Should False Leads and "Sightings" be Prosecuted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

swa

Reaction score
I say YES!

All of these people -- especially the "incredible tip" at the Airport -- and the guy who claimed he saw Casey in the big floppy hat -- should ALL be rounded up and charged.

I absolutely hate these "sightings" that always occur by people who want nothing more than attention and to inject themselves into a case.

BOO!

Anything that caused LE to divert their work/time on wild goose chases..... yes.
And they need to go after recovering their vast costs (100k +) in this case.

Maybe some of them really thought it's her and wanted to help.....not their fault that the A's took advantage of it.....

No -- the airport tipster said the little girl said something like "The girl told me her name was Cay--lee Anthony" --

Which obviously was a load of crap.

I would like to think it's like filing a false police report but the reality is that you don't want to discourage people when a true Amber Alert goes out.

No -- the airport tipster said the little girl said something like "The girl told me her name was Cay--lee Anthony" --

Didn't know about that.

I think the people (other than the A's) that reported sightings should NOT be prosecuted. They believed they saw Caylee and did the right thing by reporting it to the authorities.

If there was missing child and the people that reported sightings got prosecuted for the lead not being valid than you can believe that others would not report in the future. This would be a huge mistake!!!

I think that lady had ulterior motives. I'm not sure what these motives were though.

You can't prosecute anybody for giving a tip. False or otherwise. If they saw someone who looked like Caylee and felt doing the right thing would be to report it what harm is there in that? Who knows that it might not have been her. Until she was found they had an obligation to check those tips out.

Covering up should be prosecuted but not calling in tips. IMO

deliberate ones ya they should ...like the one where the person said caylee said her name that is bs ...

Well, this particular person has had her face on tv. I would imagine that when all is said and done she's going to feel a bit stupid.

But you don't want to prevent folks from reporting a sighting. It just needs to be done properly - to LE - not to anybody else. LE can look into it and be somewhat discreet about it. They did look into her tip and nothing came of it.

That's a slippery slope IMO...of course I say "YES" but provong their intent to purposely mis-lead LE may be difficult...even total BS tips...like airport lady..if SHE believed it...it could deter people in the future for wanting to help LE by reporting tips...

-BUT- people like CA/GA..who stir up continual contraversy..and publicly bad mouth LE for not biting on the tips...yes yes yes..........

I think that lady had ulterior motives. I'm not sure what these motives were though.

Yuri in his interview with CA, said that she was looking to get on TV for 15 minutes of fame.

Yes....... they should be prosecuted! Especially the tweeker scrap metal (can collecter) dude whos only intention was to get his 15 minutes of fame. It was so obvious he was not being truthful. I think LE had a little chat with him and told him they were on to his scheme. If I recall he was also told not to search for Caylee.

That whole story was so far fetched, and it made me gag when the media and Nancy Grace broadcasted his story without checking out his backround. The whole floppy hat, sunglasses, man in a suit, shovel, bag, white sunfire with a bra, story was so off the wall.......but I guess the media was bored at the time and just grasping for any story they could get their hands on.

I say lock him up for sure!!!:behindbar

Unless the tipster intentionally tried to mislead LE, I say no. I believe some of these people truly thought they saw Caylee.

Lots to discuss here. Please watch TOS violations, things like being rude to each other, snarkiness and name calling of anyone are all earning holiday vacations.
Please review all rules if you don't know what constitutes a violation.

I think you would have to be able to prove intent. If you can prove the intention was there to deliberately mislead LE-then absolutely!!:mad:

That whole story was so far fetched, and it made me gag when the media and Nancy Grace broadcasted his story without checking out his backround. The whole floppy hat, sunglasses, man in a suit, shovel, bag, white sunfire with a bra, story was so off the wall.......but I guess the media was bored at the time and just grasping for any story they could get their hands on.

I say lock him up for sure!!!:behindbar

And they would have to lockup the 5000 or so people who sent in psychic tips.

NO! It's hard enough to get people to call in.

The truth is, most folks are not going to remember 100% what the lost child looked like. They are just going to know the child looks some what like the missing child. Should they call? It still might be the missing child. If it was your missing child, you would want such calls. You get a grouping of such calls in an area, the LE is goign to know it's a real possiblity.

A lot of folks are just IDing the best they can.

Sadly, these calls are not just about sightings. Lots of dreasm, guesses, ideas, theorys also get called in and clog the lines. I noticed some folks that post here called in such things. Should the be persecuted for wasting LE's time? Some might think those folks were just trying to get their 15 mintues of fame. But most the time the caller really wants to help. And are giving all they got.

Many folks don't realize that the "tips' hotline is for concrete type of tips. Like the criminal told them something, and that something is considered a "Tip' they can tell the LE. Or they know the criminal, and know the car, etc.. they own, their friends, etc. Those are real tips.

Unless they know and can prove the caller did so with a negative intent, then the shouldn't be prosecuted. The others, they are just doing the best they can to help.

The guy who says he saw Casey with the straw/floppy hat didn't bother to get a plate number. That shows it is bogus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasCuriousMynd