HI HI - Nancy Anderson, 19, Waikiki Beach, 7 January 1972

imamaze

Former Member
Reaction score
Moved from LTWH board to here for discussion, originally posted by: kitbits

HI-Nancy Anderson, murdered in 1972
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I went to school with Nancy's younger sister, but hadn't met her until 1973, after my family moved to Colorado. Really tragic events for this family. Their father had died in a Dow Chemical Plant explosion in Michigan and then, as I recall, they had moved to Colorado. The daughter Nancy was murdered in 72.
Got to thinking about it recently, wondering if anything ever came of it. Because my brain is getting so old, it took me awhile to remember her forename, but I finally did, and then did some google searches & found this:
http://archives.starbulletin.com/2006/03/09/news/story13.html
Can't find any follow-ups, but if anyone does, please let me know! I really hope that they do the DNA testing & that it leads to a solution.

From the star bulletin: "Her doors were locked, the roommate was asleep in the next bedroom and she was not robbed when she was attacked in the bathroom, Anderson said."

That's unusual.

Only other info I found was crimestoppers:http://www.crimestoppers-honolulu.org/Unsolved.aspx?PageNum=4

There is an email address for the reporter that did the story in the starbulletin. I wonder if it is still a good email address? Could write the reporter and ask for any new details they can discuss.

From the star bulletin: "Her doors were locked, the roommate was asleep in the next bedroom and she was not robbed when she was attacked in the bathroom, Anderson said."

That's unusual.

Only other info I found was crimestoppers:http://www.crimestoppers-honolulu.org/Unsolved.aspx?PageNum=4

There is an email address for the reporter that did the story in the starbulletin. I wonder if it is still a good email address? Could write the reporter and ask for any new details they can discuss.

Hi, Kat--yeah, I thought so. Well, I remember her sister telling me that too, that she was attacked whilst her roomate slept. I suppose she must be quite a heavy sleeper--I know I can be at times, particularly because I wear earplugs to block out the loud snoring next to me ;) However, I'm sure a scream would wake me. But perhaps she never had a chance to scream?

Hm...I might try writing him over the weekend. I did see the article, but didn't give it any thought after that...thanks!

Hello, did you ever get any information for the reporter. This is my aunt. We are still searching for the individual or individuals involved! :( please let me know if you received anything thank you.

Nancy Elaine Anderson

She was born on November 10th, 1952 in Bay City, Michigan to Merle Vern Anderson and Thelma Bernice Brown Anderson. Merle died in a Dow Chemical Plant explosion in 1966. Nancy had nine siblings. She was a 1970 graduate of John Glenn High School in Michigan.

It was January 7th, 1972, 19-year-old Nancy had moved to Hawaii two months prior and had just returned from visiting her family for Christmas and New Year's. She was staying at 222 Aloha Dr. in Waikiki and had a job at the Ala Moana Center McDonald's restaurant. Nancy went to Hawaii to mainly experience a new place before going to college. She was always intrigued by the islands.

Nancy was last seen by her roommate, Jody Spooner, at about 4 p.m. in their apartment. When Jody woke up from a nap at around 5:15 p.m. to find Nancy's body on her bedroom floor. She was half-dressed in her uniform, had been stabbed to death with a knife.

Police believe that Nancy knew her killer and let them in. She was not robbed when she was attacked in the bathroom. The balcony doors to the seventh-floor apartment had been closed and locked earlier, and were still locked when her body was found. The building elevator, operated by keys issued to residents, secures the building and the fire stairwell door does not open from the lobby. Doors to each apartment have peep holes. She did not have a car and authorities speculates perhaps that maybe her killer was someone who had offered her a ride.
Homicide detectives questioned two salesmen who were seen Nancy but neither was arrested.

Someone had dropped a bloody towel down the stairwell. Authorities believe it was the murderer's. They tested the towel in the late 1990's and found DNA. I don't know more about the DNA beyond that point.
A Cold Case Squad is taking another look into Nancy's murder.

"Ultimately we want to bring someone to prosecution but if not at least bring some kind of closure to the family, at least remind them someone still cares," Detective Ogawa said.

Nancy's brother Jack, who is currently in Washington State, is hoping for answers.

"We come from a very loving family and forgiving family so we're not looking for retribution or anything we just simply want as much closure as closure can possibly give," Jack said.

LINK:

Darkmatter: Nancy Anderson's Unsolved Murder Is Getting A New Look By A Cold Case Squad.

"At about 4 a.m. Hawaii time today, police in Reno, Nevada, arrested 77-year-old Tudor Chirila on suspicion of second-degree murder without incident. Chirila is pending extradition to Hawaii, according to HPD."

There is also another cold case thread on Nancy.

Reactions: byo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RayaCo
Back