The Teddy Bear and the Letter from Shreveport

VespaElf

Little Miss Showcase(runner-up)
Reaction score
Excuse me if these two things were discussed previously(Im new here!) but what about the Teddy Bear???? That was a "hot" lead that went nowhere it seems.
Was it ever established where it came from ?
I know supposedly a woman in Colorado turned in a similar Bear but ,as far as I know,nothing official ,was ever mentioned since.

AND

The anonymous letter from Shreveport,La...............have the contents of that ever been leaked?

Also instead of starting another thread esp. as its a minor matter I'll just take a second to mention something that I found weird:

Its always has struck me as odd that JohnAndrews room was next to JBR's with Burke all the way down the hallway with an empty guest room next to him..............To me it wouldve made more sense to have the "boys" on one side and JBR on the other end...............I dont think there was anything sinister w/ having JA next to JBR but it just always came off as something a bit weird..............anyone else notice this???

If you're talking about the "Santa bear", it was resolved a long time ago to the satisfaction of the D.A. who asked anyone who knew about it to come forward.

And I have no idea what "anonymous letter from Shreveport, LA" you are talking about.

Author of Anonymous Letter Mailed From Shreveport
Sought by Boulder Police Department

On February 7, 1997 it was learned that an anonymous letter mailed to Boulder detectives might contain potentially significant information about the JonBenét Ramsey case. Police pleaded for the author to come forward.

The handwritten letter was mailed from Shreveport, La., and postmarked January 27. As far as it is known, the author has never been identified.

Source

In an About.com chat, Thomas wrote this about the Shreveport note: "short and sweet, a former friend of Patsy's, she wrote, saying we needed to look more at JR and PR early in the case. Some hints and innuendoes. nothing case breaking."

http://crime.about.com/library/weekly/aa051800b.htm

imo

2 Q. In December of 1998, there was a
3 fairly well publicized request from the
4 Boulder Police Department for assistance in
5 identifying and perhaps retrieving a Santa
6 Bear. Do you recall that?
7 A. Yes.
8 Q. Was it your understanding that the
9 bear that was sought was the same bear that
10 you were shown photographs of in 1998 June?
11 A. Yes.
12 Q. The same bear that you were
13 unable to identify?
14 A. Yes.
15 Q. We collectively, the prosecution
16 team, received from either Mr. Morgan or Mr.
17 Haddon the bear, the bear. Is that your
18 understanding?
19 A. Yes.
20 Q. How did we get it? I mean, what
21 was your participation in the chain of events
22 that led to the recovery of that bear?
23 A. The -- well, I think our lawyers
24 asked Gene Matthews, who was a local retired
25 police officer who had helped us with some
1 security at our home --
2 Q. Your home in Atlanta?
3 A. In Atlanta.
4 -- to go through boxes and look
5 for the bear.
6 Q. Did you assist him or is it her?
7 A. It is a him.
8 Q. Okay. Did you assist Mr.
9 Matthews, you personally?
10 A. You mean in digging through boxes?
11 Q. No. In offering suggestions to
12 where to look.
13 A. Well, I believe at that time we
14 were in the throes of a remodeling session,
15 and JonBenet's things that had come out of
16 her room in Colorado were packed and were in
17 the basement at my mother and father's house
18 in Roswell, Georgia.
19 So I told him that is where he
20 should start looking.
21 Q. Mrs. Ramsey, you emphatically
22 denied, in June of 1998, knowledge of that
23 bear. Did you have a change of
24 recollection, following the interviews in
25 1998, as to whether or not you had prior
1 knowledge of that bear?
2 MR. WOOD: Do you know what he
3 is asking you?
4 THE WITNESS: Do I recognize the
5 bear?
6 MR. WOOD: The emphatic part is
7 the only thing that concerns me. I am not
8 denying that it was emphatic, but I think
9 the point is you denied it in June of 1998,
10 and the question I think he is asking you is
11 when you found it, did that jog your
12 recollection that you might remember the
13 bear. Is that what you are asking?
14 MR. LEVIN: That is not quite the
15 question, but it is pretty close.
16 Q. (By Mr. Levin) What I am asking
17 you is, in June of 1998, you stated I do
18 not recognize this bear?
19 A. Correct.
20 Q. You recall that. The cry went
21 out for help in locating the origin of the
22 bear. Did you, at some point between our
23 request for assistance and in June of 1998,
24 have an opportunity to rethink the origin of
25 the bear and realize that that was, in fact,
1 JonBenet's Santa Bear?
2 MR. WOOD: I think you meant
3 between your request and December of 1998.
4 Q. (By Mr. Levin) Between June of
5 1998 and our request for help in December of
6 1998 --
7 MR. WOOD: That's right.
8 Q. (By Mr. Levin) -- did your
9 recollection get jogged and you realized that
10 you did, in fact, own the bear?
11 A. No. I mean, it was still a bear
12 that I did not recognize.
13 Q. Have you since that time had
14 anything that has refreshed your recollection
15 in that regard so that you now presently
16 know the source of that bear?
17 A. No.
18 Q. I am going to provide you with
19 some information to see if we can jog your
20 memory. I have seen a videotape taken at a
21 pageant in December, in fact, December 14,
22 1996. I think that was -- was that the
23 last -- I believe that was the last pageant
24 that JonBenet participated in.
25 MR. WOOD: Is that right?
1 Q. (By Mr. Levin) I am asking you
2 if that is your recollection as well.
3 THE WITNESS: Is that the
4 Christmas, one of the Christmas ones down by
5 the --
6 Q. Yes.
7 A. All right.
8 Q. Was that the last formal pageant
9 she participated in?
10 A. Uh-huh (affirmative).
11 Q. I have seen a videotape of that.
12 A. Uh-huh (affirmative).
13 Q. And in the videotape it shows the
14 prizes.
15 A. Uh-huh (affirmative).
16 Q. And that bear is in the videotape
17 with you in the videotape?
18 A. Oh, really?
19 Q. And JonBenet won that bear at
20 that pageant. Assuming that that is a
21 fact --
22 MR. WOOD: And you represent it
23 as fact.
24 MR. LEVIN: I'm representing that
25 it is my belief that that is true, and I
1 have seen videotape that shows what appears
2 to be that bear.

