1063 users online (208 members and 855 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

New Law to Affect Selling of Used Kid's Clothes

In a few weeks a law will go into effect that requires all used kid's clothing to be tested for lead. This will affect the poor or those who need to economize since consignment stores, charitable donation stores, craigslist, ebay, and even garage sales will not be able to do the testing.

http://www.kstp.com/article/stories/s731609.shtml?cat=1

Quote Originally Posted by txsvicki View Post
    In a few weeks a law will go into effect that requires all used kid's clothing to be tested for lead. This will affect the poor or those who need to economize since consignment stores, charitable donation stores, craigslist, ebay, and even garage sales will not be able to do the testing.

http://www.kstp.com/article/stories/s731609.shtml?cat=1
    Wow Hows that going to affect eBay Sellers !

Four-year-old Jarnell Brown died in March of 2006 after swallowing a lead-filled charm that came off a pair of Reebok shoes.
    Isn't it up to parents to watch what they give their child ?

The article says how its going to affect the poor, ie the poor are going to get poorer

That is so true

IM very sorry for the 4 year old and parents of course I am, but people need to take responsibility as well.

THis is horrible news. I get almost everything my kids wear used! My question is this - how can they enforce it at garage sales? I thought that would be the one way to still get used clothes.

The other two things are freecycle groups (or reuseit groups). My group says this wont affect us (hopefully) because there is no way for them to realistically enforce it. Also, large clothing swaps will probably get bigger.

The thing is - where do your kids' clothes go when they outgrow them? Some sell or hand down, but many like myself donate to Goodwills and DAV. If they won't take them, then there should be lots more free clothes floating around ( hopefully not the landfill).

Okay, I'm done. This has me all worked up. Especially in this economy when families need used clothes more than ever! Many more people will lose their jobs when you think of all the kids consignment shops that will close. I can think of five stores just near me! Devestating for them. I wish they could just post a sign like is done with selling older toys.

While I understand the danger of lead and other chemicals that have been added, I think of my mom who says she frequently ate the lead paint off the walls growing up. She is fine. Parents need to just use common sense and monitor their kids. This isn't little trinket toys we're talking about from China, this is used clothes that are needed right now more than ever.

Well, they certainly painted part of an issue with a broad brushstroke, didn't they (congress).

You know, the thing that burns my butt about this is that if we (U.S.) didn't import every darn thing we do and got back to actually manufacturing and producing the products we use there are regulations/laws already in place to make sure those chemicals are not in those products and this would not be an issue. To top it off, neither would jobs be an issue; because we'd have industry again.

The kicker... they'll confound the works, so to speak, with this new law and they will still allow the import of those trinkety toys from China and other places as well as all the larger plastics items to boot. So, how, exactly, are they protecting anyone?!

The more we "progress" the further behind the 8-ball we are anymore, it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by laini View Post
    THis is horrible news. I get almost everything my kids wear used! My question is this - how can they enforce it at garage sales? I thought that would be the one way to still get used clothes.

The other two things are freecycle groups (or reuseit groups). My group says this wont affect us (hopefully) because there is no way for them to realistically enforce it. Also, large clothing swaps will probably get bigger.

The thing is - where do your kids' clothes go when they outgrow them? Some sell or hand down, but many like myself donate to Goodwills and DAV. If they won't take them, then there should be lots more free clothes floating around ( hopefully not the landfill).

Okay, I'm done. This has me all worked up. Especially in this economy when families need used clothes more than ever! Many more people will lose their jobs when you think of all the kids consignment shops that will close. I can think of five stores just near me! Devestating for them. I wish they could just post a sign like is done with selling older toys.

While I understand the danger of lead and other chemicals that have been added, I think of my mom who says she frequently ate the lead paint off the walls growing up. She is fine. Parents need to just use common sense and monitor their kids. This isn't little trinket toys we're talking about from China, this is used clothes that are needed right now more than ever.
    Please read about Terry and Darleen Anderson at AMW!

Terry & Darleen Anderson Case File at AMW

Terry & Darleen Anderson WS Forum

Justice for Terry & Darleen!

Snowme- Good post! You are so right!

