[FONT=Verdana,Arial]
Very sad story. The doctors screwed up.

[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial]
Brazil’s Miss World finalist has her hands and feet amputated
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial]
bridi.jpg
Mariana Bridi da Costa ( Globo.com photo)

http://english.pravda.ru/society/sto...a_miss_world-0

Brazil’s Miss World finalist has her hands and feet amputated

Twenty-year-old Brazilian model Mariana Bridi da Costa, who was supposed to represent her nation at Miss World beauty pageant, had her hands and feet amputated because of a severe urinary infection, AFP reports.

The operation under general anesthesia with the use of artificial respiration took place at Serra’s hospital, in the south-east of the Brazilian Province of Espirito Santo.
The model was diagnosed with the blue pus bacillus bacterial infection (Pseudomonas aeruginosa), which often leads to lethal outcomes. The blood poisoning in her limbs triggered blood circulation disorder, and doctors eventually decided to amputate the woman’s hands and feet.
Bridi’s boyfriend Thiago Simoes told reporters that she had fallen ill on December 30, although she was mistakenly diagnosed with kidney stones.
The infection was spreading very quickly, and the woman had to return to hospital for further examination, which revealed her real condition.
Bridi’s father, Agnaldo da Costa, told reporters that it was the tragedy of her whole life.
Bridi won the national Miss World final twice and traveled to China last year to participate in Miss Bikini International.
The Miss World pageant is the oldest surviving major international beauty pageant created in the United Kingdom by Eric Morley in 1951. Alongside with its rival Miss Universe and Miss Earth contests, this pageant is one of the most publicized beauty contests in the world. The telecast of the final competition is the world's largest live annual beauty pageant television event with global viewers.
The winner spends a year traveling to represent the Miss World Organization and its various causes. Traditionally, Miss World lives in London during her reign. The current Miss World is Ksenia Sukhinova of Russia.
Miss World started as the Festival Bikini Contest, in honor of the recently introduced swim wear of the time, but was called "Miss World" by the press. It was originally planned as a one-off event. Upon learning about the upcoming Miss Universe pageant, Morley decided to make the pageant an annual event.
Opposition to the wearing of bikinis led to their replacement with more modest swim wear after the first contest. In 1959, the BBC started broadcasting the competition. The pageant's popularity grew with the advent of television.
In the year preceding the global finals, each delegate must win her national title or a specially designated Miss World national preliminary. Miss World's national preliminaries are conducted by their license-holders, who hold the franchise to use the "Miss World" name in their country. The annual final is typically a month long event, with several preliminary galas, dinners, balls and activities, culminating in a globally telecast final show in which the field is narrowed to between 15-20 delegates.
[/FONT]

This is so sad- I pray that she can recover. (I didn't know that Pseudomonas could be inside the body like this.)

How awful for someone in this line but she is lucky also not to be dead

http://www.textbookofbacteriology.net/pseudomonas.html

Pseudomonas aeruginosa is an opportunistic pathogen, meaning that it exploits some break in the host defenses to initiate an infection. In fact, Pseudomonas aeruginosa is the epitome of an opportunistic pathogen of humans. The bacterium almost never infects uncompromised tissues, yet there is hardly any tissue that it cannot infect if the tissue defenses are compromised in some manner. It causes urinary tract infections, respiratory system infections, dermatitis, soft tissue infections, bacteremia, bone and joint infections, gastrointestinal infections and a variety of systemic infections, particularly in patients with severe burns and in cancer and AIDS patients who are immunosuppressed. Pseudomonas aeruginosa infection is a serious problem in patients hospitalized with cancer, cystic fibrosis, and burns. The case fatality rate in these patients is near 50 percent.

I hope that she will have a lot of support through her recovery :(

PLEASE READ THIS ACCOUNT she could STILL DIE

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,24951977-5012753,00.html

Her boyfriend Thiago Simoes said Miss Bridi could die, despite the drastic surgery.

"We are all absolutely distraught and are just praying now that she can pull through," he said.

Lots of lovely photos of her here http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/01/22/mariana-bridi-da-costa-mi_n_160055.html

WTF OMFG

This happened since i wrote my post

OMFG

RIP MARIA :(

Unfortunately, she did pass away.

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/americas/01/24/brazil.amputee.model/

I'd like to know just how this happened. Was it a misdiagnosis? My daughter has a UTI right now and I'm scared.

And no Lizzybeth most UTI;s do not cause this
Antibiotics given appropriately at right time will in the majority of cases fix it
Da Costa, 20, had fought a pernicious disease that has ravaged her body and forced doctors to perform the amputations and extract part of her stomach as well as both kidneys.

She had been breathing through a respirator, officials at Dorio Silva Hospital in the Brazilian state of Espirito Santo said Friday.

Da Costa suffered from necrosis, or the fast deadening of tissue, caused by septicemia. Septicemia, triggered by a bacterial infection, causes insufficient blood flow that can lead to organ failure.

Da Costa first sought medical advice after feeling ill in late December. Hospital officials said she was transferred to Dorio Silva on January 3 in "septic shock," a serious medical condition caused by an inflammation.

