1091 users online (243 members and 848 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Canada - Tara-Lyn Poorman, 17, Regina, 12 Dec 2008

It has been more than a week since 17-year-old Tara-Lyn Poorman left a party in Regina and headed out alone on a frigidly cold night. She hasn't been seen since.

On Friday, Poorman's mother made an emotional plea to anyone who may have information about the girl's disappearance.

"I just want people to know that this is a well-rounded child, a child that's just not going to decide that they don't want to go home anymore," Shellyn Kay said at The Gathering Place on Friday. "I feel in my heart that she's out there somewhere, maybe needing her family and having no way to contact us."

Kay said her daughter does a lot of volunteer work with children and seniors, and isn't rebellious. Kay said the teen always checks in with her family, and "knows to phone home no matter what."

"She was not a party girl. She didn't do drugs. She didn't smoke. She was at school every day, she goes to Rainbow (Youth Centre) every evening, every day. Saturdays, too, she's busy with Rainbow, and then after Rainbow it's our day," Kay said.

Kay says she doesn't believe her daughter would just decide not to come home, and says none of the teen's family or friends have seen or heard from her for a week.

Here is some information and a picture of the missing teen:

http://www.leaderpost.com/Regina+mot...063/story.html
    http://www.leaderpost.com/Search+Reg...367/story.html

Anybody have any ideas about what could have happened? I think her Mom said that she had been drinking and went to the stoor with some friends and they lost her, so maybe she fell asleep and passed out in the freezing cold. The thing I don't get is people would be searching the area for her, around properties and sheds. There's been no sign of her and it is out of character for this young lady to go missing. Unfortunately a woman went missing under similar circumstances after leaving a house party in the early morning hours. Her body was discovered about a year later near a reservation. In made me think that maybe a First Nations did it since the women was First Nations and her body was found by a reserve. I'm not sure if there were gang ties, no information has been released including how she was killed.

Poor Tara. How far was her walk home? Were there any short cuts over frozen ponds or undeveloped areas on the route home?

I can't imagine a girl like this being involved with any gang activity whatsoever.

Is there a boyfriend in the picture?

My God, alone in the cold with asthma and maybe intoxicated. Not a good mix. I see the authorities are still searching for her, so I do not expect this to turn out well.

Pray for Tara and her family.

I'm not sure if there is a boyfriend. There is no body of water in the city except a few miles away. From what I know they walked to a 711 and "lost her" on the way home. She lived a few blocks away and between her home and the store there is not water or undeveloped places. It is all residential but it is the "bad" area of the city that has the prostitution.

BUMP

If anybody has any suggestions on where to look let me know and I can pass it on to LE. I am worried about this young woman because it isn't like her to go missing.

Still no sign of missing teen

Unwrapped Christmas presents still wait for a 17-year-old Regina girl who hasn't been seen in more than a month.

[snip]

Kay feels certain of one thing -- her daughter is not a runaway.

"There was no sign of her leaving," she said, adding Poorman's belongings all remain where she left them at the home of her brother, where she moved two months ago. The Grade 11 student at Cochrane High School, who volunteered at the Rainbow Youth Centre and last year was named a youth ambassador, was also looking ahead.

[snip]

Kay has been told Poorman, the eldest of her two daughters, left that house in the 400 block of Halifax Street around 3 a.m. on Dec. 12 with the intention of heading home. According to her mother, Poorman had money for a taxi rather than walking alone. She was dressed in a black three-quarter-length winter coat, black leggings, long purple shirt, and black suede boots.

Although Saturday typically was "mother-daughter" day for the pair, Kay didn't immediately become alarmed when she didn't hear from Poorman. But by Sunday, "I couldn't rest ... It wasn't like her to not phone me." Kay reported her missing to Regina police that evening.

More: http://www.leaderpost.com/Life/Still...120/story.html

Family pleads for assistance in finding teen

Tara-Lyn Poorman's family pleaded with the public and the provincial government Thursday for help in locating the missing Regina teen.

