TX TX - Lee, 40, & Chance Wackerhagen, 9, Lockhart, 26 Dec 1993

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

Former Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Still missing after 15 years

On Dec. 26 it will have been 15 years since authorities in Caldwell County made the grisly discovery — 38-year-old nurse Latricia White had been shot six times in the head.

Her body was found in bed at the Lockhart home of Lee Herman Wackerhagen Jr., who had disappeared, along with his nine-year-old son Chance.

Neither has been seen since, prompting the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children to issue yet another plea for the public’s help.

Wackerhagen, who was 40 at the time, was the non-custodial parent of blue-eyed, blond-haired Chase, whose mother lives in Kingsville.

Wackerhagen is wanted both for the murder of White, who was a nurse at Central Texas Medical Center and the mother of two, by Kingsville police for interfering with child custody; and by the FBI, who issued a warrant for Unlawful Flight to Avoid Prosecution in January 1994.

More: http://www.sanmarcosrecord.com/local/local_story_355142408.html

CASE DETAILS

Was Dub the killer or a victim?
On December 27, 1993, Jack White went to visit his daughter, Latricia, at her home in Lockhart, Texas. Latricia, a 38-year old nurse, hadn't been seen or heard from in almost 24 hours. Jack said that he was worried:

"Everyone was concerned about Latricia because she just hadn't gone to work Monday. And she never fails to go to work or at least call."

Jack rushed into the home and found his daughter in her bedroom.

"I just called her name and then I went over and felt her. And I knew that she was dead."

Latricia White had been shot six times in the head with a .22 caliber weapon. Her death stunned her friends and neighbors. She left behind two children and lots of unanswered questions. Despite the violent nature of the crime, there were no signs of a struggle, and nothing in her house had been disturbed.

Dub’s truck was found in Austin
Just as puzzling was the disappearance of Latricia's live-in boyfriend, Lee Wackerhagen, a local trucker nicknamed Dub. Also missing was Dub's nine year old son, Chance, who had been visiting for the Christmas holidays. Sheriff Mike Bading of the Caldwell County Sheriff's Department said that meant they had two possible scenarios to investigate:

"The fact that her boyfriend, Dub Wackerhagen, could not be found led us to several different areas to investigate. Number one, is he a suspect? Could he have committed this crime? The other one, is he a victim? Has he also been injured?"

Three days later, Dub's pickup truck was found abandoned in Austin, Texas, about thirty miles from the crime scene. In the truck, investigators found Dub's hunting rifle, which had not been fired, his checkbook, and his wallet. In the back were a toolbox, a spare tire, and Christmas gifts. Some of the gifts were unopened, and they were all streaked with blood. According to Sheriff Bading:

"Initially in the investigation we felt that this blood could have come from our victim. That was later ruled out. The blood type was not the same as our victim. So we feel that someone else was injured. Not seriously, but someone else was injured."

Could that someone else have been Dub or Chance? The question could not be answered. All of the blood tests were inconclusive.

The police and the White family believe that Dub murdered Latricia in a jealous rage. But Dub's family and friends are convinced that he and Chance also met with foul play. Barbara Stage is Dub's sister:

"We haven't heard anything from him at all. And that tells me that he's got to be dead."

Dub's friend, Melissa Reagan, was shocked:

"I don't know who did it. I just know that he couldn't have done it and then just disappear off the face of the earth."

To the police, however, Dub was the obvious suspect, especially after they began to take a close look at his relationship with Latricia. According to Latricia's family, Dub was extremely jealous and suspicious. Dub's ex-wife and Chance's mother, Gaye Williams, agreed:

"I saw that he was a good man when I met him, and when I left him I was scared to death of him. He had a temper. He treated my oldest boy terribly, and I was scared."

Dub's son, Chance, was often the focus of his arguments with Latricia. Two days before Christmas, a heated argument led to Dub packing his bags and threatening to leave. Just three nights later, Dub, Chance, and Latricia were seen enjoying themselves at a local restaurant. The argument was apparently forgotten. But late the very next day, Latricia's father found her shot to death in her bedroom. Dub and Chance had disappeared. Three days later, Dub was formally charged with first-degree murder. Four months passed with no sign of Dub or Chance. Then, Chance's maternal grandfather, O.P. Williams, got an anonymous phone call at his home:

"All he said was, 'Help me.' And then the phone was jerked out of his hand and slammed down. I looked over at my wife, and I said, 'That was Chance.'"

Could the plea for help actually have come from Chance? Dub's family is convinced the answer is no. They believe that the phone call was a hoax and that Dub and Chance were murdered. But Latricia's family and the police believe that Dub is a killer and that he's still very much alive.

http://www.unsolved.com/ajaxfiles/mis_chance_wackerhagen.htm

It's the christmas presents in the truck, with streaks of blood,that stumps me. Apparently Latricia (sp?) was shot the day after Christmas, so why were there still wrapped presents anyways? If the blood wasn't hers, whose was it? Whose presents were they? I really hope they searched the area around where the vehicle was located..

Missing for almost 20 years...Such a horrible, sad case. I so hope he's somewhere out there, living a happy life as a grown man now.

Wow, I never clicked on that link somehow but that UID could definitely be Lee "Dub" Wackerhagen. First I would call the contact on the UID site, I guess.

The age range for Dub and the IUD is correct. Height and weight are a bit off, but he was found several years after Dub went missing. He is classified as a suicide and Charley Project says Dub may be suicidal. Both men have scars on both arms.

The style of the glasses really stood out to me. Those are an old style not really common in the late 90s, when this man was found. There are pics of Dub Wackerhagen taken in maybe the late 80s early 90s wearing VERY similar glasses.

It says he had "extensive and expensive" dental work. I didn't see anything on Charley Project about that, since it's actually Chance's page there that has the info, there's not really as much info about his dad. Anyone know if Dub had a lot of expensive dental work?

Bump. Unsolved Mysteries re-aired this case today. 21 years still missing

Investigators found that nothing in the home appeared to be missing and believe that this murder was most likely a crime of passion committed by someone closely associated to one or more of the victims.

Since Chance Wackerhagen was living in Kingsville at the time of his disappearance, Kingsville Crime Stoppers is offering a reward up to $5,000 for information that leads to the whereabouts of Chance. To be eligible for the reward, a tipster must call the Texas Crime Stoppers line or Kingsville Crime Stoppers at 1-877-553-2374 or online at www.tipsubmit.com. All tips can be offered anonymously.
http://www.kiiitv.com/story/32005928/dps-seeks-leads-in-1993-murder-missing-persons-case

Was it ever revealed what sort of evidence police have that makes them think they were victims?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kac313
Back