Da Costa was first diagnosed as suffering a urinary tract infection. By the time the infection was detected, it had developed into septicemia.

"It is a leading health threat in this country, killing at least 800,000 people a year,"
it is the tenth leading cause of deaths in the United States.

This is very sad,she was beautiful and so young to. I pray for her family and friends.

Just read where she had died, too. Very sad, but I also read where she lost part of her stomach and both kidneys. I don't know if I would have wanted to survive the rest of my life in that condition..... so maybe it was for the best. Who knows. Some people can handle tragedy like this and go and make something of their lives - maybe she was one of those who couldn't. Again, who knows.

She certainly wouldn't have had much quality of life if she had survived. No stomach, kidneys (a life of dialysis), feet or hands. Such a tragedy.

JaneinOz, thank you. I'm still confused though. When she went to the doctor and was diagnosed with a UTI, was that a misdiagnosis? She actually had septicemia?

This infection in the blood is very, very difficult to Cure. When the infection presents in the UT, it is always almost fatal.

Even if they did diagnose her in time, gave her all the medicine in the world, that still may not have saved her life.

This infection is resistant to medicine and can overwhelm the immune system(which goes crazy)in short order.

People have caught this infection and died within 24 hours.

A women I used to know caught an infection from a scrape on her leg(she slipped when she was outside and scraped her leg on ice).

She thought nothing of it, until the leg became red and swollen, she went to the hospital, gave her medicine for an infection.

She was rushed back to the hospital 36 hours after first going to the hospital, but by then it was too late. Her organs had already began to shout down and she died shortly thereafter.

So even when a person gets a prompt diagnosis, medicine and supportive life support, the incidents of dying from this is quite high.

By the time you present with symptoms of a UTI,with this type of bacteria the infection has already taken hold.

Mariana woke up from a Coma 10 days ago, and told her Fiancee that she wanted to live, that she still had so many more things to do. All she wanted to do was sruvive, that is all her family wanted at this time also.

She had a rare blood type and offers came in from all over the world to be blood donors.

My heart goes out to her friends and family. Apparently this women was a modest women, warm and kind. She grew up on a modest home with hard working parents. She was the breadwinner for her whole family and had a very promising future.

This is nothing short of tragic.

I haven't read the specs on this disease but still...
it is truely odd how it got into her body.VIA a vaginal infection?

What could have been the contact carrying it into her body like that?

Again: I have not read up on it only know it is a rare type of infection.Could she have been in some contaminated water for a BIKINI shoot?
Or something similar?
:confused:
I mean how many cases such as this are known of per year? In that area?

I haven't read the specs on this disease but still...
it is truely odd how it got into her body.VIA a vaginal infection?

What could have been the contact carrying it into her body like that?

[/B]

/snipped

UTI is urinary tract infection. same general area, different pipes. can happen from a lot of things, from bubble bath to sexual intercourse (too much of a good thing, sorta) can also just happen. its very common. i get it if i drink too much grapefruit juice, causes irritation and then boom. cranberry juice cures mine, but thats not always a cure, depending on the particular bacteria that causes it

this is so sad, such a beautiful girl.

:( So sad and such a tragic loss.

I read about this earlier today and was totally surprised. She was so young, I thought she'd pull through. Very, very sad. May she RIP. :(

Does anyone know the symptoms of this disease? This is very upsetting to hear. She was so young and had so much to offer. I get very upset when I hear of things like this. I know nothing about this disease and am curious as to what the symptoms are and how long did she have them before all this happened.

Does anyone know the symptoms of this disease? This is very upsetting to hear. She was so young and had so much to offer. I get very upset when I hear of things like this. I know nothing about this disease and am curious as to what the symptoms are and how long did she have them before all this happened.

Symptoms of UTIs are a constant feeling that you need to urinate and pain (sometimes blood) when you do urinate. Sometimes a fever will follow. I've had 5 or 6 UTIs in my life - got my first one when I was 15 or 16. I can catch them immediately now and if I take cranberry pills (6-8 of them every 4 hours) as soon as the symptoms appear, I can ward it off without a drs visit. However, every now and again, I will have to go to the dr for antibiotics. Antibiotics have always cleared them right up for me.

Most UTIs, which are not uncommon, clear up fairly easily. The danger is if it doesn't clear up and moves into your kidneys, which is what happened to this young lady. That happened to my sister once and she was hospitalized for almost a week and fed intravenous antibitiotics until it cleared up.

Mariana, unfortunately, had a strain of bacteria that doctors routinely have little luck in fighting. Bacteria can be caught anywhere. Most of us are just lucky we don't catch strains that kill us.

My daughter caught PSEUDOMONAS MENINGITIS at the hospital. Its a little different, but its horrible. Tgoodness my Kaelie was already admitted. I thought for sure she was going to die.

Prayers to this girls family and friends.

She certainly wouldn't have had much quality of life if she had survived. No stomach, kidneys (a life of dialysis), feet or hands. Such a tragedy.

JaneinOz, thank you. I'm still confused though. When she went to the doctor and was diagnosed with a UTI, was that a misdiagnosis? She actually had septicemia?

Hi no from what I read she was diagnosed wrongly with Kidney stones first

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back