1370 users online (247 members and 1123 guests)  


The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News


Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Not Of This World
    Posts
    21,642

    Year's Biggest Full Moon Friday Night

    The full moon Friday night will be the biggest one of the year as Earth's natural satellite reaches its closest point to our planet.


    Earth, the moon and the sun are all bound together by gravity, which keeps us going around the sun and keeps the moon going around us as it goes through phases. The moon makes a trip around Earth every 29.5 days. But the orbit is not a perfect circle.


    The moon's average distance from us is about 238,855 miles (384,400 km). Friday night it will be just 221,560 miles (356,567 km) away. It will be 14 percent bigger in our sky and 30 percent brighter than some other full moons during the year, according to NASA.


    Tides will be higher Friday night, too. Earth's oceans are pulled by the gravity of the moon and the sun. So when the moon is closer, tides are pulled higher. Scientists call these perigean tides, because the moon's closest point to Earth is called perigee. The farthest point on the lunar orbit is called apogee.

    The moon will rise Friday evening right around sunset, no matter where you are. That's because of the celestial mechanics that produce a full moon: The moon and the sun are on opposite sides of the Earth, so that sunlight hits the full face of the moon and bounces back to our eyes.


    At moonrise, the moon will appear even larger than it will later in the night when it's higher in the sky. This is an illusion that scientists can't fully explain. Some think it has to do with our perception of things on the horizon vs. stuff overhead.

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20081211/sc_space/yearsbiggestfullmoonfridaynight;_ylt=Ai6GvUDb4_pI0 4vEzyfJ47ms0NUE


    Follow me on the Twitter! @EricDiesel1972

    Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

    10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

    Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

    Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    30,910
    Thank you!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    MD 'burbs of Washington DC
    Posts
    5,902
    I just came in from shooting it! Hopefully I will get some down time and be able to offload the shots to share.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    MD 'burbs of Washington DC
    Posts
    5,902
    Here it is... shot at the long of my 100-400 lens... it was the best I could get with having no tripod and poor surroundings (I wanted to do a landscape shot with terrestrial objects in the foreground, but it had to be done off the cuff, so I just went with a direct moon rising shot). I just went outside to see if it was worth dragging the scope outside to shoot it, but the clouds have won out.



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    heaven bound
    Posts
    4,830
    Quote Originally Posted by Elphaba View Post
    I just came in from shooting it! Hopefully I will get some down time and be able to offload the shots to share.

    Please share with me! I can send u my email thru pm, or if u wanna share with us all that's cool.
    I saw it pretty big around 5:45-6:15 here in GA....after that, it looked just like any other fullish moon.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Chico, CA
    Posts
    23,126
    Figures

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    4,915
    Quote Originally Posted by Elphaba View Post
    Here it is... shot at the long of my 100-400 lens... it was the best I could get with having no tripod and poor surroundings (I wanted to do a landscape shot with terrestrial objects in the foreground, but it had to be done off the cuff, so I just went with a direct moon rising shot). I just went outside to see if it was worth dragging the scope outside to shoot it, but the clouds have won out.



    WOW!
    Check out updated daily: Tricia's Tidbits

    Some days I feel like a tumbleweed blowing in the wind....


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2,523
    Quote Originally Posted by Elphaba View Post
    Here it is... shot at the long of my 100-400 lens... it was the best I could get with having no tripod and poor surroundings (I wanted to do a landscape shot with terrestrial objects in the foreground, but it had to be done off the cuff, so I just went with a direct moon rising shot). I just went outside to see if it was worth dragging the scope outside to shoot it, but the clouds have won out.



    Beautiful!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Lone Star State
    Posts
    6,295
    OH what a beautiful moon photo!

    Thanks!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    17,719
    I'm not seeing it here, DK; it must be cloudy. I did notice an almost-full moon earlier tonight.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    102
    I saw it when I was out earlier and it literally took my breath away!!

  12. #12
    It is beautiful. I was out earlier and the huge moon reminded me of my family. We are in different locations now they are out on their own, but we are always connected by the moon and the sunsets. I make sure they still pay attention to those small details in their hectic lives today.

    I used to drop everything to take the kids outside to see both. Sometimes, we would drive to beautiful settings to watch together as the sun went down then wait on that moon to fill the night sky. There were even times I would awaken them and we would hop in the car to find a hillside where we would lay on top of the car to quietly watch the shooting stars cuddled underneath our blankets. Ah, what lovely memories!

    Oh, Elphaba! Your photo is exquisite!! Very impressive!! I am in awe.
    "WE SEEK FOR THE TRUTH. WE SEEK JUSTICE.
    THE COURTS REQUIRE IT. THE VICTIMS CRY FOR IT
    AND GOD DEMANDS IT!"

    A quote spray painted on the wall by search
    and rescue workers, Team 5, at the OKC Bombing site 4-19-1995.



    What I post are my opinions only.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    17,719
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriouslySearching View Post
    It is beautiful. I was out earlier and the huge moon reminded me of my family. We are in different locations now they are out on their own, but we are always connected by the moon and the sunsets. I make sure they still pay attention to those small details in their hectic lives today.

    I used to drop everything to take the kids outside to see both. Sometimes, we would drive to beautiful settings to watch together as the sun went down then wait on that moon to fill the night sky. There were even times I would awaken them and we would hop in the car to find a hillside where we would lay on top of the car to quietly watch the shooting stars cuddled underneath our blankets. Ah, what lovely memories!
    Oh, Elphaba! Your photo is exquisite!! Very impressive!! I am in awe.
    That's great! It's fun to study the constellations. I live in a place where we don't have alot of light, so we can often see the stars really well and and occasionally a shooting star.

    My biggest thrill has been to watch the Space Shuttle seem to go right over our house one night.

    ELPHABA:
    That photo is really neat - why does the moon look brown? (more closeup?) Just curious. I don't know much about photography.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,083
    Quote Originally Posted by Elphaba View Post
    Here it is... shot at the long of my 100-400 lens... it was the best I could get with having no tripod and poor surroundings (I wanted to do a landscape shot with terrestrial objects in the foreground, but it had to be done off the cuff, so I just went with a direct moon rising shot). I just went outside to see if it was worth dragging the scope outside to shoot it, but the clouds have won out.


    It's beautiful! Thanks for sharing such a stunning shot! Maybe I can use the scope I got last year to take my mind off of things. Stunning!



Similar Threads

  1. 'Supermoon' Alert: Biggest Full Moon of 2012 Occurs This Week
    By Dark Knight in forum Up to the Minute
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 05-06-2012, 02:26 PM
  2. Biggest and Brightest Full Moon of 2010 Tonight
    By Dark Knight in forum Up to the Minute
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-31-2010, 11:11 AM
  3. Saturday Night Special: Biggest Full Moon of 2009 (Already!)
    By Dark Knight in forum Up to the Minute
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 01-13-2009, 02:46 PM
  4. Full Moon Over England
    By XcomSquaddie in forum Up to the Minute
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-05-2008, 12:08 PM