Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 84

Thread: Daycare Worker Charged with Murder of Toddler

  1. #26
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Penn's woods
    Posts
    17,239
    The link says that the daycare has been closed for two reasons. I am wondering if there were other violations and incidents of children being harmed prior to the death of this young boy?
    "Three things in human life are important: The first is to be kind; the second is to be kind; and the third is to be kind." ~ Henry James

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kat For This Useful Post:


  3. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Openmind View Post
    I read this little baby took his blanket, pacifier, and cuddled up in a bouncy chair where they found him unresponsive thirty minutes later. If this "caregiver" had been honest about what she had done, could they have called 911 and possibly saved this little boy? I have known about children that suffered head trauma such as this and survived. She didn't tell anyone until she realized this baby was seriously hurt, and, even then, she didn't tell the truth and prevented him the proper intervention. She may not have meant to hurt this baby but even after what she did to him, she prevented him comfort and care. Such a coward.
    I am so sad reading this thread - and your post is so true. To think he crawled away into a bouncy with his blanket and pacifier...
    Oh that poor little one.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Chezhire For This Useful Post:


  5. #28
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Abilene, Texas
    Posts
    110
    OMG, so very sad. We are not wealthy by a long shot, but I am blessed to be able to stay at home with our children. I read this story to my DH and he kissed me and told me "thank you" for all that I do. This whole story just breaks my heart. Off to kiss the kids goodnight...again.
    Children make your life important.
    ~Erma Bombeck

  6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to disappear For This Useful Post:


  7. #29
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    State of Disbelief. SC
    Posts
    8,405
    Quote Originally Posted by Chezhire View Post
    I am so sad reading this thread - and your post is so true. To think he crawled away into a bouncy with his blanket and pacifier...
    Oh that poor little one.
    This story literally made me nauseus. That he wasn't even being held while he was dying.

    Why didn't the other worker do anything!!!! Call an ambulance, something....anything!! If he had received medical attention, he could possibly have lived.

    My prayers are with his family.
    Say what you mean, mean what you say, but don't say it mean.
    We are all just trying to make sense of an unimaginable crime.

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lovejac For This Useful Post:


  9. #30
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,593
    This story is so sad and I am grateful that my wife and I waited until we were certain we would never have to rely on daycare before we had kids.

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Broderick For This Useful Post:


  11. #31
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    589
    Oh my gosh. I will never, ever place my child in a daycare at that age. This is just breaking my heart... I am having a hard time not hating this woman.
    Love never fails.

    God gives. God takes. God's name be ever blessed. Job 1:21


  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Gray For This Useful Post:


  13. #32
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,593
    Quote Originally Posted by passionategray View Post
    Oh my gosh. I will never, ever place my child in a daycare at that age. This is just breaking my heart... I am having a hard time not hating this woman.
    I am livid about this case. It is so sad. This woman needs to spend a great deal of time in prison for her actions.

  14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Broderick For This Useful Post:


  15. #33
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    16,398
    Quote Originally Posted by Openmind View Post
    I read this little baby took his blanket, pacifier, and cuddled up in a bouncy chair where they found him unresponsive thirty minutes later. If this "caregiver" had been honest about what she had done, could they have called 911 and possibly saved this little boy? I have known about children that suffered head trauma such as this and survived. She didn't tell anyone until she realized this baby was seriously hurt, and, even then, she didn't tell the truth and prevented him the proper intervention. She may not have meant to hurt this baby but even after what she did to him, she prevented him comfort and care. Such a coward.
    It's hard to even read that sentence. I've no doubt that the worker who harmed him didn't mean to kill this child, but the end result is the same.
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to southcitymom For This Useful Post:


  17. #34
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    589
    I can't stop crying about this story. After having a miscarriage just 2 1/2 weeks ago I can't bear to think of the pain this mother is feeling. When will our society... when will people value children again? They are so precious, so perfect, so beautiful. How could anyone do such a thing?
    Love never fails.

    God gives. God takes. God's name be ever blessed. Job 1:21


  18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gray For This Useful Post:


  19. #35
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,666
    Quote Originally Posted by Broderick View Post
    This story is so sad and I am grateful that my wife and I waited until we were certain we would never have to rely on daycare before we had kids.
    I think it needs to be repeated that the mom of this boy was serving the community counseling women at the local women's shelter....no doubt providing comfort to battered and abused women. That's why he was in daycare.

    He should have been safe there. Women who make the decision to hire help don't anticipate their children dying while in care.
    Last edited by twinkiesmom; 02-03-2009 at 08:50 AM.

