FL - Ky. couple found dead of CO poisoning at I-95 rest area

Beyond Belief

Reaction score
ST. AUGUSTINE, Fla. (AP) -- Investigators in north Florida are trying to solve the mystery of a young Kentucky couple found dead at an Interstate 95 rest area.
The St. Johns County Sheriff's Office says 23-year-old Kenneth L. Oldham of Morehead, Ky., and 22-year-old Kayla R. Hinton of Olive Hill, Ky., were found dead Wednesday inside their car.
Sheriff's spokesman Sgt. Chuck Mulligan says family members did not know why the couple was in Florida.
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/F/FL_REST_AREA_BODIES_FLOL-?SITE=FLTAM&SECTION=US

That is sad but their family didn't know they were in Florida? Seems a little hinky. How do you die from fumes if the exhaust pipe isn't put inside the car?

A bad exhaust can do it if the car is idling. Temps at nite were freezing or close to it

There could have been a defect in the car. I know when I was little my parents had bought a second hand car. We all got carbon monoxide poising because there was a hole somewhere in the car that was allowing the fumes to go into the car. If they were idling to stay warm while they slept it could have happened that way.

There could have been a defect in the car. I know when I was little my parents had bought a second hand car. We all got carbon monoxide poising because there was a hole somewhere in the car that was allowing the fumes to go into the car. If they were idling to stay warm while they slept it could have happened that way.

I havent read the story yet (was on ipod last nite and tired) but if they were found in a locked car or a car that was closed and idling, it sounds like Carbon Monoxide poisoning. Usually you hear about it from people running things indoors like generators, gas powered stuff, etc. But you can get it in a car too.

That's a possibility MeoW333.

They were found at a rest area on the Northbound side of I-95 near St. Augustine. It does not say if they were North or South of St. Aug.

The drive from St. Augustine back to Morhead KY is approx. 12 and a half hours.

Medical examiner: No foul play in couple’s death

http://news.staugustine.com/news/2009/01/16/medical-examiner-no-foul-play-in-couples-death/

"Kayla R. Hinton, 22, of Olive Hill, Ky., and Kenneth L. Oldham, 23, of Morehead, Ky., were on their way home from South Florida when they apparently stopped two or three days ago to sleep at the rest area south of the State Road 206 interchange.

The exact causes of death still hadn’t been determined following Thursday’s autopsy.

However, it appeared as if they died from carbon monoxide poisoning."

That's sad. I think (at least on the interstates on my side of the state) the rest stops now all have on duty officers or staff. So there has been less crime at them.

What if it was a lovers' double suicide?

I don't see why'd they drive 12 hours away to do that.

My biggest question is what was the temperature where they were? Was it cold enough to keep the heater on?

It also bothers me that they didn't tell anyone they were going on a trip. :waitasec: :detective:

I grew up in Des Moines- many years ago there was a case where two kids died in this manner from a bad exhaust while parked. The car was then sold to another young driver and you guessed it- he and two of his friends died in the same car at a drive-in. So, it happens. Hopefully they junked that thing after.

I don't see why'd they drive 12 hours away to do that.

My biggest question is what was the temperature where they were? Was it cold enough to keep the heater on?

It also bothers me that they didn't tell anyone they were going on a trip. :waitasec: :detective:

The temperature yesterday in St Augustine Fl was a high of 57 degrees and a low of 32 degrees. The average temperature is 65 degrees this time of year.
If they didn't tell anyone they were going on a trip and they drove 12 hours away to do it, that tells me they didn't want anyone stopping them. I'm guessing this is suicide, i could never fall asleep at a rest stop with all the ruckus around me. I'd also be too nervous about other people around me and my vehicle. I've been one to push myself and drive straight trips without stopping to sleep. If i had to absolutely sleep, i'd get a hotel. It's so uncomfortable sleeping in a car. I did it once with a friend who was driving at a rest stop and only slept 2 hours. The noise, heat, woke me up. It gets hot in a parked car in the sun, even in 45 degree weather, the sun heats up the inside of a car fast.

The only other thing i can think of is if the couple were on drugs or alcohol and were partying so they just passed out like that in the car and stayed out.

The car my parents bought that was defective was a used car and I have a feeling that the previous owner knew it was defective. We think because of all the snow and salt (he was from NY) that it had rusted the muffler. My dad didn't know much about cars so it's probably something he never thought about. How that man could sell that car to a man with a wife and four little girls I don't know. Of course, maybe he didn't know. It's always a good idea to get a used car checked out before buying or even having a mechanic look at it before taking a road trip.

So sad about this couple. I know it's no conselation but they didn't suffer. Just never woke up.

They could have decided to take a jaunt down to FL where it might be warmer than KY and for the thrill of it. Sounds implausible to us, but I remember growing up in KY I knew quite a few college age kids that would do that, just to do it.

I know that sounds crazy but it's not as uncommon as we might think, given my experiences. Why did they pull over and sleep at a reststop? Maybe they didn't have money for a motel. They could have gotten some sleep, and then drove the 12 and half hours after they woke up. Then they could brag to their friends that they shot down to FL last week and gig their friends for having to stay where it was cold. Just a thought...

They could have been inhaling fumes a while and gotten groggy or disoriented. Pulled over in the closed car... and perished.

Or not...

Will have to see the final word.

Our local paper reported today that "it appeared their Volkswagen Jetta had been running when Hinton and Oldham died. The keys were in the "on" position, the gas had been drained, and the battery was dead. Both were reclined in their seats.
Investigators believe the two had been dead for a few days when a man walking his dog came across the car at about 1 pm Wednesday and thought something was amiss."

St. Augustine Record, 1/16/09.

Security personnel must have missed it. All interstate rest stops have been manned 24 hours a day in Florida since an English couple were killed in their car at a rest stop (I-10, I think) years ago.

Because of my job I take off on trips all the time and no one in my family knows I am not at home! Adults don't have to check in. :(

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back