How to Navigate Forum/Tips/Avatars/Pics

Lavanda Dolce

Former Member
Reaction score
To post in the threads: BY QUOTING

Go to a topic that you like (this is called a thread) click and read the posts.

If you want to respond to something you read, at the post you are reading, you can click on the QUOTE button.

( This will recarry that persons message so that you can comment on it specifically.)

Scroll down and re-read the posters message. You will see the words quote in brackets at the beginning of their message and at the end of their message
Go to the end of their message and start typing your comments AFTER the final time you see the word
after their message.

Then you should click PREVIEW, when first learning to post, to see what it will look like…or you can just click SUBMIT.

To post in the threads: without quoting

Go to a topic that you like (this is called a thread) click and read the posts.
Scroll down to the very bottom of the page and click on either of the buttons to the far left:

POST REPLY (this lets you pick smileys and change colors/fonts)
QUICK REPLY (this lets you just post by typing. No smileys. No change in colors, etc.)

Then you should click PREVIEW, when first learning to post, to see what it will look like…or you can just click SUBMIT.

To Post Graphics/Pics

The first step is you need to go to www.photobucket.com
Set up an account. USE A YAHOO email address so that your pics will not be identified by your name or regular email.
Once you set up an account, if you click on MY ALBUM, a box with Browse buttons are to the right. It’s real easy. Just click on Browse and find the pic that you want to upload. Then click Upload. Now your pic appears in an album. Under the pic will be codes that you will copy and paste into area’s. I’ll explain that below 

To ATTACH an AVATAR:

The little pic associated in the box next to your screen name. Mine is my new puppy, Molly!

Go to toolbar in the forum and click on: USER CP
Scroll to Left and look in the box for Edit Avatar
You can upload a small pic from your computer, or...
Go to your Photobucket album and find the pic you uploaded that you want associated with the forum avatar.
Paste the url from the bottom of your Photobucket pic that you like. The url code is the one that is labeled: DIRECT LINK and starts off with http://
Then click to save it.

To ATTACH a SIGNATURE THAT ALWAYS IS PLACED IN YOUR POSTS:

Go to toolbar and click on: USER CP

Scroll in the box to the left and see the box that says EDIT SIGNATURE. Click on it. Type what you want in there and it will always show up.

To ATTACH PICS IN POSTS:

Go to the box that you create your post. After you're done typing your message, paste a Photobucket code and that picture will appear. The code to use in the posts are the ones under your pic in photobucket titled: IMG code. Copy and paste it.
Please try to be sure the pics are not too large else it will jam the server if too many and then our site will be very slow. Try to use medium sized, or smaller graphics

Hope this helps anyone with the computer questions :) Feel free to ask if you have any other questions. Take care and have fun!

Hope this helps anyone with the computer questions :) Feel free to ask if you have any other questions. Take care and have fun!

Hi LD,

This thread is so helpfu! Just wanted to thank you!

I am really having problems navigating & I keep getting lost!

Also, How do I know if/when someone answers one of my ? in a thread?

Or, quotes any of my posts?

I would hate to seem rude, but I can rarely find my way back to some threads and by the time I do--there's 10 pages or more and I'm just lost!

What is a PM & how is it used?

HELP!

PS

I see you are also from the Granite State!

Very good questions!
I hope this helps:

If you want a notification that a post that you've made has been responded to, you will need to make changes to your original settings. It's quite easy. Here are the steps:

Getting notification that a post you made has comments following it:

1. Go to very top toolbar to USERCP and click on it.

2. Look to the left and scroll down to SETTINGS AND OPTIONS click on it

3. scroll down the center of page and look for DEFAULT THREAD SUBSCRIPTION MODE. There is a drop down chart. If you choose Instant email notification, you will be notified the moment someone responds to your post via your email. Or you can ask to be notified once a day. Choose which you prefer.

4. Be sure after you choose your notification that you scroll all the way down to the very bottom of the page and click on SAVE CHANGES The email you receive will have a click link which will take you to the last post you made and you can begin reading following that post :)

What is a PM?

