729 users online (104 members and 625 guests)  

Websleuths News

GA - Boy Says Parents Shot Him With Pellet Guns

This is very near my home....heartbreaking.

OCONEE COUNTY, Ga. -- Oconee County sheriff's officials say a couple beat their 12-year-old son, shot him with pellet guns, pepper-sprayed him and handcuffed him in a closet for hours. The parents claim it was discipline.

Police said what the 12-year-old boy told sheriff’s deputies is heartbreaking. The boy’s mother and stepfather are now being held at the Oconee County Jail. The sheriff said the incidents came to their attention when the boy’s 6-year-old brother told a teacher what was going on at home.

Oconee County Sheriff Scott Berry showed pictures to Channel 2's Rachel Kim the 12-year-old boy drew for police officials. The pictures depict how the boy said his parents kept him tied up in a dark closet with his face against the wall, on his knees.
    more: http://www.wsbtv.com/news/18284162/detail.html

So sad. How do people do this? What do they think? I will never understand. I am glad both boys are now with CPS. Hopefully they will find a safe and sane placement where the boys will be loved and safe.

Prayers to these young men,

Salem

I really will never understand how this moms can sit by while there children and painfully abused. Just the thought of somebody hitting my kid or calling them a name and i would be all over them ,with or without the threat of harm to myself. My job is to protect provide and nurture.
    I really think we need harsher laws on people who abuse there kids. IF you cannot treat your own child correctly then you really offer no benifit to society. And if reports are made of abuse the dept of cps should be allowed to install nanny cams. Something really needs to be done to prevent children from falling in the cracks.
    I want people to spend years in jail have their picture posted like sex offenders have to . I think we should be notifed when child abusers move in you neighborhood. (sorry ranting )

Dated January 2010

http://www.wneg32.tv/index.php?optio...news&Itemid=18

OCONEE COUNTY - New information tonight in the case of a man and a woman who were charged with torturing their young son. It's a case that dates all the way back to December 2008.
    Damita Peak, mother of the then 8-year-old boy who was allegedly tortured, has been hit with 28 new charges following the release of more records from the Department of Family and Child Services. This is in addition to the 14 that she was already facing after in the case against her.

---can't believe this is taking so long.

wow 42 charges on her.

she better get a long term.

way to go to the 6 year old for speaking up for his brother who was obviously too petrified to do so........

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska4959 View Post
    Dated January 2010

http://www.wneg32.tv/index.php?optio...news&Itemid=18

OCONEE COUNTY - New information tonight in the case of a man and a woman who were charged with torturing their young son. It's a case that dates all the way back to December 2008.
    Damita Peak, mother of the then 8-year-old boy who was allegedly tortured, has been hit with 28 new charges following the release of more records from the Department of Family and Child Services. This is in addition to the 14 that she was already facing after in the case against her.

---can't believe this is taking so long.
    BBM - What the hell was Child Services doing sitting on the records while this boy was tortured for 4 years? Unbelievable. Another catastrophic failure by those who are supposed to be ensuring that children are safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Belinda View Post
    BBM - What the hell was Child Services doing sitting on the records while this boy was tortured for 4 years? Unbelievable. Another catastrophic failure by those who are supposed to be ensuring that children are safe.
    Do you think they mean that since the initial arrests (it's been a loooonnng time), the boy may have disclosed more abuses to CPS/his foster family and that's why the additional charges now? I could be wrong (I hope not or I'm going to get angry all over again!)

I was wondering what prompted the little boy to speak up (because it seemed unusual to me), and found this blog post. From one of the comments below it, apparently a teacher (a paraprofessional) noticed that the boy always seemed starving at breakfast time, so she told the counselor who then questioned the boys. That's when the 6 year old told everything.

http://www.dreamindemon.com/2008/12/...il-as-parents/

Good job, little brother! And good work to the teacher, counselor, and law enforcement who actually acted on this. It's a great example of why we need to keep training school workers and anyone who deals with children to notice the signs and be proactive...too often, children just don't tell. He was even covering the wounds up with long, loose clothing so it could have otherwise gone unnoticed.

In the original article, those drawings just made me want to cry and light on fire at the same time. Horrific and so sad. Hope they're safe and happy now.

reen - You are probably right and I took it the wrong way. I sure hope so.