At an emotional news conference in Regina, the family members said they're fundraising so they can offer a $5,000 reward to anyone who can provide the Regina Police Service with information that leads to the discovery of Poorman.

The 17-year-old has been missing since Dec. 12, when she was last seen at a house party on the 400 block of Halifax Street.

"I'd give anything to have her back," Shellyn Kay, Poorman's mother, told reporters.

Wiping tears from her face, she said her responsible daughter vanished without a sign.

"Why haven't I seen her? I'm hearing horrible stories from the street and I'm afraid to go to sleep," Kay said. "I heard that her disappearance was gang related and that they were putting her on the street. I've also been hearing that she's been murdered."

Kay wondered why police are questioning family members.

"If my family knew something, don't you think they'd tell me?" she asked. "We've given them tips to follow up. If we were white, do you think they would treat this differently?"

Regina police spokesperson Elizabeth Popowich noted four full-time officers are assigned to the case and 100 interviews have been done.

Popowich said police recognize this is a difficult time for the family, but officers have a duty to do a complete investigation, including talking to family members.

http://www.thestarphoenix.com/news/F...613/story.html

http://www.newstalk650.com/story/20090102/10356

No Sign of missing teen

Tara-Lynn Poorman has not been seen since December 12th

A new year is here -- and still no sign of a missing Regina teenager.

Regina Police say 17 year-old Tara-Lyn Poorman was last seen on the 12th of December in North Regina.

A team of trained volunteers with Search and Rescue Regina canvassed the area on the last day of 2008, looking for any evidence that might be linked to the case. That material gathered is still being analyzed to see of there is any connection to the missing girl.

She was last seen at a house party Friday, December 12th in the 400 block of Halifax Street. Police say she is believed to have left the party alone.

Poorman is described as aboriginal, five foot three inches tall, with a medium build and long brown hair with highlights.

She has a beauty mark under her right eye and wears glasses.

Reward Posted in Regina Missing Teen Case: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/saskatchewa...an-reward.html

Prayers for Tara and her family.

Thank you everyone for keeping this thread alive! I hope they find some answers.

http://www.leaderpost.com/news/Regin...406/story.html

Regina Police found a decomposing woman's body that was hidden under some snow not far from the location Tara Lyn was last seen and there has been speculation I've hard localy. Hopefuly it isn't her but if it is, what a tragic ending.

Oh no. I hope the family has answers soon.

update

It appears that the body found is thought to be missing girls. More at link: http://www.leaderpost.com/news/Body+...508/story.html

kaelee2

Oh no. I'm so sad to hear this.
    "Three things in human life are important: The first is to be kind; the second is to be kind; and the third is to be kind." ~ Henry James

Police Say Identifying Body Will Take Time
    May Involve DNA or Dental Records

Many people are already online, on Facebook and elsewhere, offering prayers and condolences to the family of Tara-Lyn Poorman. She disappeared late last year, only about a block from the yard in Regina's Churchill Downs neighbourhood where the body of a female was found.

The police service says it could take most of Tuesday for the coroner's office to conduct a post-mortem, and until then the body's identity can't be confirmed.
    It might require dental records, X-rays, or even DNA.

In the meantime, police are still holding the scene and the death is deemed suspicious.

http://www.newstalk980.com/story/20090420/15222

Regina mother identifies body as missing daughter

A body found in north Regina last week is that of missing teenager Tara-Lyn Poorman, her mother says.

Shellyn Kay told CBC News Tuesday she identified the body of her 17-year-old daughter at the police station on Monday.

Police haven't said anything about the cause of death but said an autopsy and forensic tests will be done.

Kay, who was calm speaking to a CBC reporter Tuesday, said she had held out the hope that her daughter would return alive. She added that she hopes her daughter didn't suffer.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/saskatchewa...n.html?ref=rss

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast