The Children of Zimbabwe

Thank you for the link to that story. It is heartbreaking to read. I know that we in the US think we have it tough but heavens- we have no idea compared to what they are going through. I wish I knew the answers.

I think that a loaf of bread there costs what would be comparable to thousands in our dollars. No one can even afford a loaf of bread. I wrote the amount down last week, but can't find it now.

It's a crime against humanity, IMO; Mugabe needs to be taken out and the government replaced by something that will allow help for its own people. I can't believe African countries never seem to be willing or able to help each other; same with Middle Eastern Countries.

One will be filthy rich while their neighbor suffers in poverty.

It's a crime against humanity, IMO; Mugabe needs to be taken out and the government replaced by something that will allow help for its own people. I can't believe African countries never seem to be willing or able to help each other; same with Middle Eastern Countries.

One will be filthy rich while their neighbor suffers in poverty.

I'll never understand it either...it's incredibly sad.

BTW Your dog is ADORABLE!

Sorry to say but Mugabe needs to be assasinated. He is worthless and has done nothing for the country. All he does is blame the US and the WEST and in his latest rant he called the US and West "stupid". He was technically defeated in the latest election and refuses to step down.

The country should be declared a state of emergency. Millions will starve. It is the only country on earth where millionaires go to bed hungry. The Zimbabwean dollar is basically worthless and they are making up notes of outrageous amounts, like $5 billion just to keep up with the inflation. 5billion dollars buys a few loaves of bread.

I have to wonder why Olympian Kirsty Coventry swam for Zimbabwe and not the US. especially given how whites are treated in Zimbabwe. Mugabe is a racist pig. The president of her country is a disgrace and he was actually banned from attending the Olympics. Apparantly he was stopped from continuing on with his trip during a stop over in another country.

He has had his honorary degrees revoked from several countries.

I'll never understand it either...it's incredibly sad.

BTW Your dog is ADORABLE!

Is that poor puppy in your avatar sporting porcupine quills??? Please tell me he's ok!

Sorry to say but Mugabe needs to be assasinated. He is worthless and has done nothing for the country. All he does is blame the US and the WEST and in his latest rant he called the US and West "stupid". He was technically defeated in the latest election and refuses to step down.

The country should be declared a state of emergency. Millions will starve. It is the only country on earth where millionaires go to bed hungry. The Zimbabwean dollar is basically worthless and they are making up notes of outrageous amounts, like $5 billion just to keep up with the inflation. 5billion dollars buys a few loaves of bread.

I have to wonder why Olympian Kirsty Coventry swam for Zimbabwe and not the US. especially given how whites are treated in Zimbabwe. Mugabe is a racist pig. The president of her country is a disgrace and he was actually banned from attending the Olympics. Apparantly he was stopped from continuing on with his trip during a stop over in another country.

Mugabe should be ashamed of himself... what he has done to that country is horrible... and the first and worst to suffer are the children.

I have a hard time understanding why countries in the West who oppose Mugabe (as they should) because of his crimes against humanity and to express that place massive embargos blocking food and aid which is having a direct and prolific impact on the civilians causing even more suffering. It seems a bit ironic.

He is the one being opposed but he and his cronies are the only ones who are sitting pretty. He travels in his private jet, has beautiful homes, his wife will only wear Ferragamo shoes, etc ,etc. Sanctions like this do not affect the people in power. It is always the civilians who pay dearly and people like Mugabe don't care if his people are starving to death.

The west should be pouring food, aid, medicine to help fight the cholera outbreak, clothes, etc instead of blocking those goods in retaliation of their leader.

I am not defending Mugabe in the least - I hate this man for what he has done and supported. He has terrorized his own citizens causing widespread death and despair and he needs to be taken out of power but I just don't see the sanctions against the country to be an answer to the problem. It is not helping the citizens of Zimbabwe.

I have a good friend who is from Zim and her whole family still lives there and they are desperate and they want these sanctions to be lifted because THEY are the ones who are being punished and who are suffering. Mugabe has been in power a long time and the issues of starvation and disease only started reaching this crisis point after these "smart" sanctions were placed. She says her family was okay financially and never had shortages of food or medicine before the sanctions were put into place and now they are struggling every day. Her father was employed by a british company but since the west has been encouraging western countries to close down their companies, factories in Zim many of these job sources have closed leaving people who were once employed and comfortable with no job and no hopes of getting one because companies are pulling out in protest or simply because they are being pressured to do it and they don't want to look bad. This has affected the economy immensly and has caused a massive decline. Exports have dwindled to nil, men and women who had been employed for decades are now digging through the trash looking for food.

Perhaps she wanted to represent the citizens of Zimbabwe. Remember that the citizens actually tried to elect a new president and Mugabe forcebly took the power back. Just because the president of a country is racist does not for a second mean that the citizens of his country are. Kirsty was born in Zimbabwe and considering the situation I think it makes a lot of sense that she would want to support her home country and the people who live there and serve as an inspiration and source of pride for them. What is so wrong with that? America has dozens of top atheletes and gold medalist - losing one medal isn't going to make a lot of difference.

gaia227, Thank you for explaining all this. I wish a solution was quick at hand, no one should have to suffer under such "leadership".:furious:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahlm8627
Back