What brought you to this case?

GetSmart

Reaction score
It seems there are certain cases that awaken something in each of us. I myself have shed many tears as a member here at Websleuths. The first case that would not turn loose of my heart was Jessica Lunsford. Every nite as I laid in my bed trying to fall asleep I keep repeating over and over Jessica honey where can you be? God please help her family find her...

Then I opened Websleuths on a June 9, 2008 and my world changed.
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65845
A thread was started by our member Seriously Searching
Two Oklahoma Girls (11 & 13yo) Found Murdered
They are reporting this on our local news and LE is still working the scene. It happened near the town of Weleetka, OK on a desolate county road around 5:30 pm on Sunday.

The two young friends had gone for a walk while waiting on one girl's mother to pick her up from a sleep-over. When they didn't return, a relative (reportedly the father) found them both shot on the side of the road about a quarter of a mile from their house. The scene was reported as being "grisly". OSBI and the Okfuskee County Sheriff's Dept. are trying to piece together any evidence at the scene.

These 2 girls and their story became a part of my life that day. Knowing this could happen to any of us ..these girls were daughters, sisters, nieces and granddaughters..they were so easily made a victim to an unjust murder..the familiar feeling of 2 best friends with all their hopes and dreams going for a walk.. possibly talking about "cute boys' or their favorite TV show or making plans for their summer.. their lives were tragically wiped off the face of this earth in a heart beat. Nothing was ever going to be the same in so many other peoples lives because of this horrific day and act of some monster feeding upon taking 2 precious innocent girls.

My heart and soul was touched by this loss more than you will know.. and I soon began to discover their were others like me out there. So many people that were strangers that these 2 angels brought together.

So long story short I was wondering if anyone else would care to share their story about what drew them to this case that has had National coverage and has also been lost amongst other stories out there.

I first heard about the case on one of the Crime boards I go to. May have been here, may have been somewhere else.
What keeps me coming back is the near complete mystery surrounding their murder. We know that they were shot with 2 guns multiple times, one a .40 cal and the other, likely, a .22. We know some other things as well, but nothing that really tells us who did this or why. In many unsolved murders, we can figure out why or likely who, but not here. Many have theories, but that's all. It's so perplexing. There's nothing to really focus on.

GS, thanks for starting this thread.

The reason I was drawn to this case actually started back in 2000, with the unexpected passing of my fiancee at a young age. It was that event that triggered an intense emotional response whenever I heard about someone being taken before they'd had a chance to live their lives. Then, in 2004, I watched in horror as Carlie Brucia was abducted from behind a car wash in Sarasota, FL, an event that was captured on surveillance video and broadcast on television worldwide. She would later be raped and murdered. Fast forward to 2008, and I hear the story on the news about the two best friends in Oklahoma who were doing nothing other than walking down the road, probably talking, laughing, just being best friends, and someone decided to take their lives. My fiancee was taken for a reason (an inherited medical condition). Carlie, Taylor, and Skyla weren't. It's still impossible for me to wrap my mind around the kind of deranged insensitivity to human life that one would have to possess to do such a thing. The overwhelming senselessness and heinousness of these murders had immediately captured my attention, and the idea that it's no longer safe for kids to hang out with their best friends and take a walk on a beautiful Sunday evening has invoked a deep sense of realization that no matter how much I deny it subconsciously, the kind of evil necessary to do such a thing is really out there in the world. Taylor and Skyla have touched my heart to a level I never thought possible, considering I never knew them. Add to that the unthinkable fact that it has been more than 7 months since this tragic event, and those responsible have yet to be caught (not to mention the fact that we have so little information to go on). Up in my neck of the woods, routine searches on local news sites reveal absolutely nothing relating to this case since June 12. I'm sure there are people around here (and the rest of the country) who have all but forgotten about this case (due, in large part, to the lack of media coverage), but the families, friends, and residents of Weleetka haven't. And neither have I. This case and these girls will always be a part of me, and I want nothing more than justice to be served for them.

