New Website lists student absences...

As a student, that would have been my worst nightmare! I got away with playing hooky because I was a "good kid" and the teacher that delt with absences didn't believe I would play hooky, he always thought the teachers made a mistake!

However, as a parent, I think the idea is WONDERFUL! I hope they have something like that in our school district when my child gets older.

We have something similar here; it's called InTouch. I can log in and see her grades, discipline (she got one for not having her ID!! I never would have known!), health info, etc. As a parent, it's great and I love it.

As a teacher, there are always parents who call you weekly to ask why such and such a grade isn't in there, or why there haven't been grades since whatever time, etc, and it's really annoying. I don't know how the one in Austin works, but if I update my gradebook online, it doesn't automatically "roll over" to be updated in InTouch. That is done by the district at certain times.

But other than a few parents who go crazy over every little thing and who think you are spending 24/7 updating their kids' grades, I've really liked the online system.

Many schools are now using systems such as PowerSchool, LetterGrade, ProgressBook, etc., that allow students/parents to access a teacher's on-line gradebook. Usernames and passwords are issued to protect identities and no one can see anyone else's grades. As a teacher, I've loved it from the beginning!

We've got it here, too. I can check for any unexcused abscences, homework not being done, and get test scores. I can also choose to get daily updates if class averages fall below whatever I choose. I like it, and it can help keep a kid's behavior under control.

Oh we have this too. Unfortunately the teachers are no good at updating the information, so it's pretty useless.

I just got info the other day with a new website that has all the grades. My kids were less than thrilled. Can't wait to ask if they have homework and when told no check it out online! I would have hated it as a kid for sure!

Oh we have this too. Unfortunately the teachers are no good at updating the information, so it's pretty useless.

That's weird. The gradebook, even? I update that every time I grade an assignment. The other information (absences, discipline, etc.) is updated by administration. Have you checked when your district does a rollover, so the information is available to those outside the district? They do it regularly here, maybe a few times a month.

I am sure parents love it. As teachers, we can't be cemented into a time limit for processing grades. We just don't all have the time.

I am married with no children. I can make the time. What about teachers who are moms or dads with 5 kids, coaching, dance, soccer, baseball and the scouts??? What if you can't grade everything in a certain amount of time?

Our teachers union is staunchly against this. Our work hours are from 7:20 - 2:20. After 2:20, I am no longer Mrs. G, I am just me. We can't be made to do more than we currently are doing. It's bad enough we put in so many hours after school as it is planning, coming up with strategies, grading, and preparing. I am pretty good at keeping up with gradebook, but I can't imagine what it will be like when I have kids.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back