Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tickets to Grateful Dead concert found on Jason

I have always wondered if Jason was almost home. If I were drving from DC to Inman SC I would have taken the I-85 Exit near Petersburg, I would not have come down to Emporia and taken 58 over to I-85, which it appears he was doing. Did the driver take a small detour to take Jason home? Did he miss the I-85 exit near Petersburg (very easy to do), or did the fathers house take them on this route. We know the driver visited his fathers house, but I have never heard where the house is located. I know Glouchester County, but not sure of the address. So many questions!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to NCSleuth For This Useful Post:

I found a Dr. H G H who lives on Queens Drive in Williamsburg, VA. It looks like because of the stop at his father's place he took I-95 instead? IMO, I think once he reached Emporia, VA, it seems to me he was going to take US 58 across to I-85 and head down into NC and down to home (Inman, SC). Was it his intent to take Jason home with him?? I dunno??

ETA: REMOVED link to map...going to edit map to make some corrections

Quote Originally Posted by NCSleuth View Post
    I have always wondered if Jason was almost home. If I were drving from DC to Inman SC I would have taken the I-85 Exit near Petersburg, I would not have come down to Emporia and taken 58 over to I-85, which it appears he was doing. Did the driver take a small detour to take Jason home? Did he miss the I-85 exit near Petersburg (very easy to do), or did the fathers house take them on this route. We know the driver visited his fathers house, but I have never heard where the house is located. I know Glouchester County, but not sure of the address. So many questions!
    Last edited by Earthbound Misfit I; 06-15-2010 at 05:30 PM. Reason: going to edit map
    Princess Blue
    Located September 10, 1990 in Manvel, Texas

Could Princess Blue be identified soon Princess Blue? Follow us at the link below
    Princess Blue Forum to find out.

Kimberly Shawn Cheatham
    Missing from Dallas, Texas since April 8, 1989

Where is Kimberly Shawn Cheatham?

I agree, it looks like he was taking 58 from I95 over to I85, but that is not the shortest route. It adds about 25 miles to his trip. That is not much, but it still not the preferred route from Williamsburg, VA to Inman, SC. Question is did he do that on purpose? Taking Jason home along the route? (somewhere between Emporia and South Hill, VA) Just knew that route better? Missed an exit?

You know, I always assumed he came down to Emporia and took 58W to I85, do we know that for sure? did he take I85 down to South Hill and 58E toward Emporia. Was he heading west when the accident occurred?

Hmmm...I guess in reality we don't really know what route he took? We only know that he ended up having the car accident just west of Emporia, VA on US 58. He could have actually taken another route to wind up there. I need to go back and read through things better. Do you know what time he left his father's home? If we knew an approximate time and barring he didn't make any stops,if we knew what time the accident happened, we might be able to figure out the route he took? It's difficult to say. So much for the map, lol! It's not going to help us much now!

I agree, it looks like he was taking 58 from I95 over to I85, but that is not the shortest route. It adds about 25 miles to his trip. That is not much, but it still not the preferred route from Williamsburg, VA to Inman, SC. Question is did he do that on purpose? Taking Jason home along the route? (somewhere between Emporia and South Hill, VA) Just knew that route better? Missed an exit?

You know, I always assumed he came down to Emporia and took 58W to I85, do we know that for sure? did he take I85 down to South Hill and 58E toward Emporia. Was he heading west when the accident occurred?
    Princess Blue

Could Princess Blue be identified soon Princess Blue? Follow us at the link below

Kimberly Shawn Cheatham

If you don't mind I want to "take our conversation over to the thread about the driver of the van so it will make it easier to find later. Here is a link to that thread [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104439"]The Driver - Michael Eric Hager - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame].

If a mod wants to move the part of the thread here that talks about the driver and his route he may have taken the day of the accident that would be fantastic, if not, I can just cross-link them.

Princess Blue

Kimberly Shawn Cheatham

I want to correct myself here. I do not believe that Dr. H G H is Michael Eric Hager's (Driver of van) father. I believe he is Michael's grandfather or uncle. This may through another loop in the whole map problem even further, if that's possible! Back to the drawing board.

Quote Originally Posted by RKnowley View Post
    I found a Dr. H G H who lives on Queens Drive in Williamsburg, VA. It looks like because of the stop at his father's place he took I-95 instead? IMO, I think once he reached Emporia, VA, it seems to me he was going to take US 58 across to I-85 and head down into NC and down to home (Inman, SC). Was it his intent to take Jason home with him?? I dunno??
    Princess Blue

Kimberly Shawn Cheatham

The ticket stubs would have helped identify Jason had he either bought the tickets from Ticketmaster using a credit card or if he had mail-ordered tickets from Grateful Dead Ticket Service in San Rafael. Obviously, he did neither. I don't think it matters whether he got the ticket for free, paid full price or paid above face value to a scalper. For that matter, I don't think it matters if he actually went into the show. I think all evidence points to him obtaining the tickets at RFK and going to the show.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Helper For This Useful Post:

It may have helped to determine if he had a job or even a family, if he purchased the tickets himself. If he received the tickets for free (also known as "miracle ticket") he would most likely be pleading poverty which would mean he most likely didn't have a job, etc..

Quote Originally Posted by Helper View Post
    The ticket stubs would have helped identify Jason had he either bought the tickets from Ticketmaster using a credit card or if he had mail-ordered tickets from Grateful Dead Ticket Service in San Rafael. Obviously, he did neither. I don't think it matters whether he got the ticket for free, paid full price or paid above face value to a scalper. For that matter, I don't think it matters if he actually went into the show. I think all evidence points to him obtaining the tickets at RFK and going to the show.
    Princess Blue

Kimberly Shawn Cheatham

do we know where jason's seats were located?

i wonder if investigators tracked down the folks who sat in the seats around him?

Photos of the tickets are posted online. I think it would be almost impossible to track down who had purchased the adjoining seats. Chances are they were sold by the same scalper. In any event, even if you could identify his "neighbors" at the concert, there is a good chance he didn't even spend much time, if any, in his assigned seat. Even if he did, I doubt that he anyone would remember a whole lot about any identifying information 15 years later.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Helper For This Useful Post:

helper, i know it's probably not much use now, but i was more wondering if the people sitting around him had been tracked down 15 years ago.

i am a huge fan of a band that has a fanbase kinda like the grateful dead (traveling to multiple shows, etc) and i *always* end up talking to the folks sitting around me before the show, even if i didn't know them before. just things like where are you from, how many shows are you seeing this tour, etc.

if jason's seat locations were made known in the media immediately after it happened, perhaps someone would have remembered talking to him. of course, as you said, he may or may not actually spent a significant amount of time in that seat. just thinking out loud ..

15. The Following User Says Thank You to blue_the_puppy For This Useful Post:

The driver was rolling in a VW Vanagon, they are quicker than the old vans but not always great at freeway speeds. Depending on the year and condition he may have stayed off interstates in favor of slower highways. Also as a VW van guy myself I'd probably hang a U-turn to pickup a hitchhiker in a dead shirt.....

17. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Spacemonkey1975 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Spacemonkey1975 View Post
    The driver was rolling in a VW Vanagon, they are quicker than the old vans but not always great at freeway speeds. Depending on the year and condition he may have stayed off interstates in favor of slower highways. Also as a VW van guy myself I'd probably hang a U-turn to pickup a hitchhiker in a dead shirt.....
    Your quote actually made me smile, which is a stark contrast from my usual reaction to this thread. It is so disturbing to think that the driver was absolutley doing JD a favor by picking him up that evening. However, the end result was something neither of them could have predicted. So sad.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to scaredtopost For This Useful Post:

Is anyone able to read the ticket stubs clearly enough to read what the row #, section #, seat # are?
    Princess Blue

Kimberly Shawn Cheatham

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Earthbound Misfit I For This Useful Post:

In terms of GD Doe being "almost home" there was a show on March 22 1995 in Charlotte, NC. While the location of the accident is closer to DC than to Charlotte, had the Doe lived much further along the route being taken by the driver, it would have been more natural for him to attend that show, presuming of course that he could make it or that he didn't go to both shows.

Also, being on VA-58 only makes sense if the driver took I95 first. Heading for SC, I'd have taken I85 instead. Possibly they took a wrong turning out of Richmond, or perhaps that is where the Doe was picked up.

Alternatively, the I95-I495 interchange would be a logical place for the paths of someone coming from Fairfax and someone coming from the RFK Stadium to cross; finally, Doe could have ridden the Orange Line as far west as he could and then hoped to meet someone heading for I66/I81 but have taken another ride.

As far as being more natural for him to have gone to the Charlotte show, it is not unusual for a Dead Head to go to a number of shows even on the same tour. The Grateful Dead did not play the same set every night (never actually repeated the exact same set) so fans would not think twice about seeing the group play again in another town even if they had recently seen them.

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Helper For This Useful Post:

I grew up with the driver, Eric Hager, and was still good friends with him when he died. From what I remember of the time, he had seen the dead in DC and was heading back to Columbia, SC where we went to Univ. of South Carolina (so I-95 would have been more likely than I-85). I don't know if he visited his father but I *think* his dad lived in the Norfolk/Virginia Beach area.

His mother and step-father lived in Inman, SC (technically but actually Boiling Springs/Spartanburg, SC) but he was living in Columbia.

Nobody in our group of friends knew at all the rider who was with Eric. If I were to guess I would say it was a hitch-hiking deadhead going to the next show.

If there is any other info I might be able to offer, feel free to ask. It's been such a long time I'm not sure how much I can remember.

26. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to brianpoteat For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by brianpoteat View Post
    I grew up with the driver, Eric Hager, and was still good friends with him when he died. From what I remember of the time, he had seen the dead in DC and was heading back to Columbia, SC where we went to Univ. of South Carolina (so I-95 would have been more likely than I-85). I don't know if he visited his father but I *think* his dad lived in the Norfolk/Virginia Beach area.

His mother and step-father lived in Inman, SC (technically but actually Boiling Springs/Spartanburg, SC) but he was living in Columbia.

Nobody in our group of friends knew at all the rider who was with Eric. If I were to guess I would say it was a hitch-hiking deadhead going to the next show.

If there is any other info I might be able to offer, feel free to ask. It's been such a long time I'm not sure how much I can remember.
    Welcome to Websleuths!
    Condolences on the loss of your friend.
    Are you saying that Eric had been to the DC concert?

28. The Following User Says Thank You to noZme For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by noZme View Post
    Welcome to Websleuths!
    Condolences on the loss of your friend.
    Are you saying that Eric had been to the DC concert?
    I'm pretty certain of it. It was also common for many to go to Dead shows without a ticket just to try to get one and just hang out in the parking lot if not. I don't remember if he did that often but he had gotten into a group of friends that did so it would not have surprised me if he went but didn't actually get a ticker or get to see them.

30. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to brianpoteat For This Useful Post:

WOW. if Eric Hager had been to the concert, that puts an entirely different spin on things. Its always been said he was visiting his girlfriend and did not attend the concert.

Regardless, if he was headed to Columbia instead of Inman, SC, why was he on hwy 58 west of Emporia? Possibly east of Emporia if he has visited his father and was on hwy 58 going towards I-95, but why didn't he get onto I95? Did he miss the exit? Did he come down I-95 and get off at hwy58 to take Jason home? so many questions.

Brianpoteat, thanks for the info. I grew up near this area and have followed this case for a long time. thanks.

32. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NCSleuth For This Useful Post:

I-85 Goes through Spartanburg SC headed towards Atlanta. If he was heading to Inman, then Columbia, I-85 would have been the route to choose. I-95 heads down NC between Raleigh and Greenville NC, through Fayetteville, into SC near Dillon, then through Florence (where he would have to catch I20 to get to columbia) and Orangeburg (where he would have to head back up I-26 to columbia.)

I-95 would only make sense if he were heading back directly to columbia. If heading to Inman, Hwy 58 to I85 makes perfect sense.
    God Grant me the serenity to accept those things which I cannot change, the strength to change those things which I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

There comes a point in your life when you realize who matters, who never did, who won't anymore, and who always will. So don't worry about people from your past; there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eeyorelrn For This Useful Post:

I'm pretty certain of it. It was also common for many to go to Dead shows without a ticket just to try to get one and just hang out in the parking lot if not. I don't remember if he did that often but he had gotten into a group of friends that did so it would not have surprised me if he went but didn't actually get a ticker or get to see them.
    Very true! Many people who go to dead shows, especially those who follow the dead, don't have tickets or the money for them. People walk around the parking lots with signs or call out looking for a ticket. They say, "I need a miracle." I need a miracle is a reference to a song, but, it is also the language used for those seeking a free extra ticket. People get miracles all the time, especially young women.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to LucyOso For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Earthbound Misfit I View Post
    Is anyone able to read the ticket stubs clearly enough to read what the row #, section #, seat # are?
    Most dead shows are open seating. Usually, depending on the stadium, the floor is open for dancing. Very few people actually sit in assigned seats or even make it to them if they are assigned...LOL. Usually seating is only used for fire safety/capacity purposes. The problem with the seating is tickets change hands so many time prior to a show, it would be really hard to tell who had them. Even if the were purchased in bulk by one person, they usually get liquidated in the parking lot. As he didn't have ID or a credit card, I doubt he went through ticket master or will call for them. He also could have simply picked up used tickets in the parking lot. A lot of people do that, even if they do not go inside. mainly, because at most dead show venues you can hear the music outside anyway...

38. The Following User Says Thank You to LucyOso For This Useful Post:

Do you know if he has any pictures from this concert?? Could you contact his father and see? Maybe that could give some clues?

Does anyone know where the driver of the VW was heading? Was he on his way to work, was he driving further away? He was obviously heading in the same general direction as JD.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast