Thread: Snow In Tampa Bay Area? It May Happen Tuesday Night

Snow In Tampa Bay Area? It May Happen Tuesday Night

I hope we get snow!!

Tribune file photo (1977)

Tampa residents last saw snow 32 years ago today.

TAMPA - If - and that's an if in boldface, capital letters - the weather dominoes line up just right, folks from Tampa Bay to Brooksville stand a chance of seeing some snow Tuesday night.
    It wouldn't be heavy, certainly not something from a Currier and Ives painting, but there is a chance for flurries, said Paul Close, a National Weather Service meteorologist.
    It would be more like snow pellets, not fluffy flakes, he said.
    The best chance for snow would be from the Tampa Bay area to Brooksville on Tuesday night.
    Even if there's no snow, the approaching front should bring some light rain coming off the Gulf of Mexico starting Tuesday afternoon from Interstate 75 west from Tampa north and lasting until midnight.
    The weather service forecast does not say snow will show up that night, but meteorologists say the cold air moving over the Gulf of Mexico on Tuesday will pick up moisture and form clouds as a cold front comes through.
    If there is enough lift in the atmosphere to stack the clouds higher than the forecast calls for, the snow flurries could form, Close said.
    Even without the possibility of snow, the front coming through on Tuesday will be ahead of the coldest air of this recent spell of cold weather that will show up Wednesday.
    Enough cold air will be moving in on Tuesday that the high temperature for the day may come before sunrise and continue to drop during the daylight hours.
    Forecasters say freezing temperatures Tuesday night and Wednesday night could go as far south as Punta Gorda with temperatures ranging from the low 20s in Hernando to the high 20s in Hillsborough County and low 30s in Charlotte.
    Only Pinellas County would be out of the potential freeze, the weather service said.
    http://www2.tbo.com/content/2009/jan...tuesday-night/
    "This isn't who they are. It is only what happened to them."
    Jaycee Dugard

I hope the orange groves don't freeze.
    "WE SEEK FOR THE TRUTH. WE SEEK JUSTICE.
    THE COURTS REQUIRE IT. THE VICTIMS CRY FOR IT
    AND GOD DEMANDS IT!"

A quote spray painted on the wall by search
    and rescue workers, Team 5, at the OKC Bombing site 4-19-1995.

What I post are my opinions only.

Quote Originally Posted by GetSmart View Post
    I hope we get snow!!

Tribune file photo (1977)

Tampa residents last saw snow 32 years ago today.

TAMPA - If - and that's an if in boldface, capital letters - the weather dominoes line up just right, folks from Tampa Bay to Brooksville stand a chance of seeing some snow Tuesday night.
    It wouldn't be heavy, certainly not something from a Currier and Ives painting, but there is a chance for flurries, said Paul Close, a National Weather Service meteorologist.
    It would be more like snow pellets, not fluffy flakes, he said.
    The best chance for snow would be from the Tampa Bay area to Brooksville on Tuesday night.
    Even if there's no snow, the approaching front should bring some light rain coming off the Gulf of Mexico starting Tuesday afternoon from Interstate 75 west from Tampa north and lasting until midnight.
    The weather service forecast does not say snow will show up that night, but meteorologists say the cold air moving over the Gulf of Mexico on Tuesday will pick up moisture and form clouds as a cold front comes through.
    If there is enough lift in the atmosphere to stack the clouds higher than the forecast calls for, the snow flurries could form, Close said.
    Even without the possibility of snow, the front coming through on Tuesday will be ahead of the coldest air of this recent spell of cold weather that will show up Wednesday.
    Enough cold air will be moving in on Tuesday that the high temperature for the day may come before sunrise and continue to drop during the daylight hours.
    Forecasters say freezing temperatures Tuesday night and Wednesday night could go as far south as Punta Gorda with temperatures ranging from the low 20s in Hernando to the high 20s in Hillsborough County and low 30s in Charlotte.
    Only Pinellas County would be out of the potential freeze, the weather service said.
    http://www2.tbo.com/content/2009/jan...tuesday-night/

I remember that time it snowed......I had a 1969 T-Bird. It also snowed(flurries) Christmas Eve 1987 in St. Pete.

SeriouslySearching:I hope the orange groves don't freeze.

Oh I was so selfish.. I didn't even consider the oranges or strawberries.. Now I feel bad. I take it back ...
    Jaycee Dugard

Florida usually gets one, MAYBE two, days of "winter" every January, I've noticed, before going back into the 70's, lol. Must be nice to have 1 or 2 days of winter every year! We've had 36 inches of snow this winter, so far!

Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

To help the victims of the deadly tornadoes, please click here.

Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
    .............. We've had 36 inches of snow this winter, so far!
    >
    Aww, how cute! LOL! I think we had that much before thanksgiving.

TBH = Doting Father, Loving & Faithful Husband, Volunteer FF/EMT, Steward of the Land, Patriot, Athiest.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriouslySearching View Post
    I hope the orange groves don't freeze.
    Hopefully it won't be too bad. I remember that one year the "big freeze" it killed the crops and everything was shut down, closed. They don't have the plows and salters since it's so rare.
    I have a friend in Tampa, i'll have to email her..

Deep Freeze

http://www.baynews9.com/content/36/2...21/428296.html

HILLSBOROUGH COUNTY (Bay News 9) -- Local farmers spent the night keeping a close eye on the thermometer and their crops.
    Parksdale Farms in Plant City has a lot of strawberries that were out in the elements overnight and growers said it was not just the cold concerning them but the winds as well.
    "We don't get the coverage that we do need, cause the winds pushing the water,' strawberry farmer Mark Park said. "If it stays windy - you're going to have some burn marks out in the field where the water wasn't getting where it was supposed to."
    Farmers said the water actually protects the plants. It freezes them in a protective barrier of air.
    More Information
    • dipped down to the upper 20s, prompting growers to turn on sprinklers around 2 a.m.

Park said he likely would have to use the sprinklers again early Thursday as even colder temperatures have been forecast.
    He said the crops would be assessed for damage, along with the sprinklers before preparing for tonight's cold.

They said on the news today we could headed for a deep freeze.
    Jaycee Dugard

Live in Naples which is 2 hours south of Tampa. My thermostat read 33 degrees this morning. COLD!!!!

http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2009/01/...6231232402332/

"UPITER, Fla., Jan. 19 (UPI) -- It wasn't raining iguanas in southern Florida -- experts said cold weather caused some of the lizards to fall asleep and drop from trees. The experts said this week's cold temperatures, which dropped into the 40s, caused several iguanas to lose their grips and fall out of trees due to the deep sleep brought on by the chilly weather, WPEC-TV in West Palm Beach reported Monday.
    David Hitzig at the Busch Wildlife Sanctuary in Jupiter said iguanas are reported dead in higher volumes when temperatures drop because they attempt to warm themselves in dangerous places, including roads and driveways."