CANADA CANADA - Katherine Wilson, 12, Kirland Lake, ON, 20 October 1970 *B. Manion guilty*

MeoW333

Reaction score
"It appears to have been a botched small-town police investigation that led the Ontario Provincial Police to first reopen - and then charge someone in - the case of a little girl's mysterious disappearance 38 years ago. Earlier this week in London, Ont., OPP detectives arrested and charged Barry Vincent Manion with the first-degree murder and abduction of 12-year-old Katherine May Wilson, known as Kathy to her family, of Kirkland Lake in Northern Ontario.
Now 60, Mr. Manion is slated to appear in court today in nearby Haileybury."
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20090109.COUSIN09/TPStory/Comment

"KIRKLAND LAKE, Ont. -- On a warm October night in 1970, a northern Ontario girl went missing after a trip to the local store and post office. Katherine Wilson, 12, was never seen again after that night in Kirkland Lake, a gold mining town of about 8,500.
On Wednesday, Ontario Provincial Police from Kirkland Lake charged a 60- year-old London, Ont., man, Barry Manion, with first-degree murder in the girl's disappearance.
Manion, due in court in nearby Haileybury on Friday, is also charged with abducting a person under 14 years.
Little was immediately known about the London man, but police expected to have more to say on the case today.
Father to face sentencing circle over girls' deaths."
http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=1378533

Wasn't sure if this was in cold cases or not, i did a search and couldn't come up with anything for "Katherine Wilson".
I'm glad they were able to catch her killer, especially with 38 years that had passed. :behindbar

They reopened the case in 2006, so I am not sure if the reqard money would be claimed.

I am just very glad that after all this time, the family will have justice for this little girl.

Her mother and family never lost hope that someone would be charged and arrested with the crime.

Now hopefully the criminal may be able to tell the family where her body is so they can give her a proper funeral.

But after all this time, I am hoping that she can be found.

Great work on behalf of the OPP, this is great news to start the new year with.

http://www.timminspress.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=1477845

Sentenced to life in prison for a nearly 40-year-old child murder three days ago, a London man was found hanged in his cell at a provincial jail early Friday.

Barry Manion, 61, had pleaded guilty Wednesday to second-degree murder in the 1970 slaying of 12-year-old Katherine May Wilson on the outskirts of Kirkland Lake.

ONTARIO COLD CASE: Conviction registered but child's body still missing
Despite the guilty verdict in this case, Leppert said the case still remains open, as Kathy’s remains have never been found.

“We aren’t continuing to investigate because we have a guilty verdict,” said Leppert. “The likelihood is all but nil that we will find remains based on the evidence we have. But if we were to be presented with good evidence we would follow-up on that. But we believe we did an exhaustive search. Barry’s memory had faded somewhat with time, the area had been logged with heavy equipment and the road had been moved where he had committed the murder.”

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VT_Squire
Back