Swarms of Earthquakes in Yellowstone!

Elphaba

Defying Gravity...
Reaction score
Earthquakes in Yellowstone are common... even small swarms of them... but for days on end, since last Friday, small earthquake after earthquake has hit the Yellowstone area in Wyoming... which is unusual when compared to past recorded earthquake activity for Yellowstone. Now... what makes this super significant: Yellowstone is part of a multiple caldera area, that is over what some have theorized to be a "supervolcano". Not sure if volcanic activity is revving up to put on a show, but it sure is getting highly interesting out there...

http://www.connectsavannah.com/gyrobase/Content?oid=oid:11877

http://www.usnews.com/blogs/capital...e-earthquakes-under-supervolcano-caldera.html

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601103&sid=azcy5X_UMhoo&refer=us

I have been watching the activity through a program on google earth... it shows it down to the last hour. Pretty interesting stuff!

ETA: the swarms are localized under Yellowstone Lake...

the implications of an eruption are scary as hell. i belong to a conspiracy site where people are melting down thinking it's the end of the world coming.

the implications of an eruption are scary as hell. i belong to a conspiracy site where people are melting down thinking it's the end of the world coming.

It might be if it erupts according to the one article, too.. :eek:

Hi Misty and Elphaba, It is darn scary.

Back in 2003 or 2004 {corrected to 2006} we had a thread about this. I remember we read the true dangers posed at Yellowstone were being kept secret from the public by the Federal Gvnmt, and also remember reading if there was a major event there, we would feel it all the way over in the Pacific Northwest. It was traumatic to read.

That thread would be in the archives and I'll try to find it. xox

PS Elphaba, thanks for the OP ;}

ETA: Here is that thread from 2006, hosted by Buzz:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36928&highlight=yellowstone

Here is an interesting post from BirdieBoo from that thread. I think she has studied this area and knew what she was talking about:

"That area has always been seismically active. There are seismographs on display at the Old Faithful visitor centor and they show activity quite frequently. There is a huge "hot spot" under that part of the USA and you can see topographically how the plates have moved over millions of years over the hot spot...it's part of the geography of the whole Snake River Valley. A lot of the rock around there for a few hundred miles is composed of basalt, and there are lava flows still visible to this day. BirdieBoo

just another one of the 8 million ways we could all die i guess.

i'm trying to avoid reading about it. what bugs me is i have the google earthquake addon and it just keeps reminding me about this swarm lol.

maybe it won't erupt till 2012. yet another conspiracy theory!

There was a major quake there in 1959.
It was felt here in Idaho from what im told.
There are still campers buried there that were at a small camping area that was covered by a massive rock slide.

There was a major quake there in 1959.
It was felt here in Idaho from what im told.
There are still campers buried there that were at a small camping area that was covered by a massive rock slide.

Hi Kline, How tragic but appreciated to learn about. Posters who are familiar with a topic like you are about Yellowstone really add a lot to the forum, so Thanks.

If you learn anymore could you please update this thread. I read in the old thread from 2006 I found that if it blew it would pretty well eradicate and cover with pumice dust a 600sq mile area. I did watch that show on I think Discovery about Supervolcano or SS. Been a long time back, 2 years.

I think we need to dig on this subject to get info. If it is dismal news coming out I could see the Feds stepping in again to keep it mum to the public. In your local papers we might find out more about what's happening at Yellowstone than anywhere else.
xox and IMO

Well, I'm a nonbeliever of the conspiracy/end-of-times stuff... I just love nature and following the dynamics of this awesome planet. When stuff like swarms of earthquakes or other natural events happen, I see it as a reality check that us little humans aren't the one running the game... we are at the mercy of nature.

I'm a science geek... after spending much time hiking Kilauea in Hawaii, I started paying more attention to volcanic activity around the world... especially within the lands owned by the US. This planet has been through many changes, and those changes have not ceased, and are always ongoing. I hope nothing cataclysmic is going on in Yellowstone... but something very interesting is at hand... and it is worth paying attention to.

