GUILTY UK - Barry Baker, 59, dies as EMTs refuse to help, Brighton, 29 Nov 2008

White Rain

Reaction score
:furious: How horrible and cruel.

Two EMT workers in Britain were arrested after they were heard allegedly discussing whether they should bother to resuscitate a disabled man who had collapsed at home and subsequently died.
Barry Baker, 59, who lived alone, dialed 911 saying that he thought he was having a heart attack. An ambulance was sent to his house while a controller kept him talking on the line.
By the time the ambulance arrived at the house in Patcham, Brighton, Baker had collapsed, but the telephone line was still open and was being recorded.
It is alleged that staff in the control center heard the two medics making disparaging comments about the state of the house.
A police source, who asked not to be named, said that the medics were then heard discussing Baker and saying “words to the effect that he was not worth saving."
more: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,474454,00.html

:furious: How horrible and cruel.

Two EMT workers in Britain were arrested after they were heard allegedly discussing whether they should bother to resuscitate a disabled man who had collapsed at home and subsequently died.
Barry Baker, 59, who lived alone, dialed 911 saying that he thought he was having a heart attack. An ambulance was sent to his house while a controller kept him talking on the line.
By the time the ambulance arrived at the house in Patcham, Brighton, Baker had collapsed, but the telephone line was still open and was being recorded.
It is alleged that staff in the control center heard the two medics making disparaging comments about the state of the house.
A police source, who asked not to be named, said that the medics were then heard discussing Baker and saying “words to the effect that he was not worth saving."
more: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,474454,00.html

From the news story:

"The source said that the two men were allegedly first heard commenting on the untidy state of the house and then saying that it was not worth bothering to resuscitate Baker.
They are said to have discussed what to tell ambulance control and decided to say that Baker was already dead when they got there."

I hope these EMT's are fired and prosecuted! Everyone deserves the SAME treatment, whether they are wealthy or poor. The poor man's home conditions had nothing to do with whether or not they should have TRIED to revive him, whether it was successful or not.

Sheesh! EMT's should not have the right to decide who to treat or not!

Wow, I always thought that someone that would go into that line of work would feel that everyone's life was worth saving.

If I ever need an EMT I better make sure my house is clean. :rolleyes:

That is sickening! I hope they lock up those 2 EMTs for life! Too bad they have no death penalty there. Who are they to be making the Lord's decisions!

Wow, I always thought that someone that would go into that line of work would feel that everyone's life was worth saving.

If I ever need an EMT I better make sure my house is clean. :rolleyes:

I know, isn't that the truth! God, how wrong and how sick. I hope these 's aren't ever put in this situation where someone has to decide if THEY are worth saving or not! :furious:

It's disgusting, who are these EMTs to play God. I hope that they are banned from ever working in a field where they have to make decisions on life or death, and banned from any medical field again.

I hope the two are prosecuted for murder. These are two very dangerous individuals and there's no telling what else they have done. Maybe serial killings while out on their medic calls. Prison is the answer for these two.

From March 2010:

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2010/mar/05/paramedic-jailed-resuscitate-30-stone

A paramedic who lied about his failure to try to revive a collapsed heart attack victim on a 999 call was jailed for a year today.

Karl Harris, 45, tried to involve a trainee colleague in his deception after telling him "not to bother" to give first aid to Barry Baker, 59, who weighed 30 stone... He was sentenced immediately after a jury rejected his not guilty plea to a charge of perverting the course of justice, following four hours' deliberation at Lewes crown court...

Ambulance regulations require "vigorous resuscitation attempts" for around 20 minutes "whenever there is a chance of survival, however remote". The crown accepted that Baker would not have survived and did not hold Harris responsible for his death...

[Ben] Stokes was not charged but has been placed on restricted duties.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VT_Squire
Back