GUILTY MA - Katherine Gomes, 61, & Robyn Mendes, 48, murdered, 6 Jan 2009

MeoW333

Reaction score
http://news.bostonherald.com/news/r..._details_emerge_in_slays/srvc=home&position=2

"
A chronic domestic batterer murdered his ex-girlfriend, dressed up her body and put makeup on her face, leaving a twisted love note in blood on the wall after killing his own mother during a weekend rampage in New Bedford, authorities said yesterday.
Gary Anthony Gomes, 35, of New Bedford was held without bail yesterday in New Bedford District Court on two counts of murder and one count of kidnapping.
On Tuesday, authorities discovered the bodies of Katherine Gomes, 61, the suspect’s mother, and his former girlfriend Robyn N. Mendes, 48, both stabbed to death."

Here's the link for this story from the Boston Globe, which offers a few more details (and not such absurd commentary) than the Herald.

http://snipurl.com/9mu0y

I'd love to know more about the relationship that this guy had with his mother. Apparently during a trial for an episode in which Gomes nearly killed Mendes (who was rescued by a police K-9 unit in the woods) Gomes' mother told Mendes "I'll get you." Here's the quote:

"She also fought with Katherine Gomes, records show. After Mendes testified against her former boyfriend at a dangerousness hearing in 2005, she was threatened by Gomes's mother, who told her, "I'm going to get you." Katherine Gomes was charged with intimidating a witness, a charge that was dropped when she paid $350 in court costs, records show."

When her son stabbed her, I wonder if Mother Gomes was surprised.

The lack of punishment and supervision for this guy is pretty disgusting.

Here's the link for this story from the Boston Globe, which offers a few more details (and not such absurd commentary) than the Herald.

http://snipurl.com/9mu0y

I'd love to know more about the relationship that this guy had with his mother. Apparently during a trial for an episode in which Gomes nearly killed Mendes (who was rescued by a police K-9 unit in the woods) Gomes' mother told Mendes "I'll get you." Here's the quote:

"She also fought with Katherine Gomes, records show. After Mendes testified against her former boyfriend at a dangerousness hearing in 2005, she was threatened by Gomes's mother, who told her, "I'm going to get you." Katherine Gomes was charged with intimidating a witness, a charge that was dropped when she paid $350 in court costs, records show."

When her son stabbed her, I wonder if Mother Gomes was surprised.

The lack of punishment and supervision for this guy is pretty disgusting.

I too, am wondering about the mother/son dynamics in this case.. very strange..

He should have never been released (from link above):
"

• In 2004, police arrested him for allegedly choking his sister after she accused him of stealing a guitar. Their mother witnessed the incident.
  • Ms. Mendes, who dated Mr. Gomes during a brief period in 2005 when she was separated from her husband, had taken out restraining orders against Mr. Gomes in 2005 and 2006, telling police he often abused her.
  • In 2005, during an argument, police said Mr. Gomes grabbed Ms. Mendes by the throat, threw her down, held a butcher knife to her throat, and said, "You're never going to leave me." After that incident, prosecutors moved for a dangerousness hearing, and Ms. Mendes testified against Mr. Gomes, who was held and later sentenced to serve nine months of a 2½-year sentence for assault and battery with a dangerous weapon.
  • In July 2006, Mr. Gomes was charged with trying to run down Ms. Mendes' husband with a car, then dragging her into the woods behind the New Bedford Business Park on Phillips Road. A police officer searching the woods with a police dog found Mr. Gomes on top of Ms. Mendes, with his hands around her neck. She later told police that Mr. Gomes told her he wanted to be with her, and demanded she leave her husband.
  • After that attack, Mr. Gomes was found guilty of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon and assault with attempt to murder. He was sentenced to 2½ years in prison, but was released from the Bristol County House of Correction on July 28, after serving 19 months."

Yes I agree he should have never gotten out after only serving 19 months, in fact, that 2 1/2 year sentence looks short to me.

His mother had been charged, had the charges dropped, paid a fine for threatening Ms. Mendes. I still can't figure out how he got her over to his Mother's house. It doesn't seem as if she would just go over there, considering her history with Gomes and his mother.

I too, am wondering about the mother/son dynamics in this case.. very strange..

Yes, I agree. Putting makeup on both victims. I read that his ex GF was 13 yrs his senior. Not that it means anything.

Okay this explains the reason why I couldn't figure out how she got to the Mother's apt.

"Police arrested a city man late Tuesday night and charged him with two counts of murder and one count of kidnapping in the deaths of two women in a South End apartment".

http://www.southcoasttoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090107/NEWS/901070351/-1/NEWSMAP

Other insights as to how the one of the victims was found in the Mother of the offender's house:

http://www.southcoasttoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090109/NEWS/901090336/-1/NEWSMAP

and...

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2009/01/09/slain_woman_was_too_afraid_to_aid_prosecution_family_says/

Okay this explains the reason why I couldn't figure out how she got to the Mother's apt.

