LA LA - Faye Self, 26, Armistead, 30 March 1983

Richard

Reaction score
25 years ago...

-----------------------------
Faye Aline Self
Missing since March 30, 1983 from Armistead, Red River Parish, Louisiana.
Classification: Missing

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: October 18, 1956
Age at Time of Disappearance: 26 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'0"-5'2"; 100 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: Bleached blonde hair from brown. Her hair was shorter than in photo when she disappeared. Grey eyes.
Marks, Scars: Surgical scar on abdomen from a hysterectomy. Scar on right leg. Vaccination scar on left arm.
Dentals/Fingerprints: Available. She wears upper dentures.
AKA: Aline

Circumstances of Disappearance

On the night of March 30, 1983, Aline Self left her baby with her mom and went to meet some friends at the Wagon Wheel Bar & Restaurant. The friends in the bar said that Aline told them she was leaving to go get her daughter since she had to be at work early the next day. She never arrived at her mom's house. Her car was still in the parking lot the next day.

The car was still locked and the keys were not found. Her father and brother broke into it and popped the locked steering column so they could pull it home.

Her family says she did have a wild streak but she was very responsible where the baby was concerned and she would never have left willingly. Aline was declared dead 5 years after her disappearance.

On July 27, 2006 in Colorado Springs, Colorado, Robert Charles Browne, a Red River Parish native, was indicted for the 1987 death of 15-year-old Rocio Sperry. Bowne, 53, claims responsibility for Aline Self's death as well as two other females in Red River Parish and that of 47 other people across the United States.

Browne was the maintenance man at the apartment where Self lived. He says he entered her unlocked apartment, found her asleep, placed a rag with chloroform over her face and went to get a rope to bind her. When he returned, she was dead. He dumped her body in a river.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Red River Parish Sheriffs Department
318-932-5753

NCIC Number: M-289331879
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:
The Shreveport Times
The Gazette
Rocky Mountain News
Gazette Com
The Doe Network: Case File 1410DFLA

LINK

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1410dfla.html

I feel there are too many loopholes in the story.

She had told friends she was going to pick up her daughter at her mom's and go home because she had to go to work the next day. So I don't understand why her car was still at the bar and Browne claims to have encountered Faye while she was sleeping in her apt, so where was the daughter ?

I personally don't believe that Browne encountered her as he says.

I don't believe Browne's story. If she did walk home, I think she would have called her parents and let them know she was going home and not picking up her baby from them. Not to mention, why would she tell her friends she was going to pick up her baby and then go home and go to sleep?

some of the missing person websites state that she left with 2 males, so this is why Brownes story does not make sense to me.
She left her car in parking lot, was seen leaving with two men, went home without calling parents or picking up baby, went to sleep and then he killed her. It does not make sense.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080731/NEWS03/807310330

COUSHATTA — The two-year anniversary of the confession of a Coushatta native who claims to be one of the nation's most prolific serial killers passed this week without public or media notice.

But it's certainly not far from the mind of the daughter of a Coushatta woman who Robert Browne confessed to killing. Karrie Bateman, who was 10 years old when her mother, Faye Aline Self, 26, was reported missing in March 1983, did not let the anniversary of Browne's confession to Self's death go without re-urging attention to this cold case that's yet to be stamped closed.

Moved these posts from Virginia unidentified thread posted 12/30/08 for discussion.

Ima

carolwood

In the Jane Doe above, August 7, 1986
http://www.doenetwork.org/hot/hotcase139.html
has anyone found a picture? There may be someone from
Louisiana close to this description.

Today, 10:17 AM
carolwood

Could this be the Jane Doe in Virginia
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/s/self_faye.html

shannon2008

Thank you for the information.

They can't/won't post a picture of 139 because it's a headless torso, with no hands and only one leg recovered.

I have recently submitted one possible match for 139 which you can find a discussion about in the Unidentified forum. (Hazel Alice Klug/Hot Case 139)

This could be a possibility, but I feel that it would only be one if the serial killer who confessed to this crime was completely lying about being involved in her murder.

The reason I say this is because if he threw her in the river in
Louisiana the body would have floated downstream with the possibility of floating out to sea. It would have had to travel an impossible distance upstream to make it to Virginia. Also, he did not put her body in any container or refrigeration. But most of all, the amount of damage done to this body was done by a chainsaw, it did not occur naturally in the water with decomposition.

I also feel it may be a long shot because she intended to pick up her infant child. If she was a mother running away from her responsibility, by running off to VA, I don't think she would tell her friends that she's picking up her child and leave to do just that. That tells me she was abducted and killed locally, but there are always exceptions to the rule!

It could be a possible this so-called serial killer was lying. One glaring error I find, if the Charley Project's story is correct, is how he could have met her at her apartment if her car was found in the lot behind the restaurant (with keys and purse missing and the doors locked)? Did someone else drive her home, maybe if she was drunk?

