Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: NY - Elizabeth A Barrett, 43, New York City, 21 Aug 2007

NY - Elizabeth A Barrett, 43, New York City, 21 Aug 2007

ELIZABETH ANTOINETTE BARRETT
    Nickname: Toni
    Missing: 8/21/07’ from Port Authority NYC (assumed)
    DOB: 11/06/63
    Height: 4'11 Weight: 125
    Hair: Brown (pulled back in ponytail) Eyes: Brown
    Last known Address: 203 E. Whittington St. Greensboro, NC 27406
    Clothes: Dark denim jeans, a navy blue or black hooded sweater and white and blue Reebok sneakers. Other: Big tan purse with magazines, books and snacks in it (was with luggage). She was thought to be wearing a necklace with a cross.

Elizabeth Antoinette Barrett boarded the 4:15PM bus headed to Greensboro, NC from the Peter Pan Bus station in Springfield, MA. She arrived at the NYC Port Authority at 8:15PM. She was to have a 40-minute layover at the Port Authority in New York City and board a connecting bus headed towards Richmond, VA. There is no further information as to her whereabouts from this point on. A missing persons report was filed with the Springfield, Police Department (MA) by her family on Thursday 8/23/07. According to family, the Springfield Police have proven Barrett did arrive at the NYC Port Authority.

According to her niece *: Her aunt's luggage and purse arrived at the Greyhound Bus terminal in Greensboro, NC on Thursday 8/23/07 at 5:00PM, which was 1 day after her expected arrival time of Wed. 8/22/07 at 9:00AM. According to a Greyhound employee in Greensboro, NC her luggage was put on a bus in NYC headed towards Richmond at 8:21AM Wednesday 8/22/07 Over 12 hours after she arrived in NYC.

If you have any information you are asked to contact
    Springfield Police Department,
    Officer Robert Taylor at 413-787-6360

* http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...ndID=235331954

Last edited by capoly; 12-30-2008 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Add info

The reconstructive sketch of an UID found in Dec. 2007 bears a likeness to Ms. Barrett. Link to UID discussion below.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77137

The Springfield Police Department, Port Authority Police (NYC) and the Greensboro Police Department were all notified of Ms. Barrett's disappearance. I was unable to find information listing her as a missing person on any of their sites. There is no clear proof of which State Elizabeth was in when she went missing.

The family was told by Port Authority Police that Elizabeth's luggage and (empty)purse were found in Port Authority. Since there were destination tags on the luggage it was placed on a bus destined for Greensboro, NC. A Greyhound employee in Greensboro, NC told the family the luggage/purse were put on a bus in NYC headed towards Richmond on Wed 8/22/07 at 8:21AM and arrived in Greensboro on Thurs 8/23/07 at 5PM. Despite the finding of Elizabeth's belongings in the Port Authority building being followed 2 days later with a missing persons concern, the Port Authority police did not investigate Elizabeth's disappearance.

Springfield, MA Police did take a missing persons report from the family on Thurs. Aug.23. According to SPD, it was proven that Elizabeth arrived at Port Authority. No information was given to the family as to how this was proven.

Elizabeth was a resident of Greensboro, NC at that time. The GPD were not receptive to listing Elizabeth as missing or alerting the public.

When initially reading of Ms. Barrett being a missing person the first question that came to mind was 'What determines which LE agency handles a case like this?

Elizabeth was not a Massachusetts resident at the time she went missing. The family states she did leave MA on the bus that day at 4:15PM. There is nothing to indicate Elizabeth went missing while under MA jurisdiction.Although she was a NC resident, it was presumed she went missing outside of NC's jurisdiction.The luggage and purse being found in Port Authority would suggest she went missing from NYC.

Is anyone aware of how LE involvement is determined in a case like this? Since Interstate travel was involved might the FBI be of assistance?

believe09 is offline For nothing is secret that will not be revealed
    IIRC from the niece's myspace, the surveillance footage from the terminal was not reviewed because the Port Authority believed it was too grainy. This makes little sense to me and makes me wonder in a 40 minute layover, where most of the passengers went other than to the powder room.

So my questions would be:
    1.) Did the passengers transfer their own luggage from bus to bus or is it handled by the PA? If by the PA, where was her luggage for 12 hours?

