WV WV - Nellie Rand, 39, & Ray Bailey, 50, Beckley, 4 Nov 1947

imamaze

Former Member
Reaction score
Moved from LTWH to here for discussion, originally posted by: msmikey

1947 Cold case: Nell Rand & E.Ray Bailey in Beckley,wv
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.karisable.com/crunsnrand.htm

It just may have been the perfect murder, or maybe the perfect cover up. That is how it seemed over fifty years ago, on that chilly night in 1947, on lovers lane, behind a fashionable country club, in the prosperous Appalachian town of Beckley, in Southern West Virginia.

That article is remarkable for the lack of details about the case itself :(

I agree, there aren't many details. I came across that article several years ago on karisable's website. I have searched a couple times since and cannot find one other article about it. There are a few websites that have copied the same article but there is just no other info out there on this crime. I did a search at newspapersarchives.com and found one article from 1955 that brought it up just to compare it with a few other crimes that occured on the same date. I would love to read more about this crime but I just can't find anything else on it.

Hi all,
I am the one who wrote and submitted this story to Kari sometime back, At the time of that writing little was known of the case. Since then I have done more reseach on this case. I have several pdf files of old newspaper articles on this case. I would be happy to send them to whomever wants them. Just Pm me with your email addy and i will send them.

I really need to update that story with the new research i have found but, I just haven't gotten around to it as of yet.

There is an article in the book "West Virginia Cold Case Homicides" about the Rand/Bailey murder by George Bragg. The two lovers were meeting behind Black Knight Country Club. It was a popular lovers lane.

Her husband was a dentist in Beckley. Nellie Rand's excuse for being out that evening was to attend an 8 p.m. shower on Anne Street. Mr. Bailey's excuse for going out that night was to finish some work at his Beckley Hardware Office.

Dr. Rand attended a Lion's Club meeting from 6-8 p.m. He told investigators later he had gone to the Lyric Threatre to see a movie. He regularly saw a movie on Tuesday night. When Mrs. Rand had not arrived by 11:30 p.m. (where she had agreed to pick him up), he caught a ride home with a neighbor lady.

When she had not arrived home by 12:30 a.m. he began making phone calls to locate her. His wife had admitted a few months earlier that she was having an affair with Mr. Bailey but said she had broken it off. The next morning he called Beckley Hardware to confront Mr. Bailey about his missing wife-Mr. Bailey had not reported for work either.

Mr. Rand admitted to police that he had known of the affair earlier but believed it was over. Police could not confirm by any witnesses that he had attended the movie from 9:00-11:00; however the neighbor said he was calm and normal when she drove him home. Mrs. Bailey was home with her daughter and did not drive.

Mrs. Rand's diamond rings and the bridal shower gifts have never been found.

Was the book ever published that was supposed to have come out in 2003? Would love to find a copy.

I have several pdf files that I have collected on this case. Anyone who wants them pm me and i'll email them to you. Attached is first 3 pdfs

There was a black man who confessed to the crime, But his confession didn't match up with the facts his name was James Richardson of Orchard.

He was released on nov 24 1947 due to insuffcient evidence.

Mr Tabscott passed away sometime ago and so the book was never published.

Attachments

• nell pt 1.pdf
    666.3 KB · Views: 45
  • nell pt2.pdf
    986.4 KB · Views: 43
  • kenneth rand.pdf
    404.2 KB · Views: 27
Interesting. Thanks for posting the files. Wish someone would finish the book and have it published.

According to this newspaper report, Mrs. Rand's jewerly was still on her. But Mrs. Bailey was sure Mr. Bailey had around $400 on him, and Mrs. Rand's two diamond rings were missing (George Bragg's book).

Seems she got around, could have been a mad lover? Since nothing else occurred during that period of time, I believe Mrs. Rand/Mr. Bailey was killed by someone who knew them and perhaps were angry with them. Otherwise, I think the killer would have struck again.

I wonder if Dr. Rand ever married again?

I have several pdf files that I have collected on this case. Anyone who wants them pm me and i'll email them to you. Attached is first 3 pdfs

There was a black man who confessed to the crime, But his confession didn't match up with the facts his name was James Richardson of Orchard.

He was released on nov 24 1947 due to insuffcient evidence.

Mr Tabscott passed away sometime ago and so the book was never published.

Thanks for posting these 3. I tried to PM you but there wasn't a button to click next to your name so I e-mailed you and gave you my e-mail addy and asked you to send me any other files you have on the case. Thanks.

Interesting. Thanks for posting the files. Wish someone would finish the book and have it published.

According to this newspaper report, Mrs. Rand's jewerly was still on her. But Mrs. Bailey was sure Mr. Bailey had around $400 on him, and Mrs. Rand's two diamond rings were missing (George Bragg's book).

Seems she got around, could have been a mad lover? Since nothing else occurred during that period of time, I believe Mrs. Rand/Mr. Bailey was killed by someone who knew them and perhaps were angry with them. Otherwise, I think the killer would have struck again.

I wonder if Dr. Rand ever married again?
I also do Geanealogy and found this Ob for Kenneth Rand on ancestry.com

Dr. Kenneth K. Rand

Dr. Kenneth K. Rand, 101, of Beckley, died Tuesday evening, Nov. 8, 2005, at his residence of natural causes.

Born Dec. 18, 1903, at Cottageville, he was the son of the late Austin Clark and Lula Davis Rand.

Dr. Rand was a graduate of Ravenswood High School, Ohio College of Dental Surgery and a 1927 graduate of the University of Louisville Dental College. While in dental college he was inducted into the Psi Omega dental fraternity. He practiced dentistry in Coalwood and Coretta in McDowell County, moved his dental practice to Beckley in 1932, retiring in 1968 with the exception of two years served during the Korean War. He entered the U.S. Navy with the rank of lieutenant commander and before his discharge he was promoted to the rank of captain.

Dr. Rand was a member and ordained deacon of First Baptist Church of Beckley, member of the Baraca Sunday School Class, active member of the Gideon Bible Program and was one of the founders of the Flat Top Lake Association.

He was a member of Black Knight Country Club, Elks and Moose Lodge, Lions Club and New River Dental Society, where he served as president for one term, and was a lifelong member of the American Dental Association.

Dr. Rand married Nell Combs in 1947 and they had two daughters, Kyra and Carolyn, before Nell preceded him in death in 1953. He later married Pauline Carter. In addition to his first wife, he was preceded in death by a brother, Ernest D. Rand of Sistersville.

Surviving are his wife, Pauline Carter Rand; his daughters, Kyra Rand Pease and her husband, Donn, of Arizona and Carolyn Rand Boggs of California; a stepdaughter, Peggy Holliday of Beckley; stepson, Jerry Carter of Beckley; several grandchildren and great-grandchildren.

Service will be 2 p.m. Saturday at Calfee Funeral Home Chapel, Beckley, with the Rev. Gary Johnson officiating, with a eulogy given by Earl Whitener. Entombment will follow in Sunset Memorial Park Mausoleum A, Beckley.

Friends may call noon until time of service Saturday at the funeral home.

Pallbearers will be Donn Pease, Alan, Alan Jay and Michael Holliday, James Floyd and Robert Burns.

Memorial contributions may be made to Gideon?s, c/o A.K. Walker, 517 Orchard Ave., Beckley, WV 25801.

Arrangements by Calfee Funeral Home, Beckley.

Obviously someone is off on the dates, thou.

Thanks for posting these 3. I tried to PM you but there wasn't a button to click next to your name so I e-mailed you and gave you my e-mail addy and asked you to send me any other files you have on the case. Thanks.
Just gt your email, will send them out in a few minutes.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back