Boy, 4, breaks into Texas store to play with toys

MrsG728

Reaction score
I didn't know if I should put this in bizarre and off-beat, but I put it here because the parents are facing charges of neglect.

Boy, 4, breaks into Texas store, plays with toys

Child got out of his home, then crossed a multilane street to reach store

APTRANS.gif
updated 4:35 p.m. ET, Mon., Dec. 15, 2008

BEAUMONT, Texas - Police called to a variety store by a burglar alarm overnight found a toddler inside, playing with the toys. Police said store surveillance video showed the unidentified boy trying to open one of the front doors to a Family Dollar store about 3 a.m. Monday, only to find it locked. But the second door was unlocked and the child went inside.
That triggered the silent alarm.

more at link: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28241264/?gt1=43001

MG

Yikes!! Poor little guy,he wanted to play. So glad he wasn't injured though!

The article I read said this happened at 3am, and a family member was canvassing the neighborhood looking for the boy. If he unlocked the door of his home and got out, I wonder if there was really neglect or just what was going on with the parent. It's good he's getting to stay with other family members that he hopefully knows while it's being investigated.

The article I read said this happened at 3am, and a family member was canvassing the neighborhood looking for the boy. If he unlocked the door of his home and got out, I wonder if there was really neglect or just what was going on with the parent. It's good he's getting to stay with other family members that he hopefully knows while it's being investigated.

I agree with you. I'm impressed that the family was already looking for him. What if they had been asleep? Is that negligence to be asleep at 3am?

It says he unlocked a door. What parent, especially a first time parent, would ever assume that their child can/would do this? I only made my locks higher after I caught my son unlocking a door, and he still learned how to push a chair over to it. I eventually had to resort to a dead bolt and hiding the key, which terrified me for the fire hazard, but he kept doing it. What if this was the first time this boy had done this?

I don't understand how this gets to the point of removing him from the home, but kids who are obviously being abused (repeated ER visits for broken bones, calls from teachers) are "followed up" and closed with every effort made to keep the family together.

I eventually had to resort to a dead bolt and hiding the key, which terrified me for the fire hazard, but he kept doing it.
snipped
I had to do the same thing. He also locked me out of the house twice when I had gone out to get the mail. I had to break the front window pane to get back in (both times!) because he was crying and couldn't unlock that door! He's almost six now and I was able to put a turn lock deadbolt back on the backdoor. Thank goodness he never wandered off before I discovered he could unlock the doors and installed new locks!

my brother used to actually sleepwalk! He was a little boy and had conversations and everything. I bet he too, could have wandered outside. Thank goodness mom was a light sleeper...:rolleyes:

I think it's absolutely ridiculous this child wasn't returned to his parents!

My little darling at 4 years old....got up in the middle of the night, right around this time of year, put on his rain boots and coat over his PJ's, unlocked the door, took the dog and hopped into my car. He was unable to figure out what key to use so he just put the car in reverse. My driveway is on an incline...so the car rolled backwards until it hit the telephone pole across the..... THANK GOD ........dead end street.

He was going to walmart to get me a surprise.

The police were amused.

I don't agree that he should've been taken away from his parents. There is no sign of abuse and no prior history of anything like this happening. Obviously the parents get up to check on him in the middle of the night and were already searching for him which shows they were worried. My son would lock and unlock doors all the time. I put the stoppers on the top of my doors like the ones hotels have.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cbisme
Back