Rottweiler kills 4-year-old boy

rotties are usually pussycats with their family. how sad for this family :(

Why do people leave young children alone and unsupervised with dogs? I just don't understand:confused:

This is so sad. :( Years ago we had a medium to large dog (mutt) that was great with our kids but really gave them a hard time when they were in the backyard with him. I think it was a territorial thing and I agree with your supervision comment, Linda7NJ.

WTH!!!
That article mentioned NOTHING about the poor boy or the whys/how it happened. Just the damn dog. I used to have one of those Rots, too...years ago. Still....... I would never have turned my back on it....that was before I had a child. Big dogs, and small children NEVER mix.:mad:

We have a Rottie, she is pictured here. We got her from the pound at one year old (previous owner bred her on her first heat, and then got rid of her), and she had obviously still been nursing.

We took her home and she glommed (sp?) onto our then 3-year old son. He is her puppy - watch out, don't get between her and my son! And she LOVES our cats.

I believe it is all in the raising, regardless of the dog breed. She has been a very much loved member of our family for seven+ years and has never so much as growled at anyone.

With all that said, my heart and prayers go out to this family.

We have a Rottie, she is pictured here. We got her from the pound at one year old (previous owner bred her on her first heat, and then got rid of her), and she had obviously still been nursing.

We took her home and she glommed (sp?) onto our then 3-year old son. He is her puppy - watch out, don't get between her and my son! And she LOVES our cats.

I believe it is all in the raising, regardless of the dog breed. She has been a very much loved member of our family for seven+ years and has never so much as growled at anyone.

With all that said, my heart and prayers go out to this family.

I am sure your dog is terrific. But do you leave your son alone and unsupervised in the backyard with the dog?

I feel the same as you do about my dogs. I have two dobermans and a son. When my child was younger I NEVER would leave him alone in the backyard with them.

I can't tell you how many times I've witnessed people smack their dogs and correct them for growling and trying to defend themselves from an ear, tail, or hair pulling toddler. It makes me sick. How about teaching your children how to interact appropriately? What happens when your little darling walks up and yanks on the tail of a strangers dog?

I agree, young children shouldn't be left unsupervised with any dog (no matter what size). I have the sweetest little German Shephered mix but I would never leave him in a room (even if I were in the next) or especially in the backyard with a child. My neice was bitten in the face by a small terrier so size doesn't necessarily make a dog more or less agressive.

The article doesn't say whether the little boy was surpervised or unsupervised. I think he was out there alone with the dog. If he hadn't been it's possible someone could have helped him before he was hurt so badly. Possibly the dog was out there as a babysitter.

No matter how it happened, it's sad to think something so horrible happened to this little guy.

Ya'll are really going to think I'm over protective, but I will not leave my 6 month old granddaughter alone in a room with my peek-a-poo dog, who weighs only 13 lbs. I've read too many stories about children being injured or killed.

I also had another peek-a-poo before this one and a pitt bull dog killed it in our own back yard. It jumped the fence.

I gots a lovable rott-monster-mix too who is just like a big ole teddy bear, but no, I would not leave him alone with a small child. Even tho I would bet the farm on nothing happening, you just can NEVER get into the mind of a dog and be 100% sure of what makes them tick.

Linda, I too thinks it's of the utmost importance to teach a child how to interact with a dog, although Pete (pictured above, napping in our bed - fierce monster that he is) once growled at a child across the street when looking out of the window and you can bet your boots that I tried to correct him. When he comes face-face with anyone it's just a giant lick-fest.

My parents have a small ****zu mix dog and I hate that dog. He is so territorial that when I lean down to kiss my parents hello or goodbye he barks his stinking head off at me. Then my brother ,who lives with my parents, has a rott that is about 8 months old. HUGE dog. My kids are terrified of him (they are 4 and 6) and so when we go over I call ahead to have them put the dog up or dog door up. I have heard to many horror stories just like this. Now this dog was a FAMILY PET, so this dog was around this child and still did this. Sorry but there are some breeds that I absolutely will not let my kids around and this is one of them. We had a bassett and he was wonderful with the kids. Poor dog would be sat on and they would lay on him or walk on his poor ears. When we moved to had to find him another home and luckily he went to a family who had just lost one of their 2 bassetts and he is now in love. I just think some breeds should never be elft alone or trusted with a child. My children are much more important to me than any dog.

I have a friend with a mastiff and a chihuahua (sp). I would rather be in the room with the mastiff any day. As a matter of fact her cat had kittens and the chihuahua attacked one of the kittens causing it to have to have it's tail amputated. I personally think small dogs are more aggressive, they can just do less damage.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BeachyTee
Back