GUILTY GA - Glenn Turner, 31, & Randy Thompson, 32, poisoned, Cobb County, 1995 & 2001

Levi

Reaction score
http://courttv.aol.com/trials/turner/051404_verdict_ctv.html
PERRY, Ga. — A Georgia jury found Julia Lynn Turner guilty Friday of murdering her husband in 1995 by feeding him antifreeze.

Moments before the verdict was read, Turner told Courttv.com she was thinking positively and was mentally prepared for any outcome, but added that she would not show any reaction.

True to form, Turner remained completely still and displayed no emotion as she was pronounced guilty of "malice murder" at about 7:30 p.m., and immediately sentenced to mandatory life imprisonment.

Turner, 35, was charged with the killing of her husband, Cobb County police officer Maurice Glenn Turner, 31.

Turner is also a suspect, but has not been charged, in the 2001 antifreeze-poisoning death of Forsyth County firefighter Randy Thompson, 32, with whom she had been having an affair at the time of her husband's death.

Glenn Turner died in 1995 a day after being admitted to the emergency room with flu-like symptoms.

Lynn Turner's family sat quietly and did not cry when the verdict was announced. The families of the two victims sat in the second and third rows of the courthouse, holding hands and trying to fight back audible sobs as each juror affirmed the decision.

For the relatives of Glenn Turner, it was a breathtaking outcome, an answer to a question they waited nine years to understand: How did a healthy man die so young?

On March 2, 1995, Glenn Turner was admitted to the emergency room complaining of flu-like symptoms, but was released after reportedly feeling better. He died alone at home the next day and his death was initially attributed to an enlarged heart.

Six years later, Randy Thompson died shortly after visiting an ER with some of the same symptoms. His death was also ruled heart failure, but when a Georgia Bureau of Investigation medical examiner found calcium oxalate crystals — the telltale sign of ethylene glycol poisoning — in Thompson's kidneys, authorities exhumed Glenn's body and found the same crystals in his kidney tissues.

Lynn Turner is also a suspect in the death of her boyfriend, Randy Thompson, who also died of antifreeze poisoning.

"The simplest solution is correct: Two men died of ethylene glycol poisoning, two men were having a relationship with Lynn Turner," prosecutor Patrick Head said during closing arguments Friday.

Turner's defense had asserted that the two deaths were not all similar, and there was no direct evidence tying her to the only murder she was charged with — her husband's.

But in what may have been a critical decision, Superior Court Judge James Bodiford allowed prosecutors to present evidence about Thompson's death and his relationship with Lynn.

"I think a higher court is going to really have to take a look at that," defense attorney Jim Berry told reporters. "We heard more evidence on the Thompson case than the Turner case. If we had tried the Glenn Turner case alone, in my heart I believe the verdict would have been different."

Jury foreman John Glover told reporters that the similarity of the ethylene glycol in both men, romantically linked to one woman, played a major part in their finding.

Yet after deliberating for almost five hours, Glover said, not one juror left the room until each knew "in our hearts and our minds" that they had made the right decision.

Lynn Turner was taken into custody, outside the presence of the courtroom and the cameras, and transferred back to Cobb County where she will be permitted to spend a short period with her two children, whom she had with Thompson, before being taken to prison.

Prosecutor Jack Mallard said that a Forsyth County grand jury will meet some time in June regarding the Thompson case.

Perry Thompson, the father of firefighter Randy Thompson, said that the ordeal had created a common bond between the two deceased men's families, and that he looked forward to seeing justice brought to his son.

He acknowledged, however, that it was difficult for all families involved.

"Our thoughts and prayers go out to them," Thompson said, referring to Lynn Turner's parents. "It's a sad situation for everybody."

I agreed with this verdict, because of the coincidence, of having two people in your love life life turning up dead, by the same poisining chemicals (Antifreeze) I watched alot of the live testmony becuase Court TV's daily trial & News programs covered the whole trial, start to finish, & I noticed she never really paid any attention to the testomony, it was like she really did't give a damn what happened to her. She told Courttv.com reporters that she was prepared for any verdict. Court TV anchor Nancy Grace said every time she was outside when the court was in break she would be talking on the cell phone every time. I wonder if after the verdict if she was talking on the cell phone, becuase she had no emotion what so ever while the verdict was read, or after the verdict was read. She was sentenced to life in prison right after the verdict, I am just wondering if she thinks she will be free, while her lawyers plan for an appeal. She is going to be in a jail a long time, & she hasn't even went up for trial for feeding her boyfriend antifreeze yet, & when it goes to trial, my bet she is going to be proven guilty.

I watched this trial and I very much agree with the verdict! That woman is as guilty as sin! I hope they go after her for Randy Thompson's murder too.

