FL - Ethan, 5, & Liliana Herrera, 4, found suffocated, East Naples, 24 Jan 2009

Oh goodness. May they rest in peace. I wonder how long they were missing..

That's an odd location for a 4 and 5 yr old to get themselves into. How small was the storage trunk?

I know that kids get into things all the time. I just still find it odd.

Sounds like this story is just beginning to unfold. I wonder how long they were missing and how they got there.

I wonder how she didn't realize the kids were missing, so quiet for probably a decent length of time before it killed them. Didn't she think 'Wow. They are being awfully quiet. What are they into now?' I know I check on my son when he is quiet for a little while. With 2 kids, I think I would expect more noise than with one kid.

Here is MORE info

It was inside and it was a Wicker Trunk

http://www.winknews.com/news/local/38405159.html

Snipped from the article..
This is the interview from the grandmother and she said that the mother and father ( her son) were seperated

On Saturday, the children's mother Susan Herrera, found her 5-year-old son Ethan and 4-year-old daughter Lillina unconscious inside a brown storage chest in their East Naples apartment.

The Collier County Sheriff's Office says the wicker chest was only 18x18x18 inches and has a locking mechanism. The chest also had a plywood lining.

Miriam Herrera says her son and Susan are separated. She says the kids spent every other week with her son and believes this tragedy was accidental.

How very sad. I surely can't be suspicious of the Mom without additional information. So far, it just sounds like a horrible accident.

My goodness bless their hearts. I see that the chest was lined in plywood, they probably didn't get enough air very soon after the lock caught. What a tragedy.

I just can't wrap my head around this one, those poor babies!
I still have to wonder how long they were in there, and where Mom was.
I know this probably is nothing more than accidental, but didn't they cry or bang or scream for her? Ugh, it just really terrifies me to think that this can happen.

18x18x18 size basket:(

I have an 18X18X18 wicker ottoman, lined with plywood on the inside. Mine does not have a locking mechanism, however.

When mine is open and empty, it is hard to believe a four year old could fold herself inside, much less a four year old and her big brother.

This could be a very tragic accident, but when I look at my little trunk, all I can think is "Impossible."

I have an 18X18X18 wicker ottoman, lined with plywood on the inside. Mine does not have a locking mechanism, however.

When mine is open and empty, it is hard to believe a four year old could fold herself inside, much less a four year old and her big brother.

This could be a very tragic accident, but when I look at my little trunk, all I can think is "Impossible."

Thanks for sharing this - very interesting.

The mother said she found her 4 yr old and 5 yr old unconscious and not breathing in and 18inch wicker storage trunk lined with plywood.
This one really doesn't make since. Also the parents are going through a divorce.

I don't see how both would fit in there at one time and it close.
I don't see how they could be in there long enough to be unconscious without someone hearing them yell for help.
I don't see any mom not knowing where their kids are long enough for this to happen.

http://news-press.com/article/20090127/NEWS01/90127009

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28830237/

I agree. I have one too. I thought it was an accident when I first read it, but if that is the correct size there is no way two children could get in it and close the lid without help.

http://www.winknews.com/news/local/38303039.html

Oh dear I don't like the way this is worded:

"COLLIER COUNTY, Fla. - The autopsy for the two kids found in a storage trunk have been completed.

The Collier County Sheriff's says the results of those autopsies are pending.

Deputies are not saying if the deaths appear to be intentional or accidental."

Kat, I don't like that either. I also find the size of the trunk alarming. Maybe they are very petite children? I'm trying so hard to believe this was an accident, but then I don't want to believe such a tragic accident could happen....because that means it could happen to any of us. I will with hold judgement for now...

Oh my... These incidents are happening all to frequently. I just dont know how you could lose sight of not only one child but two?? I have 3 children and when I can't find one of them I am in panic mode, children can get into things they shouldn't in a matter of SECONDS!! Not minutes but seconds. Thank goodness nothing awful has ever happened to my family. I know parents aren't perfect and things happen but something isn't adding up here. IMO

Did she see her children any time that morning? Two children fitting into an 18"x18x18 storage container? Wonder what the EMS report details? Hopefully photos were taken before their little bodies were removed.

This article says the mother was home at the time.
http://www.winknews.com/news/local/38303039.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DazzelleShafer
Back