Bush commutes sentences of former border patrol agents

GetSmart

Reaction score
icon8.gif
Shouldn't have been in prison at all!!!

Bush commutes sentences of former border patrol agents
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009...patrol-agents/

Bush Commutes Sentences for Two Former Border Patrol Agents
President Bush commutes the sentences of Ignacio Ramos and Jose Alonso Compean, convicted of shooting a Mexican drug runner in 2005.

On his last full day in office, President Bush commuted the controversial sentences of two former Border Patrol agents convicted of shooting a Mexican drug runner in 2005.

The imprisonment of Ignacio Ramos and Jose Alonso Compean had sparked outcry from critics who said the men were just doing their jobs and were punished too harshly. They had been sentenced to 11- and 12-year sentences, respectively.

Their sentences will now expire on March 20 of this year.

Ramos and Compean were sentenced in connection with the shooting of Osvaldo Aldrete Davila, who was shot in the buttocks while trying to flee along the Texas border. He admitted smuggling several hundred pounds of marijuana on the day he was shot and pleaded guilty last year to drug charges related to two other smuggling attempts.

At least justice has finally been done. I'm so relieved.

Well it's about time!
I was so mad when I first heard about this.

This is long overdue! These guys deserve far more than just this.

I'm thrilled for them! :woohoo:

:clap::Justice:

Though would have liked their release to have been immediate.

I'm glad they're getting out of prison in March, but would like to see their records cleared instead of having to live with the shame of violating their oaths and the rest of their lives as convicted felons ( as stated by Bush). When those horrible barbarian drug people in Mexico start beheading and kidnapping people in the U.S. maybe the country will get serious about a problem that's getting worse and worse.

Oh My World. Well there is another strike against the man. did he REALLY Send men who were doing their Jobs, their duty to serve and protect the Citizens of The USA to Jail ?

GRRR I am so glad this man is on his way >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> O U T !!!

And I am not even an American ! putting up with this carp !

Liz I wholeheartedly agree they should have their records completely expunged like it never happened

Why isn't that the case ?

I've been faxing a letter to the president begging for their commute for about two weeks. I would have liked to have seen them pardoned also but I think the fact that they tried to cover up what happened worked against them.

Hopefully anyone in their right mind won't hold what they did against these guys. They and their families have paid a high price. I understand that being convicted will keep them from being hired for certain jobs but at least they'll be coming home to their families.

Oh My World. Well there is another strike against the man. did he REALLY Send men who were doing their Jobs, their duty to serve and protect the Citizens of The USA to Jail ?

Liz I wholeheartedly agree they should have their records completely expunged like it never happened

Bush didn't send these men to jail!!! US citizens did it! I am not fond of some of the decisions that Bush made while in the presidency but he has spent his adult life serving the country that I love and I respect him for that.
The citizens of the US did this to these men and they were spurred on by the political party that is now taking control. Bush did this as a final act to thumb his nose at the democrats in power that influenced this decision in the first place.
There is a system of checks and balances in this country and the president is not God, although some people all of the sudden are treating the incoming man as if he is. The president is a man, who makes mistakes and does not control everything.

Bush is a hero to many in regards to nacho and Campeon. He commuted theri sentence and that was a good thing.Tis is not a strike against Bush at all. These guards were tried and convicted by a jury of their peers. The judge was bound by a mandatory sentence of min 10 years and so it was imposed. The discharging a weapon charge is the one that carried the min sentence but it is highly unusual for this charge to be brought against an agent let alone be convicted of it. You might want to check the details with a search in the Political Pavilion.

Nacho Ramos was beaten in prison a year or so ago and consequently has all sorts of physical and possibly mental issues. They have no health insurance at this point and they have a long road to hoe.

I am not sure if I agree with going after a pardon so imo the commutation of sentences was a good way to go.

I've been faxing a letter to the president begging for their commute for about two weeks. I would have liked to have seen them pardoned also but I think the fact that they tried to cover up what happened worked against them.

Hopefully anyone in their right mind won't hold what they did against these guys. They and their families have paid a high price. I understand that being convicted will keep them from being hired for certain jobs but at least they'll be coming home to their families.
I agree. I am not sure this rises to the level of pardon, but I do think the 2 plus years they have been in prison is sufficent.
IIRC they were offerd a plea of 1 year in the penitentiary early on and they turned it down. Does anyone else remeber that? I could be wrong.
Very emotional trial and case.

Please read up on this--George Bush did NOT send these men to jail, they were convicted by a jury of their peers, which is the American judicial system. Bush has nothing to do with their convictions!!! I am glad that he commuted their sentence, I would have liked for him to pardon them, but I am SOOOO sick of the needless Bush bashing, especially when people do not check their facts first.

Actually most democrats supported pardoning these men too, so it was not done as a nose thumbing, it was done because it was the right thing to do. The guy was a drug smuggler, he was shot in the butt by men trying to protect our borders. I agree with JBean on this one!

Bush didn't send these men to jail!!! US citizens did it! I am not fond of some of the decisions that Bush made while in the presidency but he has spent his adult life serving the country that I love and I respect him for that.
The citizens of the US did this to these men and they were spurred on by the political party that is now taking control. Bush did this as a final act to thumb his nose at the democrats in power that influenced this decision in the first place.
There is a system of checks and balances in this country and the president is not God, although some people all of the sudden are treating the incoming man as if he is. The president is a man, who makes mistakes and does not control everything.

Actually most democrats supported pardoning these men too, so it was not done as a nose thumbing, it was done because it was the right thing to do. The guy was a drug smuggler, he was shot in the butt by men trying to protect our borders. I agree with JBean on this one!

I am glad these men are being released from prison, but it never looks good to shoot someone in the back - I think that fact (along with the coverup) bodes against them.

And let's not forget that the illegal alien drug smuggling "victim", who was given immunity to testify for the prosecution against Ramos and Compean, was arrested AGAIN for smuggling drugs into the USA. In 2007 he was caught bringing more than 750 pounds of marijuana across into the U.S.

I agree with you....commuting their sentences was the right thing to do.

IMO

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woohoo3