  20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twinkiesmom For This Useful Post:


  21. #36
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    606
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulmagent View Post
    Dobler your link sent me into a a bleak world. I read it aloud to my hubby after he begged me not too. And he cried which made me wish I had never read it to him yet at the same time,That glad I had.
    If I ever become a s.s worker or a day care provider it will be because of cases like this. My hubby has lots of friends who make the big bucks leave their kids in day care even though they dont have too.
    We bought a cheap house in the cheap part of town i work part time and refuse to put my kids in day care.
    We have a teen who we make babysit as a part of her chores. Not always ideal but she has a vested interest.She is seventeen but it is her brother.
    My Hubby and I cried for these parents who placed their loved child in the care of these people so they could provide this child the best care while they HAD to be away. We both hope she at the very least never gets out of prison/jail.No Matter how good her behavior is althou we would rather see her put to death .
    We also cried for the little boy who we know only wanted to be heard.A minute of someone's time for which he never held a clue,Of one womans moment of becoming unglued.
    This is why I stay home with my 15 month old grandbaby. I worked in early childhood education for over 20 years. I was actually fired at one place for reporting an abusive employee who had worked there far longer than I had. I had told the parents of this child what I had witnessed and never regretted it. What made me so angry is this employee would be so sickening sweet to the parents that came in, and then once the coast was clear...a different person came out. I went to supervisors, and finally, because this employee denied everything (so therefore they couldn't prove anything), went straight to the parents.
    My guess is this other person that was in the room with this worker has seen things before, and if she did report it perhaps nothing was investigated. Unfortunately now a child has died, because maybe someone was "afraid" of losing their job, or supervisors did not do their job. It is the worker's own fault, she chose to throw that poor little guy to his death, but unfortunately enabling that kind of behavior for fear of something else happening is tragic. Bless him
    Last edited by static; 02-02-2009 at 11:57 PM. Reason: sp

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to static For This Useful Post:


  23. #37
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,666
    Quote Originally Posted by static View Post
    My guess is this other person that was in the room with this worker has seen things before, and if she did report it perhaps nothing was investigated.


    It was reported in the Tribune that Melissa had a written complaint against her in the past, and the owners transfered her to a different facility in their system rather than firing her.

    And this nugget which explains why she wasn't fired:
    <<Calusinski's sister, Crystal, also works at the Lincolnshire center and helped get her transferred.>>


    http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,3036628.story
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,4483168.story

  24. The Following User Says Thank You to twinkiesmom For This Useful Post:


  25. #38
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,666
    Quote Originally Posted by Kat View Post
    The link says that the daycare has been closed for two reasons. I am wondering if there were other violations and incidents of children being harmed prior to the death of this young boy?
    If a parent files a written complaint about a worker being inept, not necessarily abusive, does that have to trigger a report to DCFS? If so, I suspect it wasn't done properly in this case.

  26. The Following User Says Thank You to twinkiesmom For This Useful Post:


  27. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiesmom View Post
    It was reported in the Tribune that Melissa had a written complaint against her in the past, and the owners transfered her to a different facility in their system rather than firing her.

    And this nugget which explains why she wasn't fired:
    <<Calusinski's sister, Crystal, also works at the Lincolnshire center and helped get her transferred.>>


    http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,3036628.story
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,4483168.story
    I hope that center pays in spades for what has happened.

  28. The Following User Says Thank You to Chezhire For This Useful Post:


  29. #40
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    108

    Daycare Worker Could Get Life In Prison

    http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=271418&src=3

    "The Lake County grand jury on Wednesday indicted Melissa M. Calusinski on 14 counts of first-degree murder and two counts of aggravated battery of a child for slamming 16-month-old Benjamin Kingon of Deerfield to the ground Jan. 14, said Assistant States Attorney Steve Scheller, chief of the felony review division. "

  30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dobler For This Useful Post:


  31. #41
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    State of Disbelief. SC
    Posts
    8,405
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiesmom View Post
    It was reported in the Tribune that Melissa had a written complaint against her in the past, and the owners transfered her to a different facility in their system rather than firing her.

    And this nugget which explains why she wasn't fired:
    <<Calusinski's sister, Crystal, also works at the Lincolnshire center and helped get her transferred.>>


    http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,3036628.story
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,4483168.story
    Well, as far as I'm concerned she has his blood on her hands, too!

    WTF, were they that hard up for employees? She should have been gone, gone, gone!!