A PM is a private message. Also in your settings you can determine if you want others to contact you. At the very top of any page look to the far right. It says private messages and if there is a number there, that means someone from the forum sent you a PM. It could be a response to one of your posts that someone wants to discuss privately and not in the public forum. For example, some folks may read something you post about depression and they may not want others to read their question to you so they PM (private message) you. :) I hope this helps. Take care.

The only way, that I am aware, to find out if someone quoted you and responding to your posts is to go to your last post and then read forward to see if anyone has quoted you. I don't know if there is a way to know otherwise. I will research to let you know:)

Also, you can add the last page you've read to your FAVORITE places on your computer which makes it easy to come back to the thread where you left off. Just be sure after your done reading the next set of posts that you add that to Favorites and delete the original one so that you are always going to get to the last place you read :)

To get to favorites, just look at the very top of your toolbar. (Not the website toolbar, YOUR computer toolbar) See FAVORITES? Anytime you are at a webpage that you want to bookmark , just click on FAVORITES and scroll down to ADD. Now it's there:) To get to it, click on favorites and scroll down to all that you added. You can even change the names of the pages to make it easier for you too. You'll see that when you click to add it.:)

I can't get the double quote option to work. When I click on the double quote icon, nothing happens. What am I doing wrong?

TIA

I can't get the double quote option to work. When I click on the double quote icon, nothing happens. What am I doing wrong?

TIA
You should just click on the the little icon with the quotation marks in the bottom right of your post. It should turn RED. Every quote that you click that icon it should turn RED. Then when you got to post reply (not quick reply) every post with the icon clicked should be quoted in your post. Feel free to try it here.

Hi LD,

This thread is so helpfu! Just wanted to thank you!

I am really having problems navigating & I keep getting lost!

Also, How do I know if/when someone answers one of my ? in a thread?

Or, quotes any of my posts?

I would hate to seem rude, but I can rarely find my way back to some threads and by the time I do--there's 10 pages or more and I'm just lost!

What is a PM & how is it used?

HELP!

PS

I see you are also from the Granite State!
I do not believe you can tell if someone actually responded to your post, but you can subscribe to the thread and LD has written out instructions. However, I think we have changed the email notifications and it is once a day. Not sure we were making those changes and I am not sure if they are still in effect.

Hi, I could use some help. When I try to view photo attachments I get this message:
Luminous, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

What am I missing?

Thank you in advance for any feedback/help.

Hi, I could use some help. When I try to view photo attachments I get this message:
Luminous, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

What am I missing?

Thank you in advance for any feedback/help.

I am getting the same message, except mine says Anna Mouse not Luminous;) when I try to view pictures posted in the threads. An
example of this is the pictures listed in the first post in this thread: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77874. When I click on the pictures, I get a permission denied.

AnnaMouse, that is what is happening to me, too. I can post fine, but when I tried to viewed attachments it soudns like my account's been disabled, even though I'm signed in.

You need at least 50 posts under your name to have the additional features on WS. Until you do, you won't be able to view attachments, PM, etc.

You need at least 50 posts under your name to have the additional features on WS. Until you do, you won't be able to view attachments, PM, etc.

Thanks, Magic Rose. I don't post much but read here religiously.

I can understand how sending PMs might be restricted so that new members can't spam, but viewing attachments shouldn't be restricted, IMO. Posting attachments or links should be restricted to prevent spambots but I don't understand why simply viewing an attachment should be restricted.

I certainly don't want to begin posting when I have nothing to add to a thread just to pad my post count. Many threads have pictures that I kind of needed to see so I could comment. One was of what someone thought might be the water meter for the Anthony's house. Since, I live in Orlando and have Orange County Utilities as my water provider, I would certainly be able to let them know if it was indeed the Anthony's water meter. But since I couldn't see the picture I was not able to help.

