UT UT - Timothy Parry, 19, disabled, Cedar City, 17 July 1989

Jonathan Berry went missing from Provo in June 2006. He was last seen in Rock Canyon, where his friends said he went often. He was wearing a blue T-shirt, tan shorts and Teva sandals. He has a scar on his forehead, between his eyebrows, and wears contacts.

Timothy Parry disappeared from his home in Cedar City in 1989, according to the Utah Department of Public Safety Bureau of Criminal Investigation. He has several mental conditions, including epilepsy and angelman's syndrome. His conditions cause him to be unbalanced, and when frightened, he screams and his hands shake. Timothy is also allergic to the sun.

Jonathan and Timothy are missing, and they aren't the only ones.

According to the National Crime Information Center's (NCIC) Missing Person File, 836,131 people were reported missing in 2006, an increase of .19 percent from the previous year.

"We get a lot of reports, some more merited than others," said Lt. Doug Edwards of the Orem Police Department.

More than 662,228 of the people reported missing were under 18, and more than half, a total of 451,734, were female, according to the NCIC Missing Person and Unidentified Person Statistics for 2006.

Also, of the 836,131 people missing, 100,451 are considered endangered - meaning the NCIC has reason to believe they could be in danger - 22,915 left involuntarily, 443 disappeared during a catastrophe and 35,382 who left had either a mental or physical disability.

The threat of disappearance does not only apply to a certain age, ethnic or gender group; and when someone is reported as missing, law enforcement officials step in to find them.

"We respond to all initial reports, but some take precedence," Edwards said. Cases that have been going on for more than 48 hours or under circumstances, like evidence of danger, are more of an immediate concern.

"Adults sometimes just don't check in," Edwards said. "So we don't always run out and begin a search, especially when the person usually returns home by the time we get to the location."

Police may do some quiet checking - talking to friends, stopping by the person's work - before starting an investigation, Edwards said.

Once an investigation begins, the police contact the NCIC with names of the missing individuals, Edwards said. Then they check with contacts, employees, and friends, and on occasion, check the missing person's credit cards to see if there has been any activity.

Almost all people eventually show up, even if it's later, Edwards said.

"Very rarely are people really missing," he said.

While most reports are false alarms, police and other search organizations still encourage precautionary steps that may prevent disappearances or help the missing person's chances of being found.

There are several things people can do to help the investigation process, said Dawn Davis, senior case manager at the Laura Recovery Center for Missing Children. The recovery center receives missing-person reports from law enforcement and family members nationwide.

In 2006, the recovery center received 125 reports. Of those, about 64 people returned home alive, five to eight were abductions, and the remainder are still missing.

One of the most important things people can do is keep a good, up-to-date photo of friends and roommates, Davis said. Knowing what the person really looks like can make a huge difference for search groups.

Once the recovery center receives a report, they immediately begin to collect valuable information, such as habits, hobbies and friends of the missing person - anything that can give them insight into where or with whom the person could be.

Posting flyers at fast food restaurants, bus stops, truck stops, shelters, airports, hospitals, rental car facilities, and any other locations that house modes of transportation have made a big difference..

Another thing people can do to help the investigation is to talk with law enforcement agencies in other areas, just to make sure they are aware someone is missing and know what the missing person looks like.

"People assume all law enforcement agencies communicate with one another, which isn't always the case," Davis said.

Typically, the police only contact other agencies when they have reason to believe the missing person may be in their jurisdiction, Lt. Edwards said.

Also, it's important to stay close with roommates; this helps ensure everyone's safety, Davis said.

"You can protect yourself so it doesn't happen to you," Edwards said.

Lana Holden, a 20-year-old dietetics major from Schenectady, N.Y., runs and bikes by herself for exercise However, she always takes precautions when she goes out, she said.

"I always go the same places," she said. "I never go after dark. I always tell him [my husband] when I'm gone, I usually text him and say 'I'm leaving and I'll call you when I get back.' If I'm going to go somewhere new, I'll always tell him where I'm going."

Holden used to use a whiteboard with her roommate to write down where they were going. Even if it's routine, ensuring one's safety and letting others know whereabouts is essential.

"Things happen, you get a flat tire or you fall," said Holden, who once fainted during a run. "All kinds of weird things."

Roommates should have a system and agree to tell each other where they are going, who they are going with and when they will be back.

If your roommates aren't home when you leave, write them a note telling them where you will be and who with.

"Give us a place to start looking for you," Edwards said.

The most important thing is that people just use common sense, Davis said.

