GUILTY CA - James Charles for child abuse, Poway, 2008

Filly

KICKING AND SHINING
Reaction score
James Charles is a Marine. He's also a father who has admitted to some temper issues. A temper which caused him to shake his infant son admittedly over 30 times and sending the baby to surgery with a brain injury.

Mom accompanied her son and his father to the hospital. However she claims to know nothing about the baby being harmed by the father.

Prayers for this poor baby boy. Dad thankfully is locked up.

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2008/dec/31/1m31pubsafe001725-public-safety/?zIndex=30079

This seems to be happening way too often (once is too often really). Both of my children had colic and they would cry for what seemed like hours on end. When I felt that I couldn't take it anymore I laid them down and walked away for a minute or two.

Maybe there should be some mandatory lessons on taking care of a baby before they let the little one leave the hospital. It wouldn't help in all cases but even if it saved one it would be worth it.

This is so sad, I absolutely hate hearing this.

When I had my baby in June....they made us watch a video on the dangers of shaking a baby before we checked out. That must have recently been added since they did not do that 4 years ago when I had my first at the same hospital.

The video was sad and made me cry. Several moms talked about how they lost their babies due to shaking by the fathers. This seems to be something that men do much more than women.

All hospitals should educate parents about the dangers of shaking a baby before they leave.

Good grief! Must be something crazy going on in peoples' heads! I just posted two stories about infants who suffered this same abuse, in the past 3 days. One died and the other will be gone as soon as they harvest his little organs. :(

It's just sickening!

There is no excuse for this. Mandatory lessons imo, won't help. We had our kids while my husband was still in the military. Before we left the hospital you had to watch videos, speak with many different people and listen while they told you the basic "what no to do's". My angels frustrated the he11 out of me at times, and I think it's completely normal to feel a bit overwhelmed when you can't make your baby happy.
EVERYBODY knows that you can not shake a baby! I hope he rots.

I never understood that rationality. Like shaking a child was gonig to make them stop crying...

I did a search by name and didn't find a thread, if this is a duplicate please delete.

http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktla-marine-abuse,0,6930876.story

James Lewis Charles is accused of committing several "willful acts of violence" against his infant son.

A sheriff's detective said during a preliminary hearing that Charles admitted tossing his son onto a hard surface 30 times.

Prosecutors say the baby suffered brain injuries, is now blind in one eye and has developmental problems.

<snip>

Detectives say Charles admitted dropping the child from as high as 4 feet into a "giddy-up" playpen area at least 30 times, five times when he was angry.

Each time he dropped the child, Charles heard a "thump" and knew the baby was injured but he didn't care, the detective said the defendant told him.

"His wife had told him he was too rough with Owen," the detective testified. "He said it hurt (the baby), but he continued doing it."

:mad: :furious:

How does the mother see this going on and not jump on him like a mama bear? No way I could just say "you're hurting him" or whatever she said. That man's blood would have been on my hands the first time he tried to pull some crap like that with my child. Regardless if it were also his own. I will never understand some parents failure to protect their child from harm, no matter whom causes it.

How does the mother see this going on and not jump on him like a mama bear? No way I could just say "you're hurting him" or whatever she said. That man's blood would have been on my hands the first time he tried to pull some crap like that with my child. Regardless if it were also his own. I will never understand some parents failure to protect their child from harm, no matter whom causes it.

I am baffled by the entire story. How she could watch it go on and describe it as being too rough. If it is because he is sadistic, cruel and violent, why bring a baby into the mix?

And last but not least- he admits to dropping the baby over 30 times, hard enough to hear a thump, to know he was injured, AND he was angry five of those times. That makes the other 25 times entertainment?

I would fight to the death if I saw someone hurting my children.

I don't understand it either.

OK, WTF is going on with these younguns? I can't even imagine how a so called human being can do this to a baby. Is society going back to our primitive days? I don't get it. :mad:

Right has become wrong and wrong has become right.

I feel like I'm in Bizarro World.

The mother knew that the jerk was causing harm to her child? Why isn't she being charged with child endangerment?

So sad that people can look at a helpless, cherubic little infant and harm him/her. :mad:

I agree the mother should be charged!! If she allowed this to happen she is just as guilty. I would kill someone before I watch them hurt one of my kids. She could have called the police if she was scared of him.

I hope the mom didn't actually know he was dropping or throwing the baby.
He could have done that while she was gone or not looking. Maybe she just thought he handled him or laid him down too roughly.

Just a little wishful thinking.

OMFG- What is this world coming to??? And this sperm donor was a Marine? Im embarrassed to have him defend our country when he obviously didnt defend his baby!! !!! :furious::furious::furious:

Quoted from KTLA

James Lewis Charles is accused of committing several "willful acts of violence" against his infant son.

A sheriff's detective said during a preliminary hearing that Charles admitted tossing his son onto a hard surface 30 times.

Each time he dropped the child, Charles heard a "thump" and knew the baby was injured but he didn't care, the detective said the defendant told him.

"His wife had told him he was too rough with Owen," the detective testified. "He said it hurt (the baby), but he continued doing it."

Charles also admitted shaking the baby "for seconds" on at least two occasions, Gurrola testified

They neeed to charge the mom too- She knew and even tried to help him. If she couldnt get him to stop, she should have called the police or left-

Poor BABY- What a freaking shame!!!!!!!!!

OK, WTF is going on with these younguns? I can't even imagine how a so called human being can do this to a baby. Is society going back to our primitive days? I don't get it. :mad:

People have been harming children since the beginning of time, I'm afraid. This is NOT new behavior. The new behavior is that these days children have more rights and respect than they have ever had in the history of the world - I hope we keep heading in that direction.

My prayers for this child and this family.

After an initial interview at the hospital last Dec. 19, Charles told the detective he had an anger management problem and took full responsibility for his actions, saying they were unintentional, Gurrola testified.

Asked why he dropped the child, Charles said it was because the baby was fussy and he (Charles) was clumsy, the detective said.

Soooo which one is it? Was it intentional and he didn't care or was it unintentional? Then it's because he's clumsy?

Poor little guy. :(

Soooo which one is it? Was it intentional and he didn't care or was it unintentional? Then it's because he's clumsy?

Poor little guy. :(

The initial statements say he was just clumsy (how many times would drop your newborn due to motor skills before you stopped holding them? 30? ).

Some wonderful detectives did a stellar job getting him to talk about what really happened in later interviews.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back