More Forum Slowness Questions

nancy botwin

Verified Expert
Reaction score
I'm just going to post this question here and send a Mod Alert--
Some of us were wondering if there are specific things we can do to decrease the strain placed on the server. Does it help if we disable email alerting or clear out our PM boxes? I was wondering if any Admin or Mod could let us know anything we can do to increase the speed and accessibility of the site ??

I didn't know where to put this-- but I thought this could be okay since it relates to the in's and out's of being on websleuths ;-)

I'm just going to post this question here and send a Mod Alert--
Some of us were wondering if there are specific things we can do to decrease the strain placed on the server. Does it help if we disable email alerting or clear out our PM boxes? I was wondering if any Admin or Mod could let us know anything we can do to increase the speed and accessibility of the site ??

I didn't know where to put this-- but I thought this could be okay since it relates to the in's and out's of being on websleuths ;-)
can tell you. But there are just a lot of folks on here :)

can tell you. But there are just a lot of folks on here :)

Thank you! Some posters just started wondering about it in one of the threads-- if there's anything we can do to mitigate the inevitable clogging, I'm sure we'd all love to help! We'll await the 's reply :)

Thank you! Some posters just started wondering about it in one of the threads-- if there's anything we can do to mitigate the inevitable clogging, I'm sure we'd all love to help! We'll await the 's reply :)
I don;t think the fixes from the July forum slowness thread still apply. The forum has been upgraded and things have been changed since then.

I hope steps in here to swat me if I am wrong, but sometimes you have a single server that handles web traffic and mail both, and sometimes you split them up on separate servers - one for web and one for mail (and other techie schmoo you need not think about.)

I suspect that the WS server does both, only because I am a night-owl and noticed that the server often lags nightly around 1:00 a.m. EST.

Coincidentally, around 1:00 a.m. EST is when I receive WS 'subscription thread' digest email updates. I also receive ongoing, "You have an WS PM message," through-out the day.

I really don't need to receive them and I don't want the server to have a hissy-fit, so I went to:

* My User CP,
* then to Private Messages,
* then on the left-hand menu I chose 'Options'.
* In Options I turned off settings to subscribe to threads, to receive updates and to receive email updates about WS PM's.

Not sure if that is useful, and I hope will advise, but I figure I use enough bandwidth around here that I will do what I can to make the server 'greener' and conserve.

:blowkiss:

JB - pls delete if you only want input. TY!

we had to unsubscribe to threads for awhile earlier this year. but I thought a lot of that was changed. we used to get those updates in our mailboxes more often IIRC, but now they only come in batches.

I'm sometimes on this site at 2AM CT and the site crawls - ABSOLUTELY :wink: crawls. It can take forever just to go to the next page in a thread or to post a message. What's up with that? It's horrible and keeps me up much longer than I should be. :crazy:

How can we fix that problem?

I also don't need to get notices up thread updates, PMs, and other such stuff, so I'm going to turn it all off. In fact, I had no idea I was getting them until I opened the e-mailbox I registered with and found about 10 pages worth of them in there!!!

Thanks for you help.

Alexa

we had to unsubscribe to threads for awhile earlier this year. but I thought a lot of that was changed. we used to get those updates in our mailboxes more often IIRC, but now they only come in batches.

FWIW, I only get them when I am actually online at the time (which is usually always,) at 1:00 EST. And, it does seem like I only get the subscription updates for the threads I'd subscribed to before the last upgrade. (Which probably means that there is still a bug in the software in that it didn't change (unsubscribe for email notifications) for previous subscriptions, only new ones. Tell Geek Boy!) :D

I think unsubscribing to threads with those email notifications will help. Certainly won't hurt.

Don't constantly refresh the page.

The forum is backed up about 2 AM ish pacific time and there will be a slow period but it should only last for a few minutes and it's not quite the same as when the server is just too busy.

The dreaded 'server too busy' <shudders>
You can always go to the chat room! That's where quite a few congregate on those busy traffic days. It's an excellent way to follow breaking news.

One thing. Sometimes, when you try to post it just keeps "loading". But you can navihgate the rest of the forum. Just posting is delayed.
WHEN THIS HAPPENS JUST WAIT BECAUSE THAT IS HOW WE KEEP GETTING TRIPLE POSTS.
We all keep trying to repost. The posts are kind of in a queue and they will post in a few. The way i tell if this is happening is by scanning the index and looking when the latest posts were. If they were more than 2 minutes, I know we are in a bit of a delay, because 2 minutes never goes by without a new post posting.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biff
Back