    Could the sister face some sort of charges? IMO, she should!
    Say what you mean, mean what you say, but don't say it mean.
    We are all just trying to make sense of an unimaginable crime.

  32. The Following User Says Thank You to Lovejac For This Useful Post:


  33. #42
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    State of Disbelief. SC
    Posts
    8,405
    Quote Originally Posted by Dobler View Post
    http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=271418&src=3

    "The Lake County grand jury on Wednesday indicted Melissa M. Calusinski on 14 counts of first-degree murder and two counts of aggravated battery of a child for slamming 16-month-old Benjamin Kingon of Deerfield to the ground Jan. 14, said Assistant States Attorney Steve Scheller, chief of the felony review division. "
    can someone explain the 14 counts of first-degree murder to me?

    That made me think she had killed 14 children!!
    Say what you mean, mean what you say, but don't say it mean.
    We are all just trying to make sense of an unimaginable crime.

  34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lovejac For This Useful Post:


  35. #43
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    623
    Man... this story makes my soul hurt.

  36. The Following User Says Thank You to Issi For This Useful Post:


  37. #44
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    166
    This is just awful. That poor baby, and his poor family. I have a 15 month old baby, and a 5.5 year old, both boys, I cannot imagine what this family is going through.
    I know that all day cares are not like this, but this is one of those stories that makes me happy that I am able to stay home with my boys. Not everyone has that choice, and I am grateful that I do.

    I just can't believe that they had previous complaints and didn't deal with it properly!!

  38. The Following User Says Thank You to Razzle For This Useful Post:


  39. #45
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,666
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovejac View Post
    can someone explain the 14 counts of first-degree murder to me?

    That made me think she had killed 14 children!!
    It's the vagaries of IL law....I think we saw the same thing happen with the Vaughn case...more first degree murder charges than actual victims.

    Yikes, I could be in the jury pool for this one!

    The latest in the case (www.dailyherald.com) is the judge is maintaining the high bond ($5 million), and her folks can't get her released on their home equity.

  40. The Following User Says Thank You to twinkiesmom For This Useful Post:


  41. #46
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    166
    I too am wondering about the 14 counts. That is confusing.

  42. The Following User Says Thank You to Razzle For This Useful Post:


  43. #47
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Penn's woods
    Posts
    17,239
    I don't remember the explanation but in the C. Myers case he was charged with multiple counts of first degree murder and I think I remember reading that once it goes to trial they will be combined into one count.

    Dont' go by my word, because I'm only vague about it but I think IIRC the multiple charges are brought forth to the Grand Jury for their consideration.

    Once it goes into trial phase the charges of first degree will become one count, and IIRC it does have to do with IL law.
    "Three things in human life are important: The first is to be kind; the second is to be kind; and the third is to be kind." ~ Henry James

  44. The Following User Says Thank You to Kat For This Useful Post:


  45. #48
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    State of Disbelief. SC
    Posts
    8,405
    found this update, not much new.

    http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=273430
    Say what you mean, mean what you say, but don't say it mean.
    We are all just trying to make sense of an unimaginable crime.

  46. The Following User Says Thank You to Lovejac For This Useful Post:


  47. #49
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    16,398
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiesmom View Post
    It's the vagaries of IL law....I think we saw the same thing happen with the Vaughn case...more first degree murder charges than actual victims.

    Yikes, I could be in the jury pool for this one!

    The latest in the case (www.dailyherald.com) is the judge is maintaining the high bond ($5 million), and her folks can't get her released on their home equity.
    Yes - I recall that about the Vaughn case too, twinkiesmom.
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

  48. The Following User Says Thank You to southcitymom For This Useful Post:


  49. #50
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,666
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovejac View Post
    found this update, not much new.

    http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=273430
    Here's the latest:

    http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=274241

  50. The Following User Says Thank You to twinkiesmom For This Useful Post:


Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Baby with severe head injuries thanks to daycare worker
    By Filly in forum Crimes in the News
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-15-2008, 11:00 PM
  2. Australian Parents Charged With Murder, Torture of Toddler Twins
    By PrayersForMaura in forum Crimes in the News
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 06-24-2008, 04:18 PM
  3. Toddler Left In Daycare Van Overnight
    By Squishified in forum Crimes in the News
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-02-2007, 03:17 PM
  4. Man Posing As Utility Worker Attacks Woman, Toddler
    By mysteriew in forum Crimes in the News
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-02-2005, 04:24 AM
  5. Daycare owner's son charged in child porn case
    By Casshew in forum Crimes in the News
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-03-2005, 08:58 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •