OR - Brooke Wilberger, 19, Corvallis, 24 May 2004 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is so sad and disconcerting. The young woman reminds me a lot of Dru Sjodin in appearance. I wonder what sex offenders are living in the area? Seems a reasonable place to begin the investigation given the recent climate and crimes in the news... I hope against hope for a positive outcome

just saw her family on greta...tiny, young, pretty. the perfect victim. sorry to say this probably won't have a good outcome. just the cop in me speaking. by all accounts a lovely young lady.

Hi,

Living in Portland, only about a 2 hour drive to Corvallis, it was a sad moment when I came home from work tonight to find this had happened here, in my backyard, so to speak.

I watched the news in disbelief as I heard her brother try not to cry as he spoke with such deep emotion, trying to be upbeat and hopeful about the situation. I found myself crying outloud, so mad that this could happen again to a priceless and special young woman. And somehow feeling the utter loss this family must feel - a tight family of 6 children, very religious, totally taken by surprise at her being taken from them.

I could only pray then that optimism must prevail, for hope does spring eternal, and all the thoughts we have and the good spirits of everyone who hears about her, will hold her tight and keep her alive to come on home.

And then, watching the news and hour later, I saw they had found the other girl who disappeared, dead, carried off in a body bag. A sad night for this family of Brooke who still have hope, and yet who also know the possibilities that lie ahead for them.

God be with them and give them the blessings of love from all of us. I will pray for her safe return home.

Scandi

I just wonder if the person that did this was one that lives in the apartment complex? or maybe someone that was visiting with someone there? seems like to me this was a moment of oppertunity. I hope just like everyone else that she is found alive.

On the Today show it was said that it was several hours before the police were called. It seems a bit strange since she was reportedly such a responsible person that they were not immediately alarmed. I guess I could see waiting five or ten minutes in the event she helped a little old lady with her groceries… but hours?

this one has really got me freaked out. my husband & i moved to corvallis almost a year ago and i have never felt safer in my life. we frequently forget to lock our doors and i walk all over the place by myself with no worries. having moved from houston, this complacency has taken some getting used to. i guess it goes to show you that you can never be too comfortable, no matter where you are.

i hope and pray that she is found safe - but like a pp said, it doesn't look good. reports make it seem as if she is an extremely reliable/responsible person who wasn't looking for a way out of a bad siutation. and i really don't like how the papers say that, in the parking lot, there was evidence of a struggle taking place. what is that supposed to mean?

i'll be sure & keep you guys posted if there is any local news or rumors on the street......

there was a criminal profiler on the evening news that said that the perpetrator is most likely a charming young-ish male (basically describing a sociopath - reminded me of scott p!) that might have been following her on recent frequent trips from Eugene (her hometown) to Corvallis (about a 45 min drive). also said that she may well have known her abductor.

searches have been called off for tonight, as it's getting dark, but the community support is amazing. i didn't even leave my neighborhood before i saw flyers on streetlights & telephone poles.

I had a thought that the person that took this young lady could very well be someone at the complex she worked at, would it be possible for someone to get her to come to there apartment making her think they were in need of something? then when she gets to the door maybe she was dragged into the apartment? the criminal profiler forgot to mention that the police is looking for a creep.

Words of encouragement have been streaming in for Brooke Wilberger's family as search crews continue looking for the 19-year-old BYU freshman.

At a Thursday news conference her family gathered to thank the volunteers, authorities, and the media for helping get the word out about Brooke.

"We are just overwhelmed with the response of all the volunteers searching for Brooke and we are thankful for everyone and everything," said Brooke's mother Cammy Wilberger.

http://www.katu.com/news/story.asp?ID=67735

Police have identified as many as 20 'persons of interest' in the suspect abduction Brooke Wilberger -- who vanished early this week from a Corvallis apartment complex -- but so far they have no suspects, authorities said Thursday night.
http://www.kgw.com/news-local/stories/kgw_052704_news_missing_woman.201e751ca.html

Under gray skies and cooling temperatures, more than 200 volunteers turned out Wednesday morning with long-sleeve shirts, walking sticks and gloves for a third day of fruitless searching for Brooke Wilberger, the Brigham Young University student police think was kidnapped Monday.
Behind the search was an unusual effort: Members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints mobilized even before police could on Monday, pouring an extensive effort into the search for one of their own. Although joined by others in the community, the church brought in resources far beyond what police could muster.
http://www.oregonlive.com/news/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/front_page/108565901353680.xml

I just heard on Fox that a strange discovery was found in reguards to this case. Anybody hear what was found?

Pugsley I can't access that site without registering, so I don't know if this is repetitive but on Fox the police said there was an area of dirt that looked freshly dug and that is why they are searching there, no body, no clothing. Just covering all the bases.

thanks newswolf, that article did not give any new info. other than that first paragraph.

pugs

apparently last night search teams detected a foul odor near a gravel pit that is located approx. 4 miles from where Brooke disappeared. this morning they brought in cadaver dogs and a forensics team, and checked out some nearby tire tracks.

so far, the corvallis police have not confirmed any of this info, but are expected to release info to the media around 12:30 pacific time. :(

I just caught a clip of this on the Seattle noon news. Apparently there was what appeared to be "fresh digging" in the gravel pit, which has now been cordoned off.

I hope for her safe return.

I saw on another board that they were originally called to the scene because a report of a foul odor. There was no story link, so I don't know if it's accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bosie