link or refer to a specific link, all my ramblings are theories, speculation, scenarios based on what info is available and my own unique life experiences.