GUILTY IL - Benjamin Kingan, 16 mos, dies of head injury, Lincolnshire, 14 Jan 2009

Dobler your link sent me into a a bleak world. I read it aloud to my hubby after he begged me not too. And he cried which made me wish I had never read it to him yet at the same time,That glad I had.
If I ever become a s.s worker or a day care provider it will be because of cases like this. My hubby has lots of friends who make the big bucks leave their kids in day care even though they dont have too.
We bought a cheap house in the cheap part of town i work part time and refuse to put my kids in day care.
We have a teen who we make babysit as a part of her chores. Not always ideal but she has a vested interest.She is seventeen but it is her brother.
My Hubby and I cried for these parents who placed their loved child in the care of these people so they could provide this child the best care while they HAD to be away. We both hope she at the very least never gets out of prison/jail.No Matter how good her behavior is althou we would rather see her put to death .
We also cried for the little boy who we know only wanted to be heard.A minute of someone's time for which he never held a clue,Of one womans moment of becoming unglued.

Ive worked graveyard shifts for decades so I would be home during the day to care for our children while my wife worked.
Were divorced now but I still work those shifts so I can care for our daughter during the two hours after she gets out of school and before her Mom gets off work also there is no school here on fridays so I have her all day then.
But I too know people who dump their kids in these places even when they dont have to.Even on their days off.
Though I realize that some parents have no choice especially single ones who dont have family to help.
But after some of the horror stories Ive heard when I worked Corrections I decided none of my kids would see the inside of one of those places if there was anything I could do about it.
One too many Daycare providers Ive heard about with a clean background check but who just happens to have an Ex Con boyfriend with four L&L convictions.Sorry.

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2009/01/suburban-infant-taken-from-daycare-center-later-dies.html

"She demonstrated how she held the child under his arms and slammed him down on the linoleum floor once," Scheller said. "He rolled over, grabbed his blanket, which was in reach, and crawled to a bouncy chair and passed out."
Police said there were eight other children and another employee in the room at the time the incident happened.

This is so horrifying! :furious: What is wrong with people??!!

I can't copy links due to computer problems... but this little guys mama worked at a domestic violence shelter in Palatine, IL. How sad... helping others and this happened to her little one. Local news is requesting donations to the shelter in lieu of flowers. ( maybe someone can add the link for me please)

I don't understand how this happened. How did the second daycare teacher in the room not notice this woman was losing her patience?

I am just heartbroken over this.

Prayers to the family and friends of this little guy.

Ive worked graveyard shifts for decades so I would be home during the day to care for our children while my wife worked.
Were divorced now but I still work those shifts so I can care for our daughter during the two hours after she gets out of school and before her Mom gets off work also there is no school here on fridays so I have her all day then.
But I too know people who dump their kids in these places even when they dont have to.Even on their days off.
Though I realize that some parents have no choice especially single ones who dont have family to help.
But after some of the horror stories Ive heard when I worked Corrections I decided none of my kids would see the inside of one of those places if there was anything I could do about it.
One too many Daycare providers Ive heard about with a clean background check but who just happens to have an Ex Con boyfriend with four L&L convictions.Sorry.

I think this last sentence is unfair, Kline. I respect what you do/did for your ex wife and daughter, but to lump dcp into having a clean background and hooking up with ex cons.... is, something you just "heard" right? I'll leave it at that....

http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=265385

"The Lincolnshire day care center where a toddler died last week will be open for business Monday, an attorney for the company said."

I don't know how they can be open for business as usual, when such a terrible event happened. My heart aches for this family.

Although a tragic incident, (it was) an isolated incident," lawyer Matt Walsh said. "We will be open and transparent with any parent to answer any questions they may have and to reassure them that we have the highest standards for our facility and that the safety of their children is our highest goal."

The attorney has the nerve to call the death of this little baby boy AN INCIDENT!!!!!

There is no way in hell that I would take my child to that DayCare. They are opening on Monday? It is like they are afraid that they will miss making the money that they usually do if they don't open right up again. That doesn't show much respect for that little boy and his family. I hope no one brings their kids back there. It really isn't a safe place for children. :furious:

That 22 yr old wasn't even mad at this little boy. She was upset because some of the other kids were making noise!! Don't all little kids make noise!!
She's mad at the other kids so she slams this baby to the floor and crushes his skull. His poor parents and siblings. It is just horrible.:furious:

This happened in my area...

Interestingly enough, a friend of mine just filed a written report on some abusive behavior (verbal cruelty, yanking, etc.) of a daycare worker in a nearby suburb to where this occurred. She escalated the complaint up to the top of the chain of command, rallied the other parents, met in person with leadership, etc.

I had misgivings about her campaign against the daycare worker...I could see her point but was concerned that maybe the reaction was extreme or the woman was having a bad day....After reading about this nearby death, I think her actions were completely vindicated....You can't have a marginal daycare worker locked in a roomful of 3-year-olds...she might snap and have this as the outcome.

I think this last sentence is unfair, Kline. I respect what you do/did for your ex wife and daughter, but to lump dcp into having a clean background and hooking up with ex cons.... is, something you just "heard" right? I'll leave it at that....

But sadly it is true. There is a story a the week along these lines. DCP exposing kids to family members, boyfriends or husbands who at best have a generic criminal record, at worst are sex offenders, is common. Do I have a link? No. I'm sure we won't have to wait long for the next story though.

http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=265385

"The Lincolnshire day care center where a toddler died last week will be open for business Monday, an attorney for the company said."

I don't know how they can be open for business as usual, when such a terrible event happened. My heart aches for this family.

Why are they not shut down? I've seen daycares shut down for less.

This is interesting, not sure how it connects with the case:

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/1386866,CST-NWS-dayfam20.article

"Benjamin died Jan. 14. Two days later, Amy and Andy Kingan took Benjamin's twin sister, Emily, and 3-year-old brother, Jacob, to a pediatrician for tests to see if they carried any genetic abnormalities that could have led to Benjamin's death."

This is interesting, not sure how it connects with the case:

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/1386866,CST-NWS-dayfam20.article

"Benjamin died Jan. 14. Two days later, Amy and Andy Kingan took Benjamin's twin sister, Emily, and 3-year-old brother, Jacob, to a pediatrician for tests to see if they carried any genetic abnormalities that could have led to Benjamin's death."

The family was led to believe Benjamin died of natural causes...convinced enough to have planned a funeral for last Saturday which had to be cancelled. They did not realize the severity of the head fracture (and hence abuse) until the autopsy. The injury was not visible externally, and the daycare worker didn't confess right away.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back