OMG!!! I could have come here instead of PMing you!
I am about to give up on ever learning how to function here but MAYBE this great thread will help me!
My apologies to you,JBEAN and Adenoid and Tom's Girl! You must all think I am nuts!
but thanks for this thread.
will study here ......thanks to all!

Thanks, Magic Rose. I don't post much but read here religiously.

I can understand how sending PMs might be restricted so that new members can't spam, but viewing attachments shouldn't be restricted, IMO. Posting attachments or links should be restricted to prevent spambots but I don't understand why simply viewing an attachment should be restricted.

I certainly don't want to begin posting when I have nothing to add to a thread just to pad my post count. Many threads have pictures that I kind of needed to see so I could comment. One was of what someone thought might be the water meter for the Anthony's house. Since, I live in Orlando and have Orange County Utilities as my water provider, I would certainly be able to let them know if it was indeed the Anthony's water meter. But since I couldn't see the picture I was not able to help.

Attachments is a feature for those with over 50 posts. Most people use HTML coding to display pics, graphics, etc. You probably should see those...

To check, you can go to your UserCP to see if these option(s) are available:
In the UserCP under "Setting and Options" (left side of screen) choose "Edit Options". Around the middle of the page that comes up are "Thread Display Options" make sure that the "Show Signatures", "Show Avatars" and "Show Images" are checked.

Very good questions!
I hope this helps:

If you want a notification that a post that you've made has been responded to, you will need to make changes to your original settings. It's quite easy. Here are the steps:

Getting notification that a post you made has comments following it:

1. Go to very top toolbar to USERCP and click on it.

2. Look to the left and scroll down to SETTINGS AND OPTIONS click on it

3. scroll down the center of page and look for DEFAULT THREAD SUBSCRIPTION MODE. There is a drop down chart. If you choose Instant email notification, you will be notified the moment someone responds to your post via your email. Or you can ask to be notified once a day. Choose which you prefer.

4. Be sure after you choose your notification that you scroll all the way down to the very bottom of the page and click on SAVE CHANGES The email you receive will have a click link which will take you to the last post you made and you can begin reading following that post :)

THANKS!!!

I had know idea how to set up the UserCp!

The only way, that I am aware, to find out if someone quoted you and responding to your posts is to go to your last post and then read forward to see if anyone has quoted you. I don't know if there is a way to know otherwise. I will research to let you know:)

Also, you can add the last page you've read to your FAVORITE places on your computer which makes it easy to come back to the thread where you left off. Just be sure after your done reading the next set of posts that you add that to Favorites and delete the original one so that you are always going to get to the last place you read :)

To get to favorites, just look at the very top of your toolbar. (Not the website toolbar, YOUR computer toolbar) See FAVORITES? Anytime you are at a webpage that you want to bookmark , just click on FAVORITES and scroll down to ADD. Now it's there:) To get to it, click on favorites and scroll down to all that you added. You can even change the names of the pages to make it easier for you too. You'll see that when you click to add it.:)

Thank You again!

This thread is so helpful!

PS
Will check out the Jett travolta site. Watched his dad on LKL this past week and his Bio is on the Biography station today--at 3pm!

Attachments is a feature for those with over 50 posts. Most people use HTML coding to display pics, graphics, etc. You probably should see those...
Yes, I see those pictures but I'm seeing a lot of people posting pictures as attachments. I can't see those and when I click on them I get a forbidden message. Here is an example (in the first post) of pictures which I can't see:
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77874

It is certainly reasonable to put a restriction on newbies posting attachments but why is there a restriction for newbies to simply view an attachment?

To check, you can go to your UserCP to see if these option(s) are available:
In the UserCP under "Setting and Options" (left side of screen) choose "Edit Options". Around the middle of the page that comes up are "Thread Display Options" make sure that the "Show Signatures", "Show Avatars" and "Show Images" are checked.
Thank you, that is helpful to know. I hadn't thought of the transfer a site this size must go through; weeding out the people who aren't sticking around probably saves a fair bit over time.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasCuriousMynd
Back