822 users online (152 members and 670 guests)  



Websleuths News


Page 1 of 35 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 516
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Douglas,MA
    Posts
    442

    AR- West Memphis -"Laundry Lady" WhtFem 643UFAR, 45-60, Sep'87 No Name Available

    The victim was discovered on September 9, 1987 in West Memphis, Crittenden County, Arkansas
    She was hit by a car while walking. She had a bag with Shampoo, laundry soap, fabric softener etc. age 45-60 http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/643ufar.html
    Why was she not easy to ID? She had a bag with all brand name products. So, she was not transient. Someone in the area had to know her.
    Last edited by CarlK90245; 01-14-2013 at 03:01 AM. Reason: remove submitted flag - n/a for general discussion threads

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Schuylkill County, PA
    Posts
    180
    So sad, she was going about her chores and was hit. The people in the car thought they hit a barrel in the road?! How does one mistake a person for a barrel and how does one not slow down or try to stop when said "barrel" is in the road. Is there any word on if the person driving was drunk or somehow incoherient?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    The South, USA
    Posts
    2,405
    She seems like a transient to me. Her bag had toothpaste and toothbrush, and the means to wash her clothes, and other items to wash up with. Maybe she wasn't from the area. I wish there was a reconstruction.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Schuylkill County, PA
    Posts
    180
    If she was indeed a transient she was a well maintained transient or one who was just recently homeless. She had TIDE and Downey which are name brands, not sure about back then but I know a small bottle of TIDE could run about $5.00-$6.00 in todays market, if I were on a limited budget I would opt out for the lesser expensive brand that I could get a bottle for $2.50.
    But then again maybe I am just cheap

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    1,148
    this is so sad

    True, Tide is very expensive! I remember from my Ramen noodle poor student days that I'd stretch out a bottle as much as possible because you'd get only this tiny bottle for like $10! generic brand is always cheaper, but not by much.
    Some people do crossword puzzles or Soduko in their spare time...I look at skeletal reconstructions and work on UID puzzles. I swear I'm not this morbid in person!

    Help Fred Murray find his daughter and bring her home. He should not be walking those woods alone!
    What Happened to Maura Murray? http://www.mauramurraymissing.com

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    1,148
    Some people do crossword puzzles or Soduko in their spare time...I look at skeletal reconstructions and work on UID puzzles. I swear I'm not this morbid in person!

    Help Fred Murray find his daughter and bring her home. He should not be walking those woods alone!
    What Happened to Maura Murray? http://www.mauramurraymissing.com

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Douglas,MA
    Posts
    442
    Quote Originally Posted by future criminologist View Post
    The vitals fit. I just wish they make a reconstrution like someone elese here said. It'd help us match a missing better.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    The South, USA
    Posts
    2,405
    I took the small bottles/boxes to be the type you can get out of vending machines. Maybe if she wasn't homeless, she was at least traveling.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    western PA, USA
    Posts
    847
    What is that little white rectangular thing next to the toothpaste in the photo?

    That's odd. In the photo of her possessions there's a tube of toothpaste but no brush, and she has shampoo but no washcloth, towel or bar of soap. Could these personal care items might have been given out at a women's shelter?

    It seems unlikely that a transient would spend money on fabric softener. The other items are all essentials, with the possible exception of the skin lotion.

    Is anyone familiar with the area where she was found? Is it near any laundromats or motels that might have had laundry facilities? It seems odd that she didn't have any other clothes other than the ones she was wearing. I wonder if a motel manager found the clothes still in a washing machine or dryer but didn't know the woman's body was found nearby.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    1,413
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. E View Post
    I took the small bottles/boxes to be the type you can get out of vending machines. Maybe if she wasn't homeless, she was at least traveling.
    if you look at the pictures they are full size bottles. But weirdly enough the toothpaste tube is mostly used. It wasn't a shopping trip. she might be a well groomed, tide loving transient after all.
    -Beth In Alaska


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    323
    Quote Originally Posted by future criminologist View Post
    this is so sad

    True, Tide is very expensive! I remember from my Ramen noodle poor student days that I'd stretch out a bottle as much as possible because you'd get only this tiny bottle for like $10! generic brand is always cheaper, but not by much.
    Agreed. So is Colgate. You can buy knock off stuff much, much cheaper. But even a quarter counts. When you are broke, every penny makes a difference. Name brands are not consistent with a transient person.