"JonBenet's things that had come out of her room in Colorado and were packed and were in the basement at my mother and father's house"

Odd they didn't want to be close to what remnants there were of their daughter. I've heard of parents not wanting to move a single thing from a dead child's room. Guess they didn't want to be reminded of what she did to their lives or is that what they did to hers.

popcorn said:
"JonBenet's things that had come out of her room in Colorado and were packed and were in the basement at my mother and father's house"

Odd they didn't want to be close to what remnants there were of their daughter. I've heard of parents not wanting to move a single thing from a dead child's room. Guess they didn't want to be reminded of what she did to their lives or is that what they did to hers.
Complete quote:
A. Well, I believe at that time we
14 were in the throes of a remodeling session,
and JonBenet's things that had come out of
16 her room in Colorado were packed and were in
17 the basement at my mother and father's house
18 in Roswell, Georgia.

It sounds like they were being temporarily stored in Roswell.

(quote)
Its always has struck me as odd that JohnAndrews room was next to JBR's with Burke all the way down the hallway with an empty guest room next to him..............To me it wouldve made more sense to have the "boys" on one side and JBR on the other end...............I dont think there was anything sinister w/ having JA next to JBR but it just always came off as something a bit weird..............anyone else notice this??? (end of quote)///// Well now that could be explained away rather easily if you look at it from a protective parents point. They might have rather had an adult close to her room as a protective device more so than plain just not thinking about it. And quite possibly have been putting a "buffer" between Burke and JonBent which may raise an eyebrow or two but when you're talking about the kind of police work that doesnt even jump on the testimony of the niece in the Westerfield VanDam trial where she testified that she woke up to Westerfield putting his fingers in her mouth (do you have any idea why he was doing that?) well then you can't expect them to put any importance in to something as simple to explain away as that. Just my opinion........darn I had another thought......shucks, gee whiz......dont call the thought police...please!!

Hi, solosamtheman. I don't think there was anything sinister about JAR's bedroom being next to JonBenet's, although now that you mention it, yes, it does seem kind of odd. Maybe each kid, including JAR, decided which room was more "them" than the other rooms, or maybe Patsy decided, based on the decorating possibilities of each room. I can see that there might have been more to it, though.

What was the other thought you said you had? (There may be a few here who would call the thought police, but most of us have nothing to do with Jameson and her forum.)

imo

Ivy, do you know if they checked the Santa Bear's DNA? Has he been officially cleared?

LOL

OMG, Shylock, I don't know, but if they haven't checked the Santa Bear's DNA, they need to do it pronto! The red fibers might not be Patsy's after all!

imo

I asked about the bear becauseI just always got the feeling that it had been imitated that the Santa teddy was another "intruder" clue and I never had a final answer to it(although after reading the transcript I cant say Im surprised that another supposed Intruder comes back to point directly at the Ramseys!!!!!!!) and the same with the letter.Ive heard different things about the contents and it seemed Boulder P.D was dying to find the author you'd think it was important!

messiecake, I'm glad you asked about the Santa Bear and the letter. I didn't remember exactly how the SB mystery turned out, and I hadn't even heard about the letter till you brought it up. (I found the bit of info I posted about the letter by using Google.) Anyway, thanks. :)

imo

Hang on and maybe someone will have more answers. I confess I too wondered why JAR's room was close to JonBenet instead of Burke. Someone mentioned protection, and if that was the case, seens to me it means they must have known the kids should have been on the top floor.

Seems like I remember reading that the Ramsey's did some shuffling of the kids rooms after John's oldest daughter died.

Anyone else remember this?

ayjey said:
Seems like I remember reading that the Ramsey's did some shuffling of the kids rooms after John's oldest daughter died.

Anyone else remember this?

I guess not

of many prizes given out at the pageant, and Patsy simply didn't remember it.....or might not have even been aware of it. JR bundled up the prizes and carried them home. I believe the room shuffling was done during Patsy's bout with cancer, when she moved to the second floor to be closer to a bathroom and JBR just stayed in the room afterwards. JAR didn't normally sleep at the Ramsey house---but had a room there...I believe he stayed at his frat house.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snugglebear
Back