JB and BC worked for the MDCPD at the same time.

Steely Dan

Former Member
Reaction score
JB racked up a record of winning 32 of his first 34 trials and one loss was overturned on appeal. :eek:

Given that DC, who wasn't working for JB at the time :rolleyes:, was out looking to, IMO, destroy evidence does JB's record in the MDCPD seem at all hinky?

When JB's handling of this case seems to fall under the worst lawyering I remember ever seeing it really makes me ponder what was going on back then.

It's got me doing a :waitasec:

Also, BC was working for MDCPD with overlapping time with JB it may have nothing to do with anything but supposedly DC was working for A's.

Just something that makes me go :eek:

What is MDCPD?

Miami Dade County Public Defenders.

Sorry, should have spelled that out in the first post. I'm sure you're not the only one who will have a question about that.

hey Steely...

Even if Jose Baez was shinning and shimmering ya wouldn't see it, wouldn't admit.
chuckle.gif

A lightbulb for ya...

Lightbulbbest.jpg

What kind of cases was he doing? It could have been traffic court or something like that.

JB started in 1995 and was there for at least two years and BC worked the PD office from1992 -1997. I'm not sure they were both in the same office but they were both public defense attorneys at that time.

My info comes from this site.

Baez, José – Member of Casey Anthony’s defense team. Casey's lead defense attorney. According to his website, Baez is a former criminologist who received a B.S. degree in criminology from Florida State University. He began working for the Miami-Dade County Public Defender's office in 1995 and created a reputation as a fierce advocate who fought his cases until the very end and also distinguished himself by creating a division record for the most trials where he won 32 of 34 jury trials within his first two years with the office. (Note: one of his two losses was a reversed appeal). Prior to opening his own private practice, Baez worked for Lexis-Nexis, where he taught judges, lawyers, and law students about methods of using the Internet for investigation. Baez has been involved in several high-profile cases in Florida, including the defense of Nilton Diaz, Kissimmee Mayor George Gant, and Elvira Garcia.

Conway, Brad – George and Cindy Anthony’s new lawyer (after Mark Nejame quit.) Worked at public defender's office from March 1992 through December 1997 and began private practice in December 1997, specializing in criminal defense litigation. In 2004, he was voted one of Orlando's AV (top rated) criminal defense lawyers.

JB racked up a record of winning 32 of his first 34 trials and one loss was overturned on appeal. :eek:

Given that DC, who wasn't working for JB at the time :rolleyes:, was out looking to, IMO, destroy evidence does JB's record in the MDCPD seem at all hinky?

When JB's handling of this case seems to fall under the worst lawyering I remember ever seeing it really makes me ponder what was going on back then.

It's got me doing a :waitasec:

Also, BC was working for MDCPD with overlapping time with JB it may have nothing to do with anything but supposedly DC was working for A's.

Just something that makes me go :eek:

Any idea how this compares to his record since going into private practice?

Sounds like he is a good lawyer to me. 32 of 34 wins and one loss overturned? That is an impressive record by anyone's standards.

Just because he represents the Devil's Spawn doesn't mean he is a bad guy. KC is just one case and when it is over, he will still be a practicing attorney and KC will be a convict. The only issue I have with him is that he was unable to convince her to plead to a lesser charged before the body was found. But then who can convince her of anything, she knows it all.

My info comes from this site.

Baez, José – Member of Casey Anthony’s defense team. Casey's lead defense attorney. According to his website, Baez is a former criminologist who received a B.S. degree in criminology from Florida State University. He began working for the Miami-Dade County Public Defender's office in 1995 and created a reputation as a fierce advocate who fought his cases until the very end and also distinguished himself by creating a division record for the most trials where he won 32 of 34 jury trials within his first two years with the office. (Note: one of his two losses was a reversed appeal). Prior to opening his own private practice, Baez worked for Lexis-Nexis, where he taught judges, lawyers, and law students about methods of using the Internet for investigation. Baez has been involved in several high-profile cases in Florida, including the defense of Nilton Diaz, Kissimmee Mayor George Gant, and Elvira Garcia.