"Don't take your safety for granted," she said. "If you're worried someone's missing, call the police, get help and get involved. The more eyes and ears we have out there, the better chance we have of bringing the missing person home safe."

http://newsnet.byu.edu/story.cfm/65583

Timothy Scott Parry aka: Tim
MISSING SINCE: 7/17/1989
DOB: 3-9-1970 AGE: 19 at time of disapearance HEIGHT: 5'4" WEIGHT: 100 lbs
HAIR: Black EYES: Hazel RACE: White CONTACT: Utah Missing Person's Clearinghouse 1-888-770-6477

Endangered Missing w/ Disability: Timothy disappeared from his home in Cedar City Utah. He has several medical conditions: Epilepsy, angelman's syndrome or happy puppet syndrome. He has brain damage that causes him to be un-balanced. When frightened he will scream and shake his hands. His face peels under his eyes and he has porferia, an allergy to the sun. Timothy has burn scars on the palms of both hands. Dental and medical records available.

http://bci.utah.gov/MPC/MPCMissing.html

Goodness it doesn't sound like this guy has much of a chance out there on his own! Hoping he is found safe and well soon. Prayers for him.

Timothy Scott Parry aka: Tim
MISSING SINCE: 7/17/1989
DOB: 3-9-1970 AGE: 19 at time of disapearance HEIGHT: 5'4" WEIGHT: 100 lbs
HAIR: Black EYES: Hazel RACE: White CONTACT: Utah Missing Person's Clearinghouse 1-888-770-6477

Endangered Missing w/ Disability: Timothy disappeared from his home in Cedar City Utah. He has several medical conditions: Epilepsy, angelman's syndrome or happy puppet syndrome. He has brain damage that causes him to be un-balanced. When frightened he will scream and shake his hands. His face peels under his eyes and he has porferia, an allergy to the sun. Timothy has burn scars on the palms of both hands. Dental and medical records available.

http://bci.utah.gov/MPC/MPCMissing.html

This case is so sad! I wonder was he living with a caretaker.....he could easily be taken advantage of. :(

I wonder how he got burn scars on the palms of his hands.....:(

Oh this so sad, it is chilling. I read about this poor teenager at Charley Project. Have there been any updates? Just devastating!

Satch

Bumping up for Tim,

Here is more information about him from another message board. I found an interesting theory and sad post on page two of this link. (Near the bottom, the poster that claims Tim was a decedent of someone famous connected with the Mormon Church.) However, feel free to study the whole URL:

Timothy Parry, 19, UT, 1989 - Medical Conditions - Cold Case Investigations

Tim also had a brother who died in his sleep in his early twenty's in 1991. Is there any research about the family? I don't think this poor teen could have survived more than a few hours without help. Some thoughts to consider, if he was killed in cruel cold blood, why hasn't his body been found? Could his remains have been hidden?

An interesting take in the above thread, is could he have been abandoned by the family who did not want anything to do with him anymore? Why would this abandonment happen after so many years, assuming that Tim was developmentally disabled since birth? Could Tim have become lost and disoriented, dying of exposure? If so, why is it that no one has seen him or has found his remains? Could he have been injured by falling down a hole or shaft in an area so isolated that he was never found and passed away that way?

I found it interesting how the Mormons who have such a strong presence in Utah often show great care for the disabled. Could someone have just "lovingly" adopted him? Since Tim was nineteen, would he have the legal rights as an adult? Or would those considerations need to be modified because of his medical condition? I often wonder how well or not well Tim could communicate in the outside world. I hope wherever he is, he has found peace, happiness, and love.

However, I have a bad feeling that something terrible happened to him. What do you all think?

Satch

Bumping up for Tim,

Here is more information about him from another message board. I found an interesting theory and sad post on page two of this link. (Near the bottom, the poster that claims Tim was a decedent of someone famous connected with the Mormon Church.) However, feel free to study the whole URL:

Tim also had a brother who died in his sleep in his early twenty's in 1991. Is there any research about the family? I don't think this poor teen could have survived more than a few hours without help. Some thoughts to consider, if he was killed in cruel cold blood, why hasn't his body been found? Could his remains have been hidden?

An interesting take in the above thread, is could he have been abandoned by the family who did not want anything to do with him anymore? Why would this abandonment happen after so many years, assuming that Tim was developmentally disabled since birth? Could Tim have become lost and disoriented, dying of exposure? If so, why is it that no one has seen him or has found his remains? Could he have been injured by falling down a hole or shaft in an area so isolated that he was never found and passed away that way?

I found it interesting how the Mormons who have such a strong presence in Utah often show great care for the disabled. Could someone have just "lovingly" adopted him? Since Tim was nineteen, would he have the legal rights as an adult? Or would those considerations need to be modified because of his medical condition? I often wonder how well or not well Tim could communicate in the outside world. I hope wherever he is, he has found peace, happiness, and love.

However, I have a bad feeling that something terrible happened to him. What do you all think?

Satch

Bumping up for Tim. I still wonder the same things as quoted above. Is there any information concerning the cause of his brother's death in 1991? Was there a history of medical issues in Tim's family? Did the brother also have any disabilities or health challenges?