2.) Did anyone other than the Port Authority see the footage to determine how grainy it really was?

3.) Were the other passengers questioned to see if they knew what happened to her?
    email me

Long Lost Love: The Bob Harrod Story Disappeared/ID Network
    Amazon: Purchase Long Lost Love $1.99

Bob Harrod SAR

“The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Quote Originally Posted by believe09 View Post
    IIRC from the niece's myspace, the surveillance footage from the terminal was not reviewed because the Port Authority believed it was too grainy. This makes little sense to me and makes me wonder in a 40 minute layover, where most of the passengers went other than to the powder room.

So my questions would be:
    1.) Did the passengers transfer their own luggage from bus to bus or is it handled by the PA? If by the PA, where was her luggage for 12 hours?

2.) Did anyone other than the Port Authority see the footage to determine how grainy it really was?

3.) Were the other passengers questioned to see if they knew what happened to her?

1.)According to bus policies passengers are responsible for transferring their own luggage. Will ask Cheyenne if they were told where luggage was found.

2)Will double check but believe only Port Authority viewed the video. Your question brings forth another...if the video was too grainy for viewing how did they know for certain Ms. Barrett was at Port Authority? Will ask if the proof she was there was based solely on luggage.

3)Not that family is aware of. Greyhound told Cheyenne that they could not verify her Aunt was on the bus until ticket stubs were sent in by the driver. I am still trying to gain information on this procedure.

An interesting aside is 2 other women went missing in 2007 under similar circumstances as Elizabeth......at bus depots & traveling via greyhound transportation. One in May, the other in Nov. One of the woman was Audrey Blake. She is now listed as 'recovered' on NCMA site. Though I cannot find any other information on her to explain what 'recovered' indicates. My initial reaction is she is deceased.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to capoly For This Useful Post:

Would you mind giving links to the other two? I mean I suppose it is not uncommon for women to go missing on public transportation, but maybe there are common denominators?

Thank you for your replies Capoly-so let's consider the possibility that Elizabeth's luggage and purse were transported to the bus to SC after it was not removed from the Springfield, MA bus. I mean with only 40 minutes between buses, maybe there is a process in place for passengers who leave their luggage behind and the luggage has been ticketed/ID'd.

What bothers me about this is that this is POST 9/11 in NYC-are you telling me unclaimed luggage sat around unattended for 12 hours? That makes no sense to me. Talk about a weak link for Homeland Security.
    Last edited by believe09; 12-30-2008 at 07:16 PM. Reason: lost my mind for a moment...
    email me

Bob Harrod SAR

― Maya Angelou

9. The Following User Says Thank You to believe09 For This Useful Post:

Ponder this thought with me folks...if we can verify that noone checked in with any of the passengers on the bus, maybe we can post something on City Data or CL looking for people who were on the bus??? Too far out there??
    email me

Bob Harrod SAR

― Maya Angelou

Here are links, believe09. And an interesting request made in 2001 on Greyhounders Yahoo forum. No replies though so don't know if person was successful in getting info.

December 2007-Audrey Blake

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/new...4?OpenDocument

http://www.projectjason.org/forums/i...14.0;topicseen

http://www.theyaremissed.org/ncma/ga...hp?A200805536S

Barbara Ann Hutchinson May 2007
    http://www.bethebadge.com/pressrelea...d=710200885435

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/...n_barbara.html

From Greyhounders:
    looking for greyhound employee(s)

I'm looking to find a greyhound employee (or someone who knows one) that has
    access to passenger lists, etc., to assist in locating a missing person. Will
    compensate for right info
    Fri Dec 28, 2001 7:25 am

ETA the smilie was posters.

Cheyenne supplied these answers to my questions. (hope I asked the right questions, believe09) Information from that time is on Cheyenne's grandmother's (Elizabeth's mother) computer. Since Elizabeth's missing is very distressing for her grandmother, Cheyenne will only access the computer when her grandmother is not present. Also, am trying to ask the questions in as neutral a way as possible so as not to bring a flood of emotions back on Cheyenne.

If anyone has a question(s) that be good to ask, please post it.

Notice part of the answer in bold red...good for them going down there!

>1.) Was family told where your Aunt's luggage was found? No, they gave no specific location.

> 2.) Was family told that luggage was found by Port Authority personnel or Greyhound personnel? Security or maintenance? All they said was that it was found and forwarded to it's destination.

> 3.) Was family given an approx time for when the luggage was found? According to a Greyhound employee in Greensboro, NC, her luggage was put on a bus in NYC headed towards Richmond at 8:21am Wednesday, 8/22/07 and finally made it to Greensboro on Thursday 8/23/07 at 5:00 pm.

> 4.) The security video that Port Authority said was too grainy for family to view....Did someone from Port Authority actually view it? (as far as you were told) And did they say your Aunt was seen on this video by PA police? This one is just ridiculous- The very first story from the PA police was that the video was too grainy to recognize anyone. They didn't see anyone matching her description get off the bus. Then my grandmother, mother and myself popped up on Det. Mays (who was suppose to be investigating the case) and demanded to see the video and he said it was erased. He said that he personally viewed the tape and she was not picked up by any of the camera's. In my opinion, they never watched the tape.

> 5.) Springfield police told family they were able to prove your Aunt was at Port Authority. Did they say how they proved this? Was it by PA viewing of the video? Or based solely on your Aunts luggage being found at Port Authority? Springfield police interviewed the bus driver and he said he remembers my aunt. There were only 4 people on the bus headed to NYC and she was one of them. He said she got off the bus at the Port Authority.

> 6.) Did family ever hear back from Greyhound re ticket stubs that were to be turned in by bus driver? The bus company told the police that the only ticket used was the one from Springfield to NYC. They said the rest of her tickets were not used.

> 7.)Did Port Authority police or Greyhound or Springfield police say they would be speaking to passengers of the buses your Aunt was on or supposed to be on? No one interviewed the passengers on the bus. I was begging for them to.

> 8.) Do you have any paperwork you can scan and email to me, like the missing persons report? If so,before sending please cover all personal information such as social security number, family addresses & phone numbers & last names in dark black marker. Yes, I have both the Springfield and NYC reports.

> 9.) Did your Aunt have any friends in the NYC area? People she may have met through the Internet and may have been aware of her plans? My aunt had no friends or family in NYC.

> 10.) Do you have the names of persons/agency family has spoken with over the past year? Everyone we spoke to are police officers. I can get there info off the police reports.

Quote Originally Posted by believe09 View Post
    Ponder this thought with me folks...if we can verify that noone checked in with any of the passengers on the bus, maybe we can post something on City Data or CL looking for people who were on the bus??? Too far out there??
    Will post on Springfield's CL/City Data later today. Only 4 people on the bus!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to capoly For This Useful Post:

Bus ticket number was 18008328. According to Peter Pan Customer Service the bus arrived on time at 7:50PM (Not 8:15 as previously thought/posted). This was an express bus to New York City.

A snip from a letter written by Elizabeth Barrett's 15 year old daughter. She sent the letter to news sources with hopes of her mom getting some publicity.

"I'm not asking for your sympathy, I'm asking for your help. I need people to realize that I can't do this all by myself. My family has nowhere else to turn and we don't know what more we can do. I don't know more else I can tell you. I'm scared,worried, and stressed and just need people to open up their eyes and mouths and take action. I know my mom wouldn't have just went up and disappeared with out a word. I have a really strong feeling that something happened to my mom and she's out there needing our help.
    So let me ask you,"Is there anybody out there that can help me find my mother?" Is there anybody that can help me do more than I already did?"

17. The Following User Says Thank You to capoly For This Useful Post:

I think it would be a good idea to do background checks on the bus driver and the three other passengers mentioned in capoly's post.

Susan

19. The Following User Says Thank You to TGIRecovered For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by TGIRecovered View Post
    I think it would be a good idea to do background checks on the bus driver and the three other passengers mentioned in capoly's post.

Susan

Agree with you. Am also trying to determine where this bus was scheduled to go after Port Authority.