I never thought I'd see the day where a person couldn't smoke in a bar or in their own car (without kids). But it happened. And now this - I am still shocked. I was joking with DH that there will be back alley secret meetings to sell kids clothes used - like something illegal. LOL.

Just think how this will effect our landfills if people can't find something better to do than throw all those clothes away.

Can you imagine the diseases picked up by the very poor as a result of scrounging through the landfills?! This is crazy!!! I don't have little ones any more and my only one of four still at home is sixteen and wouldn't be caught dead in anything "USED"- LOL- but I can see where this will be a genuine hardship for many people! I have found myself recently giving away many of the toys and books that my kids had when they were younger. I have a feeling that the value of friendship will be increasing if they enforce this ridiculous law!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sheromom View Post
    Can you imagine the diseases picked up by the very poor as a result of scrounging through the landfills?! This is crazy!!! I don't have little ones any more and my only one of four still at home is sixteen and wouldn't be caught dead in anything "USED"- LOL- but I can see where this will be a genuine hardship for many people! I have found myself recently giving away many of the toys and books that my kids had when they were younger. I have a feeling that the value of friendship will be increasing if they enforce this ridiculous law!!!
    Bold is Mine haha so funny !

It is PATHETIC

There are far MORE important things to worry about than this *****

Makes me so angry

but luckily , usually , Australia don't follow everything that the USA do so we might not have this problem
    but I feel for you guys

Also when my little girl was born I bought some Beautiful dresses from the USA on ebay that were for when she was older that had been word by little girls in pageants and special days for like 2 hrs or something!
    Sadly Australia doesnt dress up like you all do over there - Easter and other special occasions..
    I mean yes children are dressed nicely but not as extravangant as you guys do it..
    Which is a shame in many ways..

The government is really getting out of control, can I control my own life please? One of our local talk show guys was talking about this yesterday, apparently toys are included in this new law too. He keeps saying the fatty's are next, and I believe he is right, transfats anyone?

Not to mention with all the clothes being thrown away our land fills, which are already overfilled, will be even worse. This is the most atrocious law that effects so many different aspects its ridiculous.

“Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.” Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sr.

Wow....

I used to own a childrens consignment shop until 3 years ago....

I was able to check toys for lead....

But clothing articles!

Some great mind needs to come up with a way to test clothes (inexpensively). That way DAV, Goodwill, etc. can test the clothes before they sell them.

Was this new law started after the Reebok incident? The child ate a lead trinket off a pair of sneakers that most likely made in another country.
    Such a waste, all those clothes that could be going to poor children will be lost. I don't see how this law makes much sense at all.
    Now what do we do to donate clothes? Adopt a poor family and give it to them directly may be the only way..

I feel bad for the little boy who died, but is this such a huge problem that they need to create a new law?? I can't even see how this will work. We buy almost everything second-hand. We have a very nice Salvation Army that is clean and well-organized. I imagine this would just shut places down because who could afford to do the super-expensive testing?

Can someone enlighten me as to how lead gets into clothing in the first place? I can see it in the zipper of a coat, on painted buttons or on a metal charm like the child in the article swallowed, but I can't see how it can be woven into cloth.

DH and I buy nearly all our clothing used and some generous family friends gave us their sons' outgrown clothing for our two boys. I don't allow my boys to mouth the zippers on their coats or chomp the buttons on their shirts so I fail to see the risk of lead poisoning. There's no way I'm going to haul all their clothes to the curb!

I'm very concerned about the environment and avoiding toxins, but IMHO this law will do more harm than good. It would be far more sensible to vigorously test all new imported clothing effective immediately and within five years I'd bet at least 90% of today's "toxic" clothing would naturally cycle out of the thrift stores and consignment shops without any need to test for lead.

Also, I used to work at a Goodwill and we pulled the drawstrings out of older kid's coats that still had them since they were considered unsafe. Hopefully someone will use some common sense and order thrift stores to remove any metallic charms from kid's shoes or clothes instead of forbidding them from selling them outright.

another law to hurt the poor. Thrift stores are a good way to buy brand name clothes at a good price. I even buy most of my granddaughter's school uniforms at the thrift shops. This administration has always been for big business. I guess they want people to have to buy new stuff. Some kids will probably have to do without because of this law.
    Prayers for all murdered wives and children. My posts are my opinion only.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast