819 users online (92 members and 727 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

CA - Child maid trafficking

Oh, this is so awful

Child maid trafficking spreads from Africa to US
    Associated Press
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081228/...lave_next_door
    IRVINE, Calif. Late at night, the neighbors saw a little girl at the kitchen sink of the house next door.
    They watched through their window as the child rinsed plates under the open faucet. She wasn't much taller than the counter and the soapy water swallowed her slender arms. To put the dishes away, she climbed on a chair. But she was not the daughter of the couple next door doing chores. She was their maid.

Shyima was 10 when a wealthy Egyptian couple brought her from a poor village in northern Egypt to work in their California home. She awoke before dawn and often worked past midnight to iron their clothes, mop the marble floors and dust the family's crystal. She earned $45 a month working up to 20 hours a day. She had no breaks during the day and no days off.
    More...

Ima

That story is heartbreaking, especially the end. Slavery is reprehensible. Slavery of a child, denying the child a loving home and an education? That's totally unforgivable.

Quote Originally Posted by imamaze View Post
    Oh, this is so awful

Child maid trafficking spreads from Africa to US
    Associated Press
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081228/...lave_next_door
    IRVINE, Calif. Late at night, the neighbors saw a little girl at the kitchen sink of the house next door.
    They watched through their window as the child rinsed plates under the open faucet. She wasn't much taller than the counter and the soapy water swallowed her slender arms. To put the dishes away, she climbed on a chair. But she was not the daughter of the couple next door doing chores. She was their maid.

Shyima was 10 when a wealthy Egyptian couple brought her from a poor village in northern Egypt to work in their California home. She awoke before dawn and often worked past midnight to iron their clothes, mop the marble floors and dust the family's crystal. She earned $45 a month working up to 20 hours a day. She had no breaks during the day and no days off.
    More...

Ima

Thats sickening and to think that now after being in Jail the WOMAN has ANOTHER Slave according to that article

Slavery is illegal - how are they getting away with it for so long

Child Labour is illegal

What makes these people think they can come to our country and get away with these things. Maybe it's because they can for a long time if not indefinitely.

I read this article on HuffPo, it's so very sad. I agree with you all, the ending is the worst. I could have sworn at the middle of the article it said that they would be deported? Or was that the girl's parents that were deported?

I thought after reading the article that they were back in their home country. I guess it's legal there.

I wonder what the going rate for a child slave is? I wonder if it's much less than adoption? Maybe people looking to adopt should look into this and save some of these children.

Quote Originally Posted by txsvicki View Post
    What makes these people think they can come to our country and get away with these things. Maybe it's because they can for a long time if not indefinitely.
    Good question!
    My sister worked for an all cat hosptial and the vet was such a mean, hateful person. Her husband was a retired cop who works for the Saudi "royals" when they come to stay in the LA area. His job is to take the "help's" passports when they arrive and guard them so they don't try to make a break for it in the US. He can take them to Disneyland for one day but he has to watch them all the time.

I don't know if any of them are under age 16 but they sure don't have more than one day of freedom and most are young. They are expected to be working the whole time they are here and all of them are from much poorer countries. The vet thinks it is funny as hell.

What a horrible story, those poor girls. However I do not think child slave trades/trafficking will go away anytime soon, it is to profitable and there will always be parents out there that will sell there children, especially in poorer countries.

Quote Originally Posted by CASuzk View Post
    Good question!
    My sister worked for an all cat hosptial and the vet was such a mean, hateful person. Her husband was a retired cop who works for the Saudi "royals" when they come to stay in the LA area. His job is to take the "help's" passports when they arrive and guard them so they don't try to make a break for it in the US. He can take them to Disneyland for one day but he has to watch them all the time.

I don't know if any of them are under age 16 but they sure don't have more than one day of freedom and most are young. They are expected to be working the whole time they are here and all of them are from much poorer countries. The vet thinks it is funny as hell.
    Hmm I wonder if she would be laughing when the labor board comes calling, when someone turns her in for violating child labor laws.

E*E