The purse being returned empty strikes me as strange. It was apparently one of those large catch-all type purse/bags and contained magazines, books and snacks for the trip. But it was found empty with the luggage? If security emptied out the contents as a safety check, wouldn't they put the items back in the purse? A thief isn't likely to take the time to return an empty purse. Nor an abductor.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to capoly For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by TGIRecovered View Post

Susan

I agree - it seems most likely that she became friendly with the other passengers or the driver and let her guard down during the layover.
    -Beth In Alaska

She could have also met someone online from the NY area who maybe suggested they could meet to have coffee or something during her layover since she would be in the area and he/she was the perpetrator.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to HollywoodBound For This Useful Post:

I spent quite a bit of time on the phone with Springfield PD this morning on the ins and outs of the case. Now, Springfield has officially closed out the case because it is not their turf. They are 100% stating it is not their jurisdiction. The officer was kind enough to grab the file however and read his case notes etc to me.

What I learned:

• he states firmly that the bus driver ID'd Ms. Barrett as a bus passenger.
    • he read to me the notes on the copy of the bus ticket stating that Ms. Barrett made it from Springfield to Hartford, from Hartford to New Haven and from New Haven to PABT in NYC.
    • He stated that Ms. Barrett would have had to show physical ID to pick up her tickets AND to board the bus using that ticket.
    • He is a HUGE fan of the family.

My outstanding question:

• Why did the bus driver tell a different story, apparently, to PABT investigators as to whether or not she recognized Ms. Barrett?
    • How did Ms. Barrett's luggage get from PABT to Greensboro and why so late?

I am going to try and get a hold of detectives for the PA to see if the case is still open on their end.
    email me

Bob Harrod SAR

― Maya Angelou

26. The Following User Says Thank You to believe09 For This Useful Post:

Bumping this case. Any news?

Oh my-such news....now, how to update it.

First and foremost-

Elizabeth was compared and ruled out to a UID in Fulton County GA- 07-2111. The sketch was spot on and the dentals seemed to match. It took 7 months for the outstanding MedEx for Fulton County to get sufficient data from Mercy Hospital in Springfield, MA to rule out the remains as being Elizabeth. I want to give a shout out to TS for being dedicated and tenacious during the process. No wonder families and LE get worn down when trying to get together enough info for a legal ID.

I spoke with the detective for PABT regarding the case and why they closed it:
    1.) They received a BOLO for a 4'11" subject who weighed 170-180 lbs. They claim they received it from Springfield. When they reviewed the grainy tape of the arrival of the bus EB was purportedly on, they were looking for "Sponge Bob." (direct quote from the detective.) In fact, EB was 4'11" 120-130. So they should have been looking for a child essentially. When I pointed this out to the detective he was flabbergasted.

2.) PABT claims that the driver of the bus never ID'd EB as a passenger-the det read to me two interviews he did with her. Further, he stated that the initial claims by Springfield PD that the bus leaving Springfield was stopped by the car EB was in-and that the cars manoevers were witnessed by Security at the Greyhound Bus Station, never happened. PABT claims that Springfield PD acknowleged that this never happened.

3.) PABT indicated that since there was no proof EB arrived in NYC, the case was a Springfield case and they closed it out. They will not reopen it unless there is proof that she arrived in NYC. The tapes have since been erased.
    email me

Bob Harrod SAR

― Maya Angelou

29. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to believe09 For This Useful Post:

Part Two:

The person who claims to have driven EB to the bus terminal in SPD has been contacting the family in the last two years with varying statements regarding EB's whereabouts. The latest contact was in the form of a phone call where the family member indicated to me that the driver claimed EB was alive and well and that she had gone underground to avoid a warrant that is outstanding.

What makes this somewhat difficult for me to swallow is the fact that EB has some outstanding insurance money due to her from a car accident in 2006. The settlement is being paid in installments and would be useful to a woman who has not held a traditional job in some time. Warrants have not prevented EB from traveling to and from Springfield in the past from NC I have been told by the family. Wonder what might be so exceptional about this one that might keep her from even calling her family?

CBS Springfield covered EB's initial disappearance:
    http://www.cbs3springfield.com/news/local/9432746.html

I contacted them two weeks ago about doing a follow up given some of the developments in the last 7 months. I was given a favorable response and turned over the familys contact information. Yesterday I sent a follow up to see how the broadcast went and received this reply:
    We decided not to since according to police, they have an active arrest warrant against her. That sort of knocks the wind out of the story. But I wish the family the best.