    Quote Originally Posted by tatertot View Post
    What is that little white rectangular thing next to the toothpaste in the photo?

    That's odd. In the photo of her possessions there's a tube of toothpaste but no brush, and she has shampoo but no washcloth, towel or bar of soap. Could these personal care items might have been given out at a women's shelter?

    It seems unlikely that a transient would spend money on fabric softener. The other items are all essentials, with the possible exception of the skin lotion.
    I agree.

    The white thing appears to be a bar of soap. This is a guess as I cannot see it well.

    There is a brush in a wrapper at the very bottom. It looks as if it's new.

    Quote Originally Posted by BethInAK View Post
    if you look at the pictures they are full size bottles. But weirdly enough the toothpaste tube is mostly used. It wasn't a shopping trip. she might be a well groomed, tide loving transient after all.
    I thought perhaps something happened to the paste upon impact. Or that it was somehow effected in this manner. It looked like it may have exploded out the end but again hard to tell.


    This all then led me to think of another scenario. What if she had escaped a bad relationship/a person/left their life and was setting up shop somewhere and needed the basics. Or she had just moved into the area for whatever reason? How often do you need ALL of the essentials while shopping unless moving? I never run out of all essentials and a few luxury but useful household items at the same time. What plausible scenarios would this happen? Moving was all that came to mind.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Posts
    514
    Maybe she received a monthly check and went shopping to stock up for the month. That could possibly explain all the essentials at once.
    Shhhhh..........we're watching Nancy Grace.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    1,413
    Quote Originally Posted by Julespa View Post
    So sad, she was going about her chores and was hit. The people in the car thought they hit a barrel in the road?! How does one mistake a person for a barrel and how does one not slow down or try to stop when said "barrel" is in the road. Is there any word on if the person driving was drunk or somehow incoherient?

    maybe she was bent over? and it was truck and they really didnt' see?
    -Beth In Alaska

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    1,413
    Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    I thought perhaps something happened to the paste upon impact. Or that it was somehow effected in this manner. It looked like it may have exploded out the end but again hard to tell.


    This all then led me to think of another scenario. What if she had escaped a bad relationship/a person/left their life and was setting up shop somewhere and needed the basics. Or she had just moved into the area for whatever reason? How often do you need ALL of the essentials while shopping unless moving? I never run out of all essentials and a few luxury but useful household items at the same time. What plausible scenarios would this happen? Moving was all that came to mind.

    Points well taken - the toothbrush does look like its in the box and brand new. And moving - I always toss out half empty bottles of stuff, so that might make sense. maybe she just moved to this area - i.e. she wouldn't be local?
    -Beth In Alaska

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    323
    She may have been relocating there. She was walking, which may indicate she did not have a car. Which could mean a number of things. But a point to consider.

    Quote Originally Posted by tekilla View Post
    Maybe she received a monthly check and went shopping to stock up for the month. That could possibly explain all the essentials at once.
    But buying a new toothpaste and tube of paste? And a new bottle of lotion? And shampoo? And detergent? And softener? It seems like one would rarely buy those all of things every month or even every few months. I can see the monthly/big stock up, but those are curious items for that. All body care and home related. All useful things. All things that last to varying degrees. It seems odd for a normal, regular shopping trip.

Page 1 of 35 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 81
    Last Post: 08-26-2016, 10:23 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-02-2014, 11:11 PM
  3. IN IN - "Lady Bluebeard" Belle Gunness - 100 year mystery
    By Pharlap in forum Serial Killers
    Replies: 61
    Last Post: 11-18-2011, 09:34 PM
  4. Replies: 66
    Last Post: 11-06-2011, 02:11 AM

Tags for this Thread