Here's a link to the USGS map for the USA: http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsus/

When the map comes up, you should be able to click on the little squares in WY and zoom in. You can see there have been several quakes in the last few day.

I like to look at this map and the map of the world. You can see where the plates are moving, etc. Pretty interesting stuff.

Salem

Hi Kline, How tragic but appreciated to learn about. Posters who are familiar with a topic like you are about Yellowstone really add a lot to the forum, so Thanks.

If you learn anymore could you please update this thread. I read in the old thread from 2006 I found that if it blew it would pretty well eradicate and cover with pumice dust a 600sq mile area. I did watch that show on I think Discovery about Supervolcano or SS. Been a long time back, 2 years.

I think we need to dig on this subject to get info. If it is dismal news coming out I could see the Feds stepping in again to keep it mum to the public. In your local papers we might find out more about what's happening at Yellowstone than anywhere else.
xox and IMO
Most of the coverage here is about the tremors and some brief recaps of the'59 quake.
If you guys find volcanoes interesting you should have been here in '80 for Mt.St. Helens.Good Grief!
I was kind of hoping that was a once in a lifetime experience.:)

Here's a link to the USGS map for the USA: http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsus/

When the map comes up, you should be able to click on the little squares in WY and zoom in. You can see there have been several quakes in the last few day.

I like to look at this map and the map of the world. You can see where the plates are moving, etc. Pretty interesting stuff.

Salem

Salem, they have a "layer" you can add to Google Earth from the data you see on those maps. It's pretty cool looking and lets you get way on into the terrain of where the quakes are located...

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/catalogs/

Most of the coverage here is about the tremors and some brief recaps of the'59 quake.
If you guys find volcanoes interesting you should have been here in '80 for Mt.St. Helens.Good Grief!
I was kind of hoping that was a once in a lifetime experience.:)

Good Morning Everyone and thanks for the interesting input already today on our thread. Great interview from US News, and thanks for the maps too.

I was living in Vancouver Washington when she blew, and was sitting on a high ridge looking north as the plume began to rise up from the mountain. We were in a state of disbelief at what was happening before our eyes, but were primed and ready for the event to happen.

The nights before we had sat on that same ridge and watched the mountain area for the hot spots that would appear. Amazing points of red light coming from the mountain, and we saw lots of them, heralding the coming of what would turn out to be a true lifetime experience for a huge metropolis and thousands of people watching in real time.

I'll never forget it and I can close my eyes now and see it as though I was right back there on that ridge. xox

Good Morning Everyone and thanks for the interesting input already today on our thread. Great interview from US News, and thanks for the maps too.

I was living in Vancouver Washington when she blew, and was sitting on a high ridge looking north as the plume began to rise up from the mountain. We were in a state of disbelief at what was happening before our eyes, but were primed and ready for the event to happen.

The nights before we had sat on that same ridge and watched the mountain area for the hot spots that would appear. Amazing points of red light coming from the mountain, and we saw lots of them, heralding the coming of what would turn out to be a true lifetime experience for a huge metropolis and thousands of people watching in real time.

