1254 users online (237 members and 1017 guests)  

Websleuths News

Studies show dogs have sense of fairness

WASHINGTON – No fair! What parent hasn't heard that from a child who thinks another youngster got more of something? Well, it turns out dogs can react the same way. Ask them to do a trick and they'll give it a try.

For a reward, a sausage say, they'll happily keep at it. But if one dog gets no reward, and then sees another get sausage for doing the same trick, just try to get the first one to do it again. Indeed, he may even turn away and refuse to look at you.

Dogs, like people and monkeys, seem to have a sense of fairness.

"Animals react to inequity," said Friederike Range of the University of Vienna, Austria, who led a team of researchers testing animals at the school's Clever Dog Lab. "To avoid stress, we should try to avoid treating them differently."

Similar responses have been seen in monkeys.

Range said she wasn't surprised at the dogs reaction, since wolves are known to cooperate with one another and appear to be sensitive to each other. Modern dogs are descended from wolves.

In dogs, Wynne noted, the quality of reward didn't seem to matter, so the test only worked when they got no reward at all.
    However, Wynne added, there is "no doubt in my mind that dogs are very, very sensitive to what people are doing and are very smart."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081209/...sc/sci_no_fair

Follow me on the Twitter! @EricDiesel1972

Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

SewingDeb is offline "Sorry, I'm not qualified to land the plane."
    I believe it! My little Buster would eat exactly half of the dry dog food and leave half for his mother. He would not touch it again until the bowl was refilled.

Dogs are very smart.

Quote Originally Posted by SewingDeb View Post
    I believe it! My little Buster would eat exactly half of the dry dog food and leave half for his mother. He would not touch it again until the bowl was refilled.

Dogs are very smart.
    My poodle is this way. He is very smart. I swear he understands English. I can say something fairly complex I don't remember saying to him before, almost to myself, really, and he will do it; for example, "I wish you would get out of the kitchen so I could sweep the floor." I have noticed he does these things even when my directives are not accompanied by gestures, etc.

He is also smart in a bratty way - when I leave him alone more than usual, he will leave me a surprise, and of course, he knows perfectly well he isn't supposed to. When I return home and he has done this he is always hiding. Normally he's all over me when I walk in the door.

Eve

I love that report. It is a little different in my house though. I have a very smart Border Collie and a dumb blond Labrador mix.
    The BC takes full advantage of the Lab's clueless nature. I've seen Gingerbear steal a cookie from Shea and then look at her like, "Oh did you forget that you already ate your cookie?"

I have a female doberman that's very sneaky and bratty! She never touches a thing when I'm in the house. Let me run my kid to school and she's opening cabinet doors and drawers helping herself to a can of Pringles or a bag Doriotos!

She refuses to follow any command given by anyone but me. Even if she is already sitting and my husband says, "sit" she will stand up and glare at him! rofl! He says she takes after me

Quote Originally Posted by CASuzk View Post
    I love that report. It is a little different in my house though. I have a very smart Border Collie and a dumb blond Labrador mix.
    The BC takes full advantage of the Lab's clueless nature. I've seen Gingerbear steal a cookie from Shea and then look at her like, "Oh did you forget that you already ate your cookie?"
    Same with my two!...but was too embarrassed to post it. Where did we go wrong?

Border collies are incredibly smart dogs.
    http://www.petmedsonline.org/top-10-...the-world.html

I don't know. I have a little Papillon who still has to be kenneled at night as she's not completely housebroken yet. I always give her a special treat when she goes to bed and she ALWAYS saves it so she can walk out with it in the morning and flaunt it in front of the Lab and
    Shepherd that she something they don't!!!! Don't see much fairness in THAT- LOL!