This is a Cold Case Forum about Tim's case. It's two pages:

I may have posted this link before, but a poster on the second page of the link (Papilion) claims the following:

"Children with Angelman's syndrome can't walk. Most can only crawl or walk when they are assisted by someone or something. There is no way that Timothy just walked off. "

At the very least, these children have a hard time walking. It seems they need constant supervision. Would like to find out more facts about his case. How did Tim wonder off? Who was supposed to be watching him that day? Could he have been left alone for just a matter of minutes and wondered off? It certainly seems like Tim could not get very far on his own, either physically, mentally, or emotionally. This young man needed very special, loving care, just to survive.

Satch

PS. This is Tim's Name Us page:

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/1366/29/

As you go through the pages of the profile, note that you will find a couple more pictures of him than the two on Charlie Project. These pictures seem to show Tim at an age closer to his disappearance.

Additionally, Doe Network's account of Tim's case is here, with a second picture:

http://doenetwork.org/cases/3526dmut.html

Maybe this information can help in the case.

Bumping up for Tim,

Sadly, I have a terrible feeling that Tim has passed away, and was "exploited" in some way before he died. Just as painful, I sense that if he is living, I don't think it is in a "good" place. Have their been any updates in Tim's case? Would love to be proven wrong about the uneasiness I feel, and would like a sign of any hope that Tim is alive and happy!

His brother's "unexplained" death concerns me. I wonder if it is related to Tim's case? Or did this family just have two horrible and coincidental tragedies?

Satch

Searched namus for anyone similar around that year
the only hit i got was really
https://identifyus.org/en/cases/3999
Found a few months later in texas.
But seems unlikey

Sad case He didnt really have much chance being on his own.
He could have fallen or got lost somewhere though and just no one has ever found his body

Satch, can you post that link again? It's not showing as a link here.

This condition breaks my heart. :( It's so odd that his brother died at such a late stage in his life?

This condition breaks my heart. :( It's so odd that his brother died at such a late stage in his life?

Actually,

Tim's brother died early in life. I believe in his twenties, and in his sleep. Both are sad thoughts. I wish we knew more from a family member or any relative about what happened, both on the day Tim left, and his brother's seemingly untimely death. A peaceful death could be if there was a painful medical condition that would chronically not get better, like incurable cancer or something. But we don't know anything in this case that supports such evidence.

Satch

Bumping up for Tim,

I wish we could find out how his brother died. Yes, it was in his sleep. But what caused this to happen?

Satch

Bumping for Tim.
In 2000, I think his father posted on the ancestry message boards, asking if anyone had seen him or found a John Doe after the time he went missing.
I wonder how closely law enforcement scrutinized the circumstances of this case, given his disabilities and what sounds like may have been limited mobility? He couldn't have gotten far on his own it sounds like.

Bumping for Tim.
In 2000, I think his father posted on the ancestry message boards, asking if anyone had seen him or found a John Doe after the time he went missing.
I wonder how closely law enforcement scrutinized the circumstances of this case, given his disabilities and what sounds like may have been limited mobility? He couldn't have gotten far on his own it sounds like.

Thanks for posting any updates!

I have wondered about this as well. Tim could not have survived very long on his own. What chills me is could he have been taken by someone and used or exploited in a terrible way? And if that did not happen, could he have just been picked up innocently and have become a ward of the state in some group home? I don't know, could they hold a John Doe there with no physical identification? What kind of background checks and systems were in place within the state of Utah to help and protect the severely disabled in 1989?

I agree with Alleykins, what did LE know about this case at the time, and did they have any leads as to what happened to Tim? I still have a lot of the same questions:

1.) Tim's brother died in his sleep, what was the cause of his death?
2.) Any evidence of abuse or conflict in the Parry home?
3.) What were Tim's needs each day and who was responsible for his care? What was his scope of learning and knowledge? Many people, even with severe disabilities, can still do some things well, many times even exceptionally well, to compensate for their limitations.
4.) What was the extent of Tim's speech and language abilities? How did he respond to people?
5.) Who was supposed to be watching Tim that day? What span of time lapsed between seeing Tim "Walking away?" (I put "Walking away" in quotes, because I even question did Tim really walk away?) and never to be seen again? Somebody would have had to have seen him walk away. How do we know poor Tim was not taken away?

This case sends shivers down my back just writing about it, because I have a very uneasy feeling that Tim's whole story, for whatever reason, is not being told. I am not placing blame, we know practically nothing about this case. But walking away to never be seen again involving a person that psychically challenged seems we are missing a critical piece of the puzzle in this case.

Satch

Anything could have happened to that poor man, but it all depends on how mobile he was. I would hope his ability to get away on his own that was looked at by the investigators.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back