"Police arrested a city man late Tuesday night and charged him with two counts of murder and one count of kidnapping in the deaths of two women in a South End apartment".

http://www.southcoasttoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090107/NEWS/901070351/-1/NEWSMAP

Other insights as to how the one of the victims was found in the Mother of the offender's house:

http://www.southcoasttoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090109/NEWS/901090336/-1/NEWSMAP

and...

http://www.boston.com/news/local/ma...as_too_afraid_to_aid_prosecution_family_says/

The poor woman had battered women's syndrome :(

"
NEW BEDFORD — Gary A. Gomes and his ex-girlfriend communicated with each other by mail and telephone during and after the jail sentence he served for assaulting her in 2006, said friends of the two women murdered this week in a South End triple-decker.
Even after having been threatened at knifepoint and dragged into the woods and choked, Robyn Mendes still had feelings for Mr. Gomes, and spent time with him in the days leading up to her death, said Kevin Cournoyer, a close friend of Ms. Mendes.
"They would meet at Shaw's and take the bus together after to her place," said Mr. Cournoyer, who said he often received letters at his apartment that Mr. Gomes had written to Ms. Mendes from jail. She would later pick them up, he said.
"I told her, 'How could you ever want to be with someone who could try to kill you?'" Mr. Cournoyer said.
"She decided not to believe that she deserved better."

Not necessarily. Kidnapping could just mean he wouldn't let her leave, once she got there, or he restrained her in some way.

It looks like the kidnapping charge was for holding Robyn Mendes' 12 year old daughter hostage. Thank God he didn't kill her too...

What in the world is wrong with the judicial system? This guy got....

Mr. Gomes, who was held and later sentenced to serve nine months of a 2½-year sentence for assault and battery with a dangerous weapon.

And then later he served 11 months of the same length sentence.

If they would make these abusers serve their whole sentence maybe they would learn something. It just irks me that he only served 9 months out of a sentence that long. And then he only served 11 months.

Doesn't the judicial system even consider the female??????

I hope he doesn't get off easy after murdering two people :mad:

BobbisAngel, i agree, if he had a stiff sentence the first times he wouldn't have gotten out to commit more crimes. Sometimes i think the courts need to make stricter rules in cases where the battered woman has battered woman's syndrome also. It's almost like a disorder where they can't help themselves. A vicious cycle, and if in certain cases where it is identified a woman has battered women's syndrome, i think the court should step in to prevent further violence, for the safety of the woman.

"NEW BEDFORD - Her family had pleaded with her to prosecute. Robyn Lague Mendes had been beaten by her boyfriend before, but still, when he finally appeared in court in 2006, she would not pursue the attempted murder case against him.
Mendes was scared, family members assumed. They said the boyfriend, Gary A. Gomes, had told her she could never leave him.
On Sunday, six months after he was released from a short jail sentence that he negotiated with prosecutors, Gomes allegedly killed his former girlfriend in his mother's apartment. It was a day after he allegedly killed his mother, Katherine Gomes, 61. Both women were stabbed to death."
http://www.boston.com/news/local/ma...as_too_afraid_to_aid_prosecution_family_says/

This is why i believe the courts need to step in when women have battered women's syndrome. They need counseling and reassurance to know that the creep can't hurt them anymore. This poor woman was afraid to prosecute Gomes the first time in 2006. I think the state should take over and automatically prosecute the offender in these cases, so that battered women don't have to.

"
The relationship quickly turned violent. Twice, Gomes was charged with beating her, for allegedly dragging her into the woods and trying to strangle her. She had restraining orders against him in 2005 and 2006.
Family members were concerned about the relationship. The sister said Mendes did not attend their father's funeral three years ago. She said Robyn had told her that Gomes had kept her captive.
But when prosecutors levied attempted murder charges against him in 2006, the case fell through. Mendes, though she had testified at dangerousness hearings, refused to proceed with the case, according to family members and a former prosecutor."

It looks like the kidnapping charge was for holding Robyn Mendes' 12 year old daughter hostage. Thank God he didn't kill her too...

Thanks Larkin, I didn't even consider that as the kidnapping charge. You are correct. You all are teaching me so much in how to look at these crimes.

Fitzgerald is requesting "electronic information" from cell phones, computers etc. which he feels will shed new light on the investigation. Perhaps he thinks that Ms. Mendes and Mrs. Gomes asked to be murdered? Or maybe Ms. Mendes and Mrs. Gomes were having a makeup party and stabbed each other. I know he's doing his job as a defense attorney, but honest to God, give me a break.

From February 2012:

http://www.newbedford360.com/articl...y-Gomes-Sentenced-in-2009-Killings/Page1.html

At a status hearing last Thursday, Mr. Gomes decided to plead guilty to the first degree murder of Robyn Mendes and to manslaughter for the killing of Katherine Gomes...

Judge Macdonald formally sentenced Mr. Gomes to life in prison without the possibility of parole for the murder of Robyn Mendes. The judge also sentenced Mr. Gomes to 18 to 20 years in State Prison on the manslaughter charge for the killing of Katherine Gomes.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrsrb10
Back