1111 users online (270 members and 841 guests)  

Websleuths News

Thumbs up George the lobster gets new lease on life at 140

NEW YORK A new lease on life at 140? That's what a Manhattan lobster got Friday, when the 20-pound crustacean named George was released from a swanky Park Avenue restaurant's tank. City Crab and Seafood agreed to a request from People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals to let the lobster return to the Atlantic Ocean.

"We applaud the folks at City Crab and Seafood for their compassionate decision to allow this noble old-timer to live out his days in freedom and peace," said PETA President Ingrid E. Newkirk.

Some scientists estimate lobsters can live to be more than 100 years old. PETA and the restaurant gauged George's age at about 140, using a rule of thumb based on the creature's weight.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090110/ap_on_fe_st/odd_liberated_lobster;_ylt=An11QhPC.iVzD488wonPgTW s0NUE

Follow me on the Twitter! @EricDiesel1972

Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

Congratulations George!

That's such a cute story! While i do eat lobster, if George or other lobsters live to be 100 years or more, they should be released. They've seen so much during their lifetimes..

Neat story. Wasn't there a news story several years ago about another really large lobster being released? I forget the weight but recall reading the size would make it very difficult to cook thoroughly without it being too tough.

Enjoy the rest of your years George!

Quote Originally Posted by Cubby View Post
    Neat story. Wasn't there a news story several years ago about another really large lobster being released? I forget the weight but recall reading the size would make it very difficult to cook thoroughly without it being too tough.

Enjoy the rest of your years George!
    My wife and I were talking about this this morning. That one died during transport if I remember right. I'm glad they're giving this ole guy another chance.

Awww. Good for George! I know someone who had a grocery store (Central Market) hand over a lobster estimated at 80 years old. Same deal, it was Christmas/New Years and they had it in a tank for a really "special" occasion for someone. Of couse, big 'ole lobsters are tough so they should never be offered up as food for humans. Or cooked alive.

Anyway, PETA was instrumental with live animal packaging instructions for the lobster. He/She was picked up by FedEx and shipped from Texas to Maine and released into the ocean by a PETA volunteer.