Conway, Brad – George and Cindy Anthony’s new lawyer (after Mark Nejame quit.) Worked at public defender's office from March 1992 through December 1997 and began private practice in December 1997, specializing in criminal defense litigation. In 2004, he was voted one of Orlando's AV (top rated) criminal defense lawyers.
They probably provided their own background info. Even I look great on MY resume.

Sounds like he is a good lawyer to me. 32 of 34 wins and one loss overturned? That is an impressive record by anyone's standards.

Just because he represents the Devil's Spawn doesn't mean he is a bad guy. KC is just one case and when it is over, he will still be a practicing attorney and KC will be a convict. The only issue I have with him is that he was unable to convince her to plead to a lesser charged before the body was found. But then who can convince her of anything, she knows it all.

The first statement is the point of this thread. He doesn't seem good enough to have achieved that record on the up and up, IMO.

Second, I've said this before. If JB comes out of this case without being disbarred I'll be very surprised. :eek:

I am not going to weigh in on JBs personal experience or record- but the common practice in law firms is to only let new lawyers go to trial on slam-dunk cases. You aren't going to give your new lawyer anything sticky or challenging, because he or she just point blank won't have the trial experience to maneuver the evidence rules, "judge" the feeling of the judge, etc. So to make a judgment, you really have to look at each case--

If he won 32 out of 34 murder/conspiracy/etc cases where odds are the person did it, you'd give him much more credit as a defense attorney then if he got 32 traffic tickets thrown out when the officer forgot to sign the back or something like that.

Also, anything short of a conviction is considered "success" - waltuch v. conticommodity (here's a cartoon hehe- http://www.stus.com/stus-cartoon.php?name=Waltuch+v.+Conticommodity+Services,+Inc.&cartoon=ccc0053) In that case, the guy pled out to lower charges, basically admitting what he did in each instance - and the court said in a civil suit later that yes, his pleas were considered a "success" since he wasn't convicted, but then the business law he was trying to sue under also required good faith, and he didn't act in good faith even though he pled out.

So if JB pled 34 murderers before trial, he has 34 successes. :rolleyes:

She sure thinks she does, Dot. I can't imagine that JB hasn't at least tried to reason with her, but that is all he can do, is advise. Ultimately, the decision will be KC's as to how they will proceed, ie Zanny the Nanny or throwing someone else under the bus.

This is really old news--there was a thread on this months and months ago--turns out it's not true--IIRC, he was in law school during the time and could not have been representing clients by himself in court--certainly not if any jail time would have occurred from the offense.

I am not going to weigh in on JBs personal experience or record- but the common practice in law firms is to only let new lawyers go to trial on slam-dunk cases. You aren't going to give your new lawyer anything sticky or challenging, because he or she just point blank won't have the trial experience to maneuver the evidence rules, "judge" the feeling of the judge, etc. So to make a judgment, you really have to look at each case--

If he won 32 out of 34 murder/conspiracy/etc cases where odds are the person did it, you'd give him much more credit as a defense attorney then if he got 32 traffic tickets thrown out when the officer forgot to sign the back or something like that.

Also, anything short of a conviction is considered "success" - waltuch v. conticommodity (here's a cartoon hehe- http://www.stus.com/stus-cartoon.php?name=Waltuch+v.+Conticommodity+Services,+Inc.&cartoon=ccc0053) In that case, the guy pled out to lower charges, basically admitting what he did in each instance - and the court said in a civil suit later that yes, his pleas were considered a "success" since he wasn't convicted, but then the business law he was trying to sue under also required good faith, and he didn't act in good faith even though he pled out.

So if JB pled 34 murderers before trial, he has 34 successes. :rolleyes:

That makes a lot more sense. :thumb:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lover305