I will keep a note of this and will submit it as the next possible match if the person submitted now does not check out.

There are some posts still remaining in the other thread, if they could please be moved here...

Also, if this could be marked submitted that would be great. Carolwood called the Rapids Parish LE about this tip today.

Thanks carolwood, maybe one of us will be lucky and find a match to this terribly victimized UID.:clap:

Moving posts from Virginia UID thread to here for discussion...

Today, 03:46 PM
carolwood

I called this one in too Rapids Parish Sheriff, today. The reason is he could be lying. Faye's vehicle was left at the bar. She had to have been taken from there. Faye had had a hystorectomy. UID had hystorectomy. Faye, brown hair, known to bleach hair, UID had brown hair with hilites.
I am interested to know if Mr. Browne, the Serial Killer, was a truck driver? Seems UID was well kept in a cool enviroment, according to CCPD.

Today, 03:47 PM
dearmont

The Doe Network: Hot Case 139 = possible match

The date/time of death may be incorrect if remains were stored in a cooler of some kind. This may be a match to this case file:

]The Doe Network:Case File 929DFMD - Billy Jean Hall - Missing since February 28, 1985 from Jessup, Anne Arundel County, Maryland

Scars match and she had injuries from a car accident.

Hall left Jessup on February 28, 1985 in a Nissan Camper to go to a biker convention in Daytona Beach, Florida. She was to be gone for two weeks.
After four weeks, no one had heard from Hall and she was officially reported missing. ChesterVA is very close to I-95 - the route she would have most likely taken to get to Daytona.

Thoughts??

While reading Faye's blog, Robert Charles Browne, the Serial Killer who admitting to killing her. In 2006 while in Prison in Colorado, has admitted to killing in nine different states, 17 in Louisiana, 9 in Colorado, 7 in Texas, 5 in Arkansas, 3 in Mississippi, 2 in New Mexico, 2 in Oklahoma, 2 in California, and 1 in Washington state. He'd used a knife, a screwdriver, an ice pick and just his hands. He said he dumped victims everywhere, in lakes, rivers, and gullies; some he'd even cut up.
http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/serial_killers/predators/robert_charles_browne/1_index.html

According to a post on that blog, Browne was not a truck driver but a former tree farmer.

Having family in NC Christmas tree country, normally tree farmer's have deals with local driving companies who deliver the trees to market. It's possible, I suppose it's possible for tree farmer's in the 80's to use in-house drivers but I would think that would limit them to the local areas/nearby states.

It says former, but according to articles in that blog he was not a tree farmer in the 80's but verified as a maintenance man for Riverside Apartments from an interview with a man who lived there at the time.

No, in 1983, he was the maintenance man at the apartment complex she lived at, living next door to her. I think he is lying about her case and there is still a killer out there. He may have did it, but lying about what he did to her, or maybe he has killed so many, he doesn't remember. Seems to me Browne has traveled around alot.

-In the Army as a teenager when he first met his fourth out of five wives, Rita Morgan, they married in 1980 and she was divorced with two kids (all wives say he was abusive and violent to them). They divorced in 1984. Browne claims to have first killed a man over a fight for a woman while stationed in South Korea but this has never been verified.

-During the time of Faye Aline Self, he was employed by the Riverside Apartments as the maintenance man in the mid-80's.

-Browne's M.O. if he is to be believed is: "The victims were mostly what Browne called opportunities — women he picked up for sex. He told Mr Hess that he would strangle, stab or shoot them and then dump their bodies in rivers or rubbish bins." That doesn't mesh with a body being taken from LA to VA to be disposed of.

-None of the many murders Browne claims to have committed have been in or around Virginia or along the east coast. If he did carry her body to VA, he didn't commit a murder there (or at least hasn't admitted to it).

Lots of articles about Browne collected here:
http://www.crimezzz.net/serialkiller_news/B/BROWNE_robert_charles.php

I wonder if anyone other than the one article I've seen has questioned his wife at the time about Faye Aline Self??:waitasec:

I ran a search on Doe for "hysterectomy" and these are the rest of the women who fit the description for Hot Case 139 (I listed from most likely to least likely based on attributes and location):

Elizabeth Noleeka Crawford (strong match to me)
Missing since July 16, 1986 from Simpsonville, Greenville County, South Carolina.
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/517dfsc.html

Althea Lanelle Rogers
Missing since October 2, 1985 from Georgetown, Williamson County, Texas.
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/586dftx.html

Della Marie Hillard
Missing since May 4, 1988 from Houston, Harris County, Texas.
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/890dftx.html

Dorothy Suzanne Carter
Missing since June 3, 1981 from Lawrence, Essex County, Massachusetts.
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/831dfma.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahlm8627
Back