Cheers,
KP

What drew me to this case initially was the national exposure that sometimes comes to such events. Almost immediately, it disappeared. At first, the case seemed to have elements that would keep keep the media focused for quite some time. As the news stories dried up fairly quickly, my curiosity increased. It became painfully obvious that something was very wrong there.

With no media coverage of any substance, sites like this became the only sources of information. There were so many others who sought justice, here and elsewhere on the net, for the two girls. And since early September, it seems that these forums are the only places where people are still seeking it.

In addition to OSBI, the media has dropped the ball as well. It seems that they are not interested in pursuing justice there. They were told in the beginning to, in effect, go home and keep this under your hats. So they did. There is nothing wrong with that...for a while. But, after seven months of zero production, isn't it time to start asking questions out loud and on the air?

Forget the national media. They'll never go there again. There's not a four-star hotel or exotic coffee or upscale shopping for hours in any direction, and some of that would be over dirt roads. They need the victims' families to be beautiful, camera-friendly people. Besides, they're trying to set a record for most reporters per square foot in Orlando these days.

But the OK media - where are you? Whose side are you on? Get back in there and try to help! OSBI has a Media Spokesperson. Can't someone get a telephone interview, and not back down when she says the same standard nonsense?

To stay on-topic, that's what attracted me to follow the case, sign up and speak out. Some members think that LE and the media occasionally scan these forums. Good. One needs to turn up the heat, the other needs to solve the case.

Very well said, XPA Magnet! The media and OSBI certainly have dropped the ball.

It's hard to say what drew me to this case. Of course, the brutal, unforgivable murders of these two precious little girls caught my attention. I first read about them on Websleuths, because I don't watch TV. There are other equally vile murders, but after they arrested Casey and found Caylee's body, I moved on. I want the media to move on, too. Enough about the Anthonys!!!! We want justice for Skyla and Taylor, too! These murders are just as strange and senseless! (It's no wonder I don't watch TV anymore.)

Taylor and Skyla were walking and enjoying the late afternoon of a beautiful summer day. The locals said the temperature was perfect, not too hot or too cold. That had the beauty of that day and of this earth ripped away from them in a matter of heartbeats. How dare the killers do that. How dare they take away those precious lives, lives of promise! How many crimes might Taylor have helped to solve, if she had become a forensic scientist? How many precious pets might Skyla have helped, if she had become a vet? We'll never know.

You who did this! You took away your own future as well. Whether you feel remorse or not, you really have no life. When you killed those girls, you ended any promise you had of a bright future as well. If you are not brought to justice, you will always live in the shadows. You will always be looking over your shoulder. You will always have to guard what you say. You have no life...

Having grown up in small town Oklahoma, I have taken many Sunday afternoon walks with my best friend while enjoying the beautiful early June weather. This tragedy occurred in my back yard (less than an hour away). Upon first hearing the news I was absolutely dumbfounded by the senselessness of it. Prior to hearing the autopsy results, I had to assume it was just some horrific accident or something that could and would be explained away in short time.

Once I heard these little girls were shot 13 times - I had to accept the reality that these murders were committed by atrocious and evil beings. I hungered for updates on these murders; unfortunately, the news stopped almost as abruptly as it began. I started posting for the first time in my life on a forum. I read and re-read every post hoping to learn just a little more and try to find just a tiny bit of understanding of what must have happened that horrible day.

Sadly, months later and we know nothing more than we did on June 8. We have fragments of information, lots of speculation and theories - but, nothing makes sense.

Rest in peace little Skyla and Taylor. We will continue asking questions and seeking the truth until justice comes for you and your families.​

I wanted to stay updated on the progression of this case.Not a day goes by that I don't think about the girls.Everytime I visit the WS website,I think to myself...maybe today is the day I will read that the killer/s have been caught.

Because of the two children, of course, because of the lives which will be unlived and the lessons untaught and the proms unattended and the boyfriends unkissed, and of the sheer and utter waste of these lives, of these children, of their promise. But as well because of the foreboding I first had, not long after reading of this case, that these crimes could well go unsolved, and because of knowing that rural life in our state is subject to a certain and very real kind of darkness, which has, and can, and does, make it more expedient for the status quo to maintain appearances and thus to ignore realities, no matter how horrific the consequences.

Being in Australia, I'd never heard of this case until I started reading the WS forums earlier this year. I follow many different cases, but none of them captured my attention quite like this one. It is not only the completely horrific and violent way in which these innocent girls met their end that disturbs me, it is also the fact that LE are truly no closer to solving this case than on day one. The fact that the families and friends of these two children may never get the closure they so truly deserve, horrifies and upsets me. I hope that one day justice will be served.

Lady D - that was such a nice post and I hope you continue to share your thoughts with us here.

We welcome you and your posts. :blowkiss:

i too live in oklahoma, and sure its not uncommon to go walking around with your friend..what grips me is this is such a little town..and from what i understand where they were shot/found is very off the beaten path, HAD to been someone local/famliar w/ the area...(i suspected they walked across something they shouldnt have, a clandestine meth lab/operation, perhaps?)SURELY someone has to slip up and say something, or worse brag(getting away with not one, but two murders)! i too wonder what ok law enforcemnt is doing? i can understand keeping info under your hat, for a little bit, but too much time has passed already.

As odd as it may sound I had not heard of this case before today (I'm mainly interested in cold cases and rarely venture in other forums) but now that it appears to have been a random act I am definitely interested. Mainly because such cases are extremely rare, thank God, and the behavior is not well understood. In order to fight evil one has to know it.

As odd as it may sound I had not heard of this case before today (I'm mainly interested in cold cases and rarely venture in other forums) but now that it appears to have been a random act I am definitely interested. Mainly because such cases are extremely rare, thank God, and the behavior is not well understood. In order to fight evil one has to know it.

That's not odd to me, KarlK. I was reading a thread earlier today and it had tons of cases I've never read about yet.

Back to the OP - I have a child, so this case made me incredibly sad. Two young girls taking a walk in the country and then they're gone?
Almost 2 & 1/2 years later, its still unsolved. I hope that it will solved someday.

My husband and I lived a stone's throw from Weleetka for 4 years and in Oklahoma for decades. Everyone knows everyone's business in the area of Weleetka (and in all small OK towns). The locals have to know who are the monsters that killed these little girls. It is very disturbing that there isn't enough evidence to put them on death row. It is equally disturbing that the OSBI isn't releasing what info that they do possess in an attempt to get enough additional info to put these monsters on trial.

I have lived in Oklahoma most of my life. I grew up in Southern Oklahoma, and have walked some country roads with my friends at that age. I find it more than disturbing that our children are no longer safe anywhere anymore. We need justice for these girls, NOW!!!

I still care, and GetSmart...the words you wrote above, is the same how I feel. We said we would all never forget. Let's not.

I have lived in Oklahoma most of my life. I grew up in Southern Oklahoma, and have walked some country roads with my friends at that age. I find it more than disturbing that our children are no longer safe anywhere anymore. We need justice for these girls, NOW!!!

I agree. That was my hometown. Well, Henryetta. The girls didnt come from Weleetka, but the address of Taylor's family was Weleetka cuz of the closest post office, however, everyone went nearer to Henryetta as there is no business to speak of in Weleetka... and even less now.

But I DID play on the roads nearby. And this feeling is still tearing me up. I cant even find words, but many tears still fall about this. But knowing the girls are with Jesus, is a bit that helps. There is no tears in Heaven. They are still playing there.

And now, another murder has happened.... and there seems to be a connection with a gun. OSBI is still working on this. We havent forgotten these precious girls. My heart weeps for them every time I think about them. So does everyone else. I want answers.
This killing has changed my life more than I can speak. It has shown me how much darkness is about in the world. Darkness, where we dont even think they are. I am really praying to God everyday, to keep us all safe, and I pray so that I wont live in fear.

Not sure what drew me to this case. Just the total and utter senselessness of it I guess. I always had gotten the feeling it was someone or someones that just drove by, saw the girls, said "no one is around, what the hell." Horrific.

I think now we can see that OSBI hadn't dropped the ball, they were working very hard on the case. I hope to God they have got their man now. Whoever would do this, wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail
Back