Just the fact that she had two men her life, turn up dead, with antifreeze the same time, is enough for me.

Very interesting and unusual case. Yep, I think the jury made the right decision. Too bad it was only a circumstantial case and she wasn't given the death penalty. Georgia law is very strange in regards to being given the death penalty.
I look forward to her being tried in the Randy Thompson case, and make no mistake, she will be.
Of course there will be appeals, that is expected.
Lynn Turner will adjust to prison life, she has no choice. I am sure, however, her life will not be pleasant.

Anti-freeze Killer Wants New Trial

The woman convicted of using anti-freeze to kill her husband – a Cobb County police officer – returns to court Monday to request a new trial.

Lynn Turner – a former 911 operator, judge's aide, sheriff's assistant and district attorney's secretary – showed no emotion in May 2004, when a jury found her guilty in the 1995 anti-freeze poisoning death of her husband, Glenn Turner. Lynn sentenced to life in prison, where she remains.

The conviction came despite the fact that no one could testify to actually seeing Lynn Turner commit the crime. Prosecutors placed the bulk of their case on the rare cause of death between two men romantically linked to the same woman.

Previously determined to have died of caridac dysrhythmia, the Cobb police officer’s original cause of death changed after Randy Thompson, the father of Lynn Turner's two children, died in 2001. Thompson’s rare cause of death – poisoning from ethylene glycol, an ingredient found in antifreeze – led to Glenn Turner’s body being exhumed and tested for an ethylene glycol presence. It turned up in his liver.

Months after Turner’s conviction of murdering her husband, a grand jury in Forsyth indicted her for malice murder in the death of Thompson, a Forsyth County firefighter and former Sheriff’s deputy.

Turner’s attorneys have long-maintained that evidence used from Thompson’s death in the trial concerning Glenn Turner’s murder is what sunk the mother of two.

“In all candor, once that decision was made by the court, the die was pretty much cast in the case,” said defense attorney Vic Reynolds.

Prosecuting attorneys announced that, based on her first conviction, they would be seeking the death penalty against Turner when Thompson’s murder goes to trial. While defense attorneys say that isn’t fair, prosecutors have pointed out that the Georgia Supreme Court did allow using both men’s deaths against Lynn Turner during the first trial.

More: http://www.11alive.com/rss/article.aspx?storyid=71915

PrayersForMaura said:
Anti-freeze Killer Wants New Trial

The woman convicted of using anti-freeze to kill her husband – a Cobb County police officer – returns to court Monday to request a new trial.

Lynn Turner – a former 911 operator, judge's aide, sheriff's assistant and district attorney's secretary – showed no emotion in May 2004, when a jury found her guilty in the 1995 anti-freeze poisoning death of her husband, Glenn Turner. Lynn sentenced to life in prison, where she remains.

The conviction came despite the fact that no one could testify to actually seeing Lynn Turner commit the crime. Prosecutors placed the bulk of their case on the rare cause of death between two men romantically linked to the same woman.

Previously determined to have died of caridac dysrhythmia, the Cobb police officer’s original cause of death changed after Randy Thompson, the father of Lynn Turner's two children, died in 2001. Thompson’s rare cause of death – poisoning from ethylene glycol, an ingredient found in antifreeze – led to Glenn Turner’s body being exhumed and tested for an ethylene glycol presence. It turned up in his liver.

Months after Turner’s conviction of murdering her husband, a grand jury in Forsyth indicted her for malice murder in the death of Thompson, a Forsyth County firefighter and former Sheriff’s deputy.

Turner’s attorneys have long-maintained that evidence used from Thompson’s death in the trial concerning Glenn Turner’s murder is what sunk the mother of two.

“In all candor, once that decision was made by the court, the die was pretty much cast in the case,” said defense attorney Vic Reynolds.

Prosecuting attorneys announced that, based on her first conviction, they would be seeking the death penalty against Turner when Thompson’s murder goes to trial. While defense attorneys say that isn’t fair, prosecutors have pointed out that the Georgia Supreme Court did allow using both men’s deaths against Lynn Turner during the first trial.

More: http://www.11alive.com/rss/article.aspx?storyid=71915
Wanting and getting are two different things.

BillyGoatGruff said:
Wanting and getting are two different things.

Well, it seems to me that they could be trying her for two murders, so maybe she needs to keep her lip zipped. :confused: :confused:

DALTON, Ga. — A former 911 operator was convicted Saturday of murdering her boyfriend by poisoning him with antifreeze.

Lynn Turner could face a death sentence in the 2001 killing of Randy Thompson, a Forsyth County firefighter and the father of her two children. The same jury that convicted Turner will return to court at 9 a.m. Monday to decide whether to impose that sentence.

