GUILTY UT - Brian Mitchell & Wanda Barzee for kidnapping, Salt Lake City, 5 June 2002

SHE JUST MAY BE A LITTLE WACKO!! :crazy:

Barzee's attorneys, David Finlayson and Scott Williams, filed a motion Wednesday in which Barzee asked the court to rule ''at its discretion'' without an evidence hearing, though she did not agree with the experts who found her incompetent.

''I do not believe myself to be mentally ill or infirm or incompetent in the eyes of the Lord,'' she said in the court document.

:rolleyes: ''understand the special nature of my relationship with God and my role as a minister and servant unto Him. ... Their inability to understand is also a result of their different belief system, and the influence of Satan's subtle powers on them.''

01/09/04 04:12 EST :doh:

This woman is as bad as he is.... she is a Mom for goodness sake yet she assisted in the sexual assult of Elisabeth and the abuse and control of her.

I am sorry she is not standing trial, I hope she stays locked away from the public forever.

SALT LAKE CITY (Reuters) - One of Utah teenager Elizabeth Smart's kidnappers who held her captive for nine months under terrible conditions on Friday was ruled mentally incompetent to stand trial.

More can be read here

Maybe he brainwashed her as well. I still say she should stand trial for all the hell they put that little girl thru. Mentally ill or not. I think they knew right from wrong or they wouldn't have concealed her like they did.

alpharee said:
Maybe he brainwashed her as well. I still say she should stand trial for all the hell they put that little girl thru. Mentally ill or not. I think they knew right from wrong or they wouldn't have concealed her like they did.

I totally agree. She wouldn't have been threatened that her family was going to be killed if she asked for help. This makes me so angry. Hiding out in the woods and chaining her to her tree for, what was it? Three months? Hopefully, Brian David Mitchell will not be found incompetent.

I cannot believe that Ed Smart said that Elizabeth would be better of in the long run if both were committed. To me, they DON'T WANT these people punished. I would want nothing but justice for my child.

Also, I think Wanda is very smart. I don't buy that she's incompetent. If all she says is "it's Gods choice, it's Gods way, it's our right..." Well, I could come up with those phrases too. It's not like she didn't know she was speaking to a psychologist. Don't buy it.

One Year Anniversary of Elizabeth Smart's Return Home

Here's a link from a newspaper in SCL on the one year after the rescue of Elizabeth Smart. http://www.sltrib.com/2004/Mar/03122004/utah/147010.asp

Here's another SLC paper on one year since end of kidnapping.
http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,595048479,00.html

Columnist Lee Benson speaks out on one year after along with former SLC detective Cory Lyman. Seems most LE believes that case is kidnapping as Lyman & Dave Smart have been invited to speak at a police chiefs association in June. Excellent article.

http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,595048464,00.html

If she was capable of understanding she was in a park and had to keep their captive from ever being alone, then she can understand that she is in a courtroom and has to assist her counsel in her defense.

No argument from me on that one, but to assist in her own defense, she would first have to admit she was wrong.

It is just as wonderful remembering that day now as when it happened. Where would she be today if those citizens had not called in after seeing them, would she be a pregnant teenage Mom, feeling she could never go back?? Thankfully we will NEVER know.

God Bless Her and her family. ENJOY YOUR LIFE ELIZABETH!

Judge Finds Elizabeth Smart Kidnapping Suspect Competent to Stand Trial

Aug 31, 2004 9:42 am US/Mountain

A judge on Tuesday found a homeless man competent to stand trial in the kidnapping of teenager Elizabeth Smart, bringing an early end to what had been expected to be a three-day hearing to gauge Brian Mitchell's mental state.

Details of what led Judge Judith Atherton to the quick ruling were not immediately available.

Mitchell, 50, and wife Wanda Barzee, 58, are both charged with kidnapping the then-14-year-old from her bedroom at knifepoint in 2002 and keeping her for nine months in Utah and California.

http://kutv.com/topstories/local_story_244114752.html

Prosecutors dropped a bombshell in the Elizabeth Smart kidnapping case today, revealing Brian David Mitchell and Wanda Eileen Barzee were indicted by a state grand jury last September -- a document that has remained secret until it was unsealed this morning. :eek:

http://sltrib.com/ci_2406278#top

Secret document unsealed in Elizabeth Smart case
Prosecutors dropped a bombshell in the Elizabeth Smart kidnapping case today, revealing Brian David Mitchell and Wanda Eileen Barzee were indicted by a state grand jury last September -- a document that has remained secret until it was unsealed this morning. :eek:

http://sltrib.com/ci_2406278#top

"The indictment means Elizabeth Smart will not have to testify at such a public hearing. Nor will anyone she spoke to about the kidnapping have to testify about details of the case at this stage of the prosecution. "

EXCELLENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :dance: Elizabeth will be spared further trauma and I GURANTEE these nutcases will go away for a lonnnggggggggggg time!

messiecake said:
"The indictment means Elizabeth Smart will not have to testify at such a public hearing. Nor will anyone she spoke to about the kidnapping have to testify about details of the case at this stage of the prosecution. "

EXCELLENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :dance: Elizabeth will be spared further trauma and I GURANTEE these nutcases will go away for a lonnnggggggggggg time!

I bet that there are already plea bargain talks taking place with Mitchell's lawyer. I hope he goes away for a couple of "forevers!"

http://tv.ksl.com/index.php?nid=5&sid=126422

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) -- Attorneys for the man accused of kidnapping Elizabeth Smart have filed a pretrial motion for the jury to be sequestered during the three-week trial in February.

Sequestration is virtually unheard of in Utah, though it's occasionally requested in capital murder and other high-profile cases. Instead, judges typically rely on admonishing jurors to avoid news coverage and refrain from discussing the case.

Wow, they can't go to restaurants or church or anything.....goodness - I would starve, lol. :blushing:

I wonder how they know it will be three weeks? :waitasec:

I have no problem in the defense asking the jury to be sequestered, but I think some of the other things are absurd, like dictating what clothes the Smart family can wear, and placing them somewhere in the court where the jury cannot see their emotions. They, along with Elizabeth, were the victims. They, along with Elizabeth, are going to have to relive the events. It is ludicrous to think they wouldn't have emotion, and to have emotion, as long as it is not disruptive to the proceedings should be their right. If they allow Mitchell to be out of his prison jumpsuit, it should be back into his robes he chose to wear for the past 10 years or so. Wonder if they will have him shave and be in a suit? That to me would not be an accurate reflection of who he was or is. I'm not sure how I feel about them visiting the campsite or the home...reserving comment for now on those two things. As far as the three week timeframe, I think the DA and the attorneys pretty much can calculate the amount of time a trial should take.

http://tv.ksl.com/index.php?sid=136682&nid=5

Elizabeth Smart's accused kidnapper will undergo another round of competency evaluations. The judge's decision came after a bizarre morning in court.

Mitchell appeared in court this morning wearing a tan jumpsuit, and had his hands handcuffed behind his back.
As he sat down, he began singing the Christmas hymn, 'O Come, O Come, Emmanuel'. He continued to sing even after the judge asked him to stop -- and then was removed from the courtroom. :doh:

Delay! Delay! Delay! He was already found competent to stand trial once. He knows what he's doing! :loser:

How is it that this nasty man is able to keep all that hair and long beard in jail?? I would think they would make him shave it all off. Gross!!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bosie
Back