768 users online (132 members and 636 guests)  

Websleuths News

gaia227 is offline I have never taken any exercise except sleeping and resting - M. Twain

Oscar Nominations - 2008

Has this not been posted yet? I did a search and didn't find anything.

Benjamin Button leads the pack with 13 noms.

http://www.oscar.com/nominees/?pn=nominees

I am SO glad to see Michael Shannon get a best supporting actor nod for Revolutionary Road. I told my fiance when we left the theater I was surprised he had not gotten more recognition for that role because he was just amazing. Anytime he was in the scene he dominated that scene and outshone everyone else.
    'The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated'
    --Ghandi

I watched it... glad to see that Benjamin Button grabbed so many nods. Bittersweet moment: Heath Ledger's nod exactly a year after his death.

gaia227 is offline I have never taken any exercise except sleeping and resting - M. Twain
    The great thing about Ledger's nomination is it does not feel like it is being done just out of rememberance of him but because he put it an awesome performance.

Benjamin Buttons is a great film and I am happy to see it got so many noms. It reminded me so much of Forrest Gump and then I read that both movies were written by the same guy so that all makes sense now. Brad Pitt was really good and proved again he is more than just a pretty, pretty, handsome, sexy face (did I mention pretty?).
    So far my favorite film I've seen is Slumdog Millionaire. I loved The Wrestler too.
    I thought Sean Penn was amazing in Milk but Mickey Rourke was pretty impressive and so heartbreaking.
    I know Revolutionary Road got mixed reviews and some critics hated it but I really thought Leonardo DiCaprio gave one of his best performances. I would have liked to have seen him nominated.

I have not seen The Reader yet which is funny considering I loved the book and Ralph Fiennes is my future husband.
    'The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated'
    --Ghandi

Quote Originally Posted by gaia227 View Post
    (snipped)
    I have not seen The Reader yet which is funny considering I loved the book and Ralph Fiennes is my future husband.
    I guess you guys won't be married long because he's my future husband too and I plan on keeping him.

I think Tom Cruise should have gotten the Best Supporting Actor nomination (instead of Robert Downey, Jr) for Tropic Thunder. Tom Cruise stole that movie. But I would have loved to see Downey get a Best Actor nod for Iron Man.

I would like to see Rachel Getting Married this weekend.
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

Quote Originally Posted by lizzybeth View Post
    I guess you guys won't be married long because he's my future husband too and I plan on keeping him.

I would be willing to share him

DId you see him on Jay Leno last week? Oh. My.
    --Ghandi

Quote Originally Posted by southcitymom View Post
    I think Tom Cruise should have gotten the Best Supporting Actor nomination (instead of Robert Downey, Jr) for Tropic Thunder. Tom Cruise stole that movie. But I would have loved to see Downey get a Best Actor nod for Iron Man.

I would like to see Rachel Getting Married this weekend.
    I want to see Rachel Getting Married too. I like Jonathan Demme and I am interested in seeing Anne Hathaway's performance. There are so many movies out I want to see right now.

I thought Tom was great and I love it that he allows himself to let go like that and just look ugly and ridiculous. However, I thought RDJ was hilarious and stole the movie. Without him in it would not have been the same movie and would not have been nearly as entertaining.

Maybe I sound cliche but I am disappointed The Dark Knight was overlooked. I definitely think Chris Nolan deserved a best director nod.
    --Ghandi