She is already serving a life sentence for the 1995 death of her husband, Glenn Turner, a Cobb County police officer. The murder charge in Thompson's death was filed after that 2004 conviction.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,260905,00.html

I hope they do give her the death penalty. She murdered two men and that is what she deserves. Right now she is already serving a life time sentence with no parole I am assuming...I hope. I she doesn't get the death penalty it will be like she is not getting punished for the second murder.

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/northfulton/stories/2007/03/26/0326turner.html

DALTON -- In an emotional plea for mercy, the mother of convicted antifreeze killer Lynn Turner pleaded with the jury today not to put her daughter to death. "I beg you please, please don't," Helen Gregory said, her voice breaking as she faced the jury.

<snip>

The former 911 operator was convicted Saturday of malice murder for the 2001 antifreeze poisoning of her boyfriend, Forsyth County firefighter Randy Thompson, the father of her two children.

If sentenced to death, Turner would be one of only two women on Georgia's death row. Kelly Gissendaner, a Gwinnett County mother of three, was sentenced to death in 1997 for staging the murder of her husband by her boyfriend.

Turner, 38, of Cumming, is already serving a life sentence for the murder of her husband, Glenn Turner, a 31-year-old Cobb County police officer who died in 1995, also of antifreeze poisoning. She was convicted in May 2004 in Houston County, where the trial was moved due to pretrial publicity.

<snip>

Forsyth District Attorney Penny Penn put up no witnesses in the sentencing portion of the trial, preferring to rest on the strength of the trial's evidence.

<snip>

Gregory described her daughter as a loving child whose love for car racing was instilled in her by her uncle, Gregory's brother. As a little girl, she loved to help him work on his cars. She was a good student growing up, Gregory said, and is an "excellent mother."

more at link

Hard to argue someone is such a great mom when she murders their dad. :hand:

I hope she gets the DP too after the brutal way she killed two men. I bet if she had the chance she would have gone on to kill a few more men. She needs to be punished further.

Gozgals

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/northfulton/stories/2007/03/27/032707metturner.html

Turner gets life with no parole

DALTON — Lynn Turner, painted by prosecutors as a classic black widow who lured two law enforcement officers into her life, then killed them for their money by poisoning them with antifreeze, was sentenced today to spend the rest of her life in prison.

After nearly five hours deliberating her fate, the same jury who convicted her Saturday of the murder of Randy Thompson, a former deputy sheriff in Forsyth County and the father of her two children, spared her of the death penalty, sentencing her to life in prison with no chance of parole.

Her attorneys said they will appeal the sentence.

<snip>

The former 911 operator is already serving a life sentence for the 1995 poisoning murder of her husband, Cobb County police officer Glenn Turner. She would have been eligible for parole after 14 years. But her second conviction has stripped her of any chance for parole.

<snip>

The death penalty phase of the hearing was unusually swift. Defense attorneys put up only two witnesses; the prosecution had none.

more at link

I hope she gets the DP too after the brutal way she killed two men. I bet if she had the chance she would have gone on to kill a few more men. She needs to be punished further.

Gozgals
Just curious....was the alleged motive money?Do you believe she was a serial killer? No matter what, another senseless killing. I believe she might have gotten the DP if not for her mother & two children. LWOP is just as bad, if not worse...a2me.:boohoo:

Just curious....was the alleged motive money?Do you believe she was a serial killer? No matter what, another senseless killing. I believe she might have gotten the DP if not for her mother & two children. LWOP is just as bad, if not worse...a2me.:boohoo:

ITA that LWOP is worse.

I believe that the prosecution alleged that the motive was money. In one of the cases (hard to remember which evidence goes with which) she expected to get a $200K life insurance policy which her husband/boyfriend had through work but he had let it lapse without telling her. Oops!

But I do think she was a sort of slow-moving serial killer. If she had gotten away with it I think she would have kept going. The only reason she was caught was b/c someone who knew her history put it together and tipped a reporter.

What kills me is how she totally emotionless she has been since day 1. She listened to that trial for her life like she was listening to an accounting lecture in college.

She has a thread here:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7630&highlight=Lynn+Turner

From Today:
http://www.ajc.com/news/cobb/gbi-to-investigate-antifreeze-602557.html

Snip:

b

By Christian Boone

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Former 911 operator Lynn Turner, convicted of poisoning and killing her husband and boyfriend with antifreeze, has died, a state Department of Corrections official confirmed.

Turner was found unresponsive in her cell at Metro State Prison at 6:55 a.m. Monday, said DOC spokeswoman Sharmelle Brooks. Prison medical staff were unable to revive her and she was pronounced dead 40 minutes later.

*Mods, please merge if already posted, Thanks!*

Wow...I remember reading about this case and watching a few shows on it...bad karma I guess...

Thank you LaWanda!

I remember this woman. I appreciate the update.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biff
Back