I'll never forget it and I can close my eyes now and see it as though I was right back there on that ridge. xox
I was in High School in Thompson Falls Montana.
There had been so many false alarms and minor eruptions it had almost stopped being news.
I remember I got to do a joint report on it with a girl I had a huge crush on.
That day it was really grey and over cast and we werent watching the TV news (We only got two channels anyway.)
Then it started getting unnaturally dark.I was out side and my skin felt strange I looked down at the hood of a pickup I was leaning against and noticed kind of a scrim over the metal and I traced in it with my finger then realised this gray fine powder was falling everywhere.
It took a few minutes to think of Mt.St. Helens but I quickly banished the thought because surely this crap couldnt be coming from that far away...
My Mom turned on the news and then it all became clear.
Two guys I know had been up in the mountains scouting firewood and assumed what they were seeing was nuclear fall out and the world was toast.
They were most relieved when they got back to town after making their peace with God all the way down the hill.
Later my brother and I went for a walk.
It was falling in earnest by then and the whole world was grey with that kind of hushed silence you usually only feel on winter days when its snowing heavily.(This was in May)
I remember seeing a few cars that were moving silently down HWY 200 kicking up large rooster tails of ash 20 feet in back of their trunks.
Later everyone figured out this crap could ruin a engine so it didnt take long for people to stop driving.
I remember at one point people shoveling ash off their sheds because of the weight.
It was great fertilizer though,you should have seen some of the vegatables from local gardens the next year!
And for years later whenever loggers would fall a tree they would have to wait for the ash cloud to disperse.
Those were some surreal days.
A couple of days later to top things off we were treated to a complete solar eclipse as if the weird factor wasnt high enough.
I suppose if you were into signs and portents a person probably would have had a complete mental break by that point.
Of course when the first footage came in of the utter destruction around St. Helens we realized we got off very lucky.
One good thing about it it gave me four extra days to complete a beastly accounting assignment that had to be finished before I could graduate at the postponed ceremony.
Made it by the skin of my teeth thanks to St.Helens.

Well, I'm a nonbeliever of the conspiracy/end-of-times stuff... I just love nature and following the dynamics of this awesome planet. When stuff like swarms of earthquakes or other natural events happen, I see it as a reality check that us little humans aren't the one running the game... we are at the mercy of nature.

I'm a science geek... after spending much time hiking Kilauea in Hawaii, I started paying more attention to volcanic activity around the world... especially within the lands owned by the US. This planet has been through many changes, and those changes have not ceased, and are always ongoing. I hope nothing cataclysmic is going on in Yellowstone... but something very interesting is at hand... and it is worth paying attention to.

If Yellowstone blows, cataclysmic won't even cover it. Aside from the death and disaster in the immediate area, the dust, etc., in the atmosphere can give the planet nuclear winter for a long time.

My son moved out of Wyoming a couple of years ago and I was so happy. At that time there was a large bulge under Yellowstone Lake. I've been worried for 5 years or so about this thing, but. . .whatever will be, will be.

There had been so many false alarms and minor eruptions it had almost stopped being news.
That day it was really grey and over cast and we werent watching the TV news (We only got two channels anyway.)
Then it started getting unnaturally dark.I was out side and my skin felt strange I looked down at the hood of a pickup I was leaning against and noticed kind of a scrim over the metal and I traced in it with my finger then realised this gray fine powder was falling everywhere.
It took a few minutes to think of Mt.St. Helens but I quickly banished the thought because surely this crap couldnt be coming from that far away...
Two guys I know had been up in the mountains scouting firewood and assumed what they were seeing was nuclear fall out and the world was toast.
They were most relieved when they got back to town after making their peace with God all the way down the hill.
It was falling in earnest by then and the whole world was grey with that kind of hushed silence you usually only feel on winter days when its snowing heavily.(This was in May)
I remember seeing a few cars that were moving silently down HWY 200 kicking up large rooster tails of ash 20 feet in back of their trunks.
Later everyone figured out this crap could ruin a engine so it didnt take long for people to stop driving.
I remember at one point people shoveling ash off their sheds because of the weight.
It was great fertilizer though,you should have seen some of the vegatables from local gardens the next year!
And for years later whenever loggers would fall a tree they would have to wait for the ash cloud to disperse.
Of course when the first footage came in of the utter destruction around St. Helens we realized we got off very lucky.

How interesting Kline, and that huge cloudwent over Idaho and Montana heading east and went all the way around the world - more than once I think. It was major.

My first thought was my garden as I sat on that ridge, and hearing those around me talk about how we would soon have ash everywhere around us. I raced home, down by the Willamette River so not too far, and proceded to cover each of my plants with paper bags. By the time I got the bags in order there was already a small dusting.

Time kind of stopped, and it was tho we were in a grey snow storm. Light in color when falling, it became a soft medium-light grey when accumulated. We saved bags of it for posterity, and l have two absolutely incredible oil lamps made by a local entrepreneur out of St Helen's ash. It was gritty awful stuff and we soon learned there was really no way to protect our car engines, so trips venturing out were few and well planned. LOL

Well, I am glad for the reality check this morning, but still want to keep close tabs on what is happening in Yellowstone. It is right in our back yard, so to speak, as is the whole ring of fire in the mountains we have in the Pacific Northwest. In fact we often wonder about Mt Hood and that she might really wake up some morning with a big boom!

xox

Salem, they have a "layer" you can add to Google Earth from the data you see on those maps. It's pretty cool looking and lets you get way on into the terrain of where the quakes are located...

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/catalogs/

Thanks Elphaba! It says you have to download it, does it take a lot of room on your computer? Will it slow things down, do you think?

Hmmmmm,

Salem

How interesting Kline, and that huge cloudwent over Idaho and Montana heading east and went all the way around the world - more than once I think. It was major.

My first thought was my garden as I sat on that ridge, and hearing those around me talk about how we would soon have ash everywhere around us. I raced home, down by the Willamette River so not too far, and proceded to cover each of my plants with paper bags. By the time I got the bags in order there was already a small dusting.

Time kind of stopped, and it was tho we were in a grey snow storm. Light in color when falling, it became a soft medium-light grey when accumulated. We saved bags of it for posterity, and l have two absolutely incredible oil lamps made by a local entrepreneur out of St Helen's ash. It was gritty awful stuff and we soon learned there was really no way to protect our car engines, so trips venturing out were few and well planned. LOL

Well, I am glad for the reality check this morning, but still want to keep close tabs on what is happening in Yellowstone. It is right in our back yard, so to speak, as is the whole ring of fire in the mountains we have in the Pacific Northwest. In fact we often wonder about Mt Hood and that she might really wake up some morning with a big boom!

xox
Yeah I worry about Mt. Rainier as well .
My younger brother lives in Seattle and Ive seen the mock ups of what would happen there if that one went.
I still remember from when I was doing that school reports the various corporations who had financial interests in keeping men working in the immediate vicinity of Mt. St. Helens who derided the scientists and questioned their 'alarmist predictions' about an impending eruption and brought in their own 'experts' to swear up and down there was nothing to worry about as far as staying and falling timber on the very foot of the volcano.
Of course they obtained waivers from all of their employees that they compelled to stay on the job first.
Then they used those same waivers in court to fight having to pay anything to those same worker's families for years after they were vaporized in the heat blast.
I think about that everytime I see one of these paid 'scientists' who tell us that Global Warming is just a bunch of 'nonsense science' on behalf of those who have a financial interest in doing nothing about it.

Salem, I run it on an iMac and have no issues with it slowing things down. Google Earth still loads quickly with the layer active.

A couple of days later to top things off we were treated to a complete solar eclipse as if the weird factor wasnt high enough.
I suppose if you were into signs and portents a person probably would have had a complete mental break by that point.
One good thing about it it gave me four extra days to complete a beastly accounting assignment that had to be finished before I could graduate at the postponed ceremony.
Made it by the skin of my teeth thanks to St.Helens.

Wow, thinks for sharing! I remember when it happened, but being down south, it was just a headline on a newspaper, and a 10 minute talk about it in science class. It just seemed so far away, almost in a foreign sense, to my developing mind. I've seen some pictures of the before and after and the changes still blow my mind.

Talking about the dust going around the world: did anyone notice how the sunsets were really brilliant this past summer (if you live in the northern hemisphere)? Alaska's Kasatochi volcano put on one heckuva show, pumping loads of ash into the atmosphere. The ash was pretty intense and circled the northern hemisphere, turning sunsets into gorgeous palettes of intense blues/purples/deep reds. Us atmospheric photographers were LOVING it. Especially when dark rays would show up in a cloudless sunset, thanks to streaks of ash you didn't realize was there ( thanks to being far up into the atmosphere and over the horizon. Sadly though, some conspiracy/UFO believers preached that the rays were actually the shadows of hidden spaceships.)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back