Family Finds Letters From 6-Year-Old After Cancer Claims Her

Gray

Reaction score
http://www.wlwt.com/health/18248330/detail.html

Proceeds From Book To Go Toward Cancer Research

A young girl who lost her battle against cancer is continuing to inspire people well after her death thanks to the letters she left behind.

Six-year-old Elena Desserich’s life was turned upside down when she was diagnosed with brain cancer.

Her family said that at the beginning, they were told to expect that Elena would only have about 135 days to live.

During her final days, the girl began writing letters to her family and hid them all over their home.

How wonderful that this little girl was able to leave a memoir of sorts for her family and for other families that may be suffering the same type of tragedy.

It's true that we should all be like children in many ways. This is one perfect example.

I am heartbroken that this little girl left her life here so early. It truly breaks my heart as I imagine my own 6 year old doing this. He loves to write me little notes and letters and I usually find them in my purse or outside my bedroom door. God bless this little girl and her family and may they find peace and healing.

The maturity level of these terminal children always amazes me. It's almost as if God puts a little angel on the planet for a short period of time to show us what good is.

I'm touched by this....and hope I can find the book in my local bookstore!

The maturity level of these terminal children always amazes me. It's almost as if God puts a little angel on the planet for a short period of time to show us what good is.
:blowkiss: And to teach lessons. I learned more when I was 4-5 years old from my best friend with Leukemia than at any other time in my life. I have carried her wisdom with me every day.

I couldn't agree with you more. I lost 2 cousins (brothers) to cancer-and it was amazing to see and hear the wisdom from those 2 little guys. This story just touches me in so many ways. God rest her soul.

The children that survive childhood cancer face more problems as they age. I was ripped watching so many die when my daughter was young and she survived. Now, she is having one ailment/life threatening/disheartening effect after another. It is a lifetime of pain for children who do and those that love them. I can't read what the child wrote as all is too real and daily for me.

Cancer can be cured. Put the money there and save lives vs. destroying lives by fighting needless wars. There is a point where skilled negotiators would be more effective than guns and research and better medicine would save millions.

I would bet that the little girl would have loved to grow up and be able to talk about what we talk about every day. Being normal. She probably knew what her INR was and her hematocrit and was apprised of differing malfunctions and why she had to have other things done to her.

That is not a way for a child to live. Nor is it a way for an abused child to live when that is the case. Children are our future we need to better care for them.

The children that survive childhood cancer face more problems as they age. I was ripped watching so many die when my daughter was young and she survived. Now, she is having one ailment/life threatening/disheartening effect after another. It is a lifetime of pain for children who do and those that love them. I can't read what the child wrote as all is too real and daily for me.

Cancer can be cured. Put the money there and save lives vs. destroying lives by fighting needless wars. There is a point where skilled negotiators would be more effective than guns and research and better medicine would save millions.

I would bet that the little girl would have loved to grow up and be able to talk about what we talk about every day. Being normal. She probably knew what her INR was and her hematocrit and was apprised of differing malfunctions and why she had to have other things done to her.

That is not a way for a child to live. Nor is it a way for an abused child to live when that is the case. Children are our future we need to better care for them.

I'm so sorry you and your daughter and family are going through this. It is horrible. I don't recommend you go to the website-it is truly heartbreaking and I can't stop sobbing, even as I sit here and type this. God bless you and your family.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OwlEyes
Back