Doug Lezette
    News Director

Given that the arrest warrant was in place when the first story is done, I have a problem with the decision. Apparently one has to be without sin to deserve to be found. Head shakingly sad.
    email me

Bob Harrod SAR

― Maya Angelou

31. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to believe09 For This Useful Post:

Personally, imvho, I am not 100% sure that EB left Springfield. According to the PABT interview with the bus driver, the bus was delayed by 40 minutes or more from leaving to go to NYC. Some passengers disembarked. There are other reports from witnesses indicating that someone matching EB's description boarded the bus intoxicated and loud. When the delay was announced, it has been reported that she disembarked to obtain something to drink...across the street from the bus terminal is a bar that she had been to before.

hmmm.

She was carrying a tote bag which was not located with her luggage.
    email me

Bob Harrod SAR

― Maya Angelou

33. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to believe09 For This Useful Post:

I am going to transcribe my notes from my conversations with various agencies...I will do my best to have it make sense!

Elizabeth Antoinette Barrett, DOB 11/63 date missing 8/21/07, date reported missing 8/23/07.
    AKA Tony Squaire (married name)

SPD incident report: 07-13691-OF 8/23/07 1650PM
    PABT report: NCIR 359-07 PA 2113 12-75 8/26/07

Elizabeth purchased her bus ticket 48 hours prior to departure with a VISA at the bus terminal in SPD. The Peter Pan bus was due to depart SPD at 1630PM and arrive at PABT NYC at 8:00PM. From there, EB would change to a Greyhound bus to complete her trip home to NC. EB was carrying a shoulder bag, tote style, and had two small suitcases.

The suitcases arrived in NC 12hours after the scheduled arrival of EB. EB never arrived in NC.
    email me

Bob Harrod SAR

― Maya Angelou

35. The Following User Says Thank You to believe09 For This Useful Post:

Peter Pan Bus and Driver:
    40 people were ticketed to ride the bus on 8/21/07. 27 people departed the bus at PABT NYC. There was a scheduled stop in Hartford, CT. The driver used a hash mark system to keep track of the passengers who departed from the bus. She would mark the passengers ticket. There is a copy of EB's ticket in her file at SPD. There is no indication that she departed the bus at Hartford.

The driver was interviewed 3 times regarding whether or not she recalled EB being on the bus. There are two versions of her responses:
    SPD: Indicates that the driver positively ID'd EB as being on the bus on that day. She believed that EB was the passenger she recalls as boarding the bus intoxicated. She believes that EB is the passenger who asked her where she could go get a drink when the bus was delayed from departing the terminal for 45 minutes. Driver does not know if she stepped off of the bus during the delay.
    PABT: Driver does not recognize EB. At all. Could not ID her from a DL photo.

BOLO:
    PABT Detectives told me that the BOLO they received from SPD indicated that EB was 4'11" and 170-180LBS. Based on that BOLO, PABT reviewed the grainy tape of the bus' arrival in NYC and did not see a passenger depart matching the description they had received. They did not find anyone matching that description on any of the surveillance video from the terminal itself. They reviewed tape from the ATM's, and found no one with that description either.

SPD indicates that the BOLO description could have been transcribed incorrectly when rec'd in NYC. The tapes have been erased and taped over.
    email me

Bob Harrod SAR

― Maya Angelou

37. The Following User Says Thank You to believe09 For This Useful Post:

Luggage:
    Luggage is ticketed through to the final destination of the passenger. It is likely that EB's luggage was moved to a holding area as unclaimed and then forwarded on to the next bus headed to her arrival destination.

SPD Bus blocking incident:
    SPD interviewed the friend who drove EB to the bus that day. SPD indicated the driver of the vehicle told them that he and EB were running late, so they drove around to where the buses are parked and blocked in the bus so that EB could board it prior to departure. SPD further indicated that security at the bus terminal yelled at the driver of the car because he was in violation of posted signs by being near the buses.
    PABT categorically denies this incident occurred-they claim they spoke repeatedly with both the driver of the bus and security at the SPD terminal. Neither recalled an incident occurring along these lines. PABT claims that when they confronted SPD detectives, SPD conceeded that this incident did not happen.

SPD closed out the file and told the family that this was a PABT case. The family met with PABT detectives on 10/1/07. PABT detectives explained to the family that they did not believe that EB ever arrived in NYC so it was a SPD case. They also closed the file.
    email me

Bob Harrod SAR

― Maya Angelou

39. The Following User Says Thank You to believe09 For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast