"Lawyering Up"

Pattymarie

Reaction score
I have questions about "lawyering up" in this case.
If the when the A's got the car back with the "death" smell and they had any reason to suspect their daughter could have been involved in either an accident/failure to report or even an unspeakable crime....why did they let her speak to LE with a lawyer?

Does this speak to their not knowing what happened, not believing that their daughter could possibly be involved or simple denial/naievty?

I ask this because, if any of my children were involved in a possilbe "covered up accident/crime," even if I called the police, while awaiting their arrival...I would have certainly called a lawyer...especially if I had suspicions I didn't even want to admit to myself. Wouldn't this be the first act of saving what is left of my child?

I'm to the point that I believe a person should lawyer up wither they are innocent or guilty. If they are being interviewed, a lawyer should be there.

Remember, innocent people do get sent to jail. The guilty generally is someone known, so that means everyone is a possiblity and considered a suspect. The LE just needs one good suspect. Some times it does get personal, and sometimes LE can't see past their first suspect. Having a lawyer there at all times helps keep things on track in my book.

Only rich folks can afford to do something like that. <shrug>

Hence, I think that all the A's should have lawyered up from the get go. So many reasons they would need a lawyer, it boggles the mind.

The lawyers are there to protect their clients interests. Sadly, the LE make it seem a person is guilty if they call one. Yet, if they were in the same situation, they would call one.

I think they were rightfully confused and panicked and could only focus on the fact that Caylee was missing. Since KC told them Zanny had Caylee, they dismissed the smell of the car as anything to do with Caylee and went into "find Caylee, find Zanny mode."

I don't hink it was until the next day, when they learned that there was no ZFG at the empty apartment and were confronted with the fact that KC had no job, that they started really thinking that something was just not right. By then, KC had already talked to LE.

Additonally, most people do not know any lawyer well enough to have a home number to contact for emergencies and MOST people do not get a lawyer until they have been bonded out of jail - after they have already spoken to LE.

I guess I didn't answer your question. LOL! Folks just don't think about calling a lawyer right away. Don't realize one is needed, etc. That night CA was just trying to scare KC. Wasn't thinking about KC being arrested for real or what would happen next. CA was mad, and not thinking.

I read what her co-workers said CA said on that day, etc. I still think her mind couldn't really wrap around it. It ws trying to tell her, but she couldn't 'handle' really understanding it. Sjhe was holding on to the possiblity that KC could explain it all away and she was holding out on that.

I think it's easy to 'see' when one is using hind sight.

I think Cindy called LE as a bluff. I think she thought Caylee was fine but being purposely kept somewhere away from her. You can sense that from the tone of her voice in the first 911 call. I think she thought if she called police that Casey would back down and admit where she was. I think if there was some fear at the time they found the car, once they knew neither Casey nor Caylee were in the car...I think they believed they were both ok. By the time Cindy made the 2nd and 3rd 911 calls, I think she was in a state of panic and not thinking very clearly.

I truly think they believed her story about the nanny - which is why they let her talk to LE. The sound of her voice in that 3rd call really seems to indicate to me she thought the nanny had Caylee. By the time they realized how much trouble Casey was in, it was too late to call an attorney. JMO

If the when the A's got the car back with the "death" smell and they had any reason to suspect their daughter could have been involved in either an accident/failure to report or even an unspeakable crime....why did they let her speak to LE with a lawyer?

Does this speak to their not knowing what happened, not believing that their daughter could possibly be involved or simple denial/naievty?

I ask this because, if any of my children were involved in a possilbe "covered up accident/crime," even if I called the police, while awaiting their arrival...I would have certainly called a lawyer...especially if I had suspicions I didn't even want to admit to myself. Wouldn't this be the first act of saving what is left of my child?

Tho minimal, Cindy had been having some contact with KC and we have all been baffeled by the brownie making party girl who didn't seem to care. I am one who believes that when they picked up the car they were terrified it was Caylee and KC and when it wasn't either of them in the trunk they were somewhat relieved but went into usual cover up mode because they knew she was in some kind of trouble. I think it started with her cleaning up the latest KC mess not knowing that was her granddaughter. I may be giving too much credit, I know...but hoping not and this is the extent of the guilt.

I hope that when she found KC and she wasn't acting like a mother whose daughter had died, she was just so happy to find KC and was so determined to find Caylee that her daughter ending up in jail like this and the entire world watching their every move for the next months with no end in sight was the last thing on her mind. I don't think she thought her daughter was involved in her granddaughters disappearance at all. I think CA thought she was in the middle of another p*ssing contest with KC over the baby and never expected their night to end up with the baby really missing, much less gone at her daughters hands. I think the tone of the 9/11 call says it all to me and tells me that at least until she hung up that phone Cindy was innocent and clueless. Every time I hear her say that KC was looking for her "Herself" the way she says it a little after, as if to say "Can you believe it, herself! With no police." and when she says "I need to find her." no matter how mad I am at Cindy, the hair on the back of my neck stands up and I get a lump in my throat. The latest docs just secured that for me when there was the info on what she said when she had found out to her boss. I cried when I read it. Every time. I think if she could have seen the future things would be very different, and I can't say for the better. I think she just forgot who she was dealing with and didn't think to call a lawyer.

I think Cindy called LE as a bluff. I think she thought Caylee was fine but being purposely kept somewhere away from her. You can sense that from the tone of her voice in the first 911 call. I think she thought if she called police that Casey would back down and admit where she was. I think if there was some fear at the time they found the car, once they knew neither Casey nor Caylee were in the car...I think they believed they were both ok. By the time Cindy made the 2nd and 3rd 911 calls, I think she was in a state of panic and not thinking very clearly.

I truly think they believed her story about the nanny - which is why they let her talk to LE. The sound of her voice in that 3rd call really seems to indicate to me she thought the nanny had Caylee. By the time they realized how much trouble Casey was in, it was too late to call an attorney. JMO

Should have a called a lawyer...if they smelled decomposition...and if they had ANY suspsion whatsoever....and even if in denial....would have been the prudent thing to do. Now...all the tapes they have on her are so damning...never could figure out how they allowed her to talk so much early on.

:clap::clap::clap: I think this is right on!! ITA! KC had never pushed CA this far before, or at least Cindy had never called the police. Remember what Lee was saying about how she changed when he reminded her that the police were going to want to know where the baby was and that was when it hit her. Cindy had no clue at the first 911 call. She only mentioned a possible missing child to push KC.

From what I remember from the first 911 call. I think on the 16th or 17th the A's had LE check the back yard as they saw some suspicious things back there. I remember when the news showed them sitting at their kitchen table and there were two attorneys at the house at the table and the detectives asked the lawyers if they could search and they said yes.
I just dont know what has happened to those attorneys since then, I haven't seen them..? lol

I'm to the point that I believe a person should lawyer up wither they are innocent or guilty. If they are being interviewed, a lawyer should be there.

Remember, innocent people do get sent to jail. The guilty generally is someone known, so that means everyone is a possiblity and considered a suspect. The LE just needs one good suspect. Some times it does get personal, and sometimes LE can't see past their first suspect. Having a lawyer there at all times helps keep things on track in my book.

Only rich folks can afford to do something like that. <shrug>

Hence, I think that all the A's should have lawyered up from the get go. So many reasons they would need a lawyer, it boggles the mind.

The lawyers are there to protect their clients interests. Sadly, the LE make it seem a person is guilty if they call one. Yet, if they were in the same situation, they would call one.

Bolded by me.

In addition to the part I bolded, ITA with all you've said. It's also unfortunately true that immediately calling a lawyer in when you deal with LE makes you appear suspicious and uncooperative, ergo "guilty." I'd do it anyway, but I'd try to stress my desire to cooperate fully.

I have standing instructions to my children to say nothing and immediately request a lawyer if they are ever arrested . It is their right. I have seen some pretty shady cops in my day especially the way they treat young people in my area.

I have standing instructions to my children to say nothing and immediately request a lawyer if they are ever arrested . It is their right. I have seen some pretty shady cops in my day especially the way they treat young people in my area.

I think Casey's problem though was that she talked BEFORE being arrested. I think the A's didn't stop her because they thought that Caylee had been kidnapped and time was of the essence - especially since 31 days had already gone by. You could tell that Cindy was very anxious for LE to get there and help. They thought Casey would help as well and so they let her talk to LE - which we now know was a mistake.

Should have a called a lawyer...if they smelled decomposition...and if they had ANY suspsion whatsoever....and even if in denial....would have been the prudent thing to do. Now...all the tapes they have on her are so damning...never could figure out how they allowed her to talk so much early on.

Well honestly there are alot of things they SHOULD have done...you could play that game all day long with the Anthony's! They should have checked if she really had a job, they should have never let her get away with keeping Caylee away so long, they should have made her repay the money she stole, they should have kicked her happy butt to the curb long ago. But they didn't for whatever reason they chose.

I believe that they thought the smell was decompostition, but were relieved not to find anything in the trunk. Since they had been talking to Casey on the phone and she never indicated anything was wrong - it is possible that at the time they dismissed the smell as Casey just trashing the car. In listening to those 911 calls, I will just never believe that Cindy thought Caylee was dead or even hurt. After Casey finally spews her kidnapping story, you could just tell Cindy truly thought the babysitter had her. I think the decomp smell only seemed relevant to them again when talk of Casey killing Caylee surfaced after her arrest. JMO

Same here, J. LE is pretty good here, though. Actually they've been very professional and a great help at times, truth be told.

I am one who believes that when they picked up the car they were terrified it was Caylee and KC and when it wasn't either of them in the trunk they were somewhat relieved but went into usual cover up mode because they knew she was in some kind of trouble. Snip**

Yes, I think they felt that "Ha ha aren't we silly to have even thought that when it was only a pizza after all." Like when the tornado passes and your house is OK.

Snip***
...and when she says "I need to find her." no matter how mad I am at Cindy, the hair on the back of my neck stands up and I get a lump in my throat. The latest docs just secured that for me when there was the info on what she said when she had found out to her boss. I cried when I read it. Every time. I think if she could have seen the future things would be very different, and I can't say for the better. I think she just forgot who she was dealing with and didn't think to call a lawyer.

Me, too. I thought about The Runaway Bunny story my mother read, where the mother bunny always says "No matter what, I will find you." And she was desperate to keep that promise to Caylee. "I will never stop looking for you as long as I live."

I hope my snippage was ok with you, HRCP, just trying to save space. :blowkiss: Man, I really messed up the quoteing; mine are in red.

Casey is an adult (over the age of 18) and she has the right to speak or not speak with the police on the day the police were at her parent's home on July 15th. Casey voluntarily spoke to LE and then went with LE on July 16th to Universal and then sat in a room and answered questions. All Casey had to do was "ask for an attorney" and the interview would have been over.

I think Casey was smart enough not to ask for an attorney because if she asked for one that would "assume" Casey had something to hide. :rolleyes: :waitasec:

ME to...I have told my kids repeatedly ONLY say three things over and over if you have to....I need to contact my parents and ONLY their names and birthdates....I have also reitterated to them that ANYTHING you say CAN be used against you....and that things can be misconstrued and/or taken out of context....In ESSENCE keep YOUR mouth SHUT....

ME to...I have told my kids repeatedly ONLY say three things over and over if you have to....I need to contact my parents and ONLY their names and birthdates....I have also reitterated to them that ANYTHING you say CAN be used against you....and that things can be misconstrued and/or taken out of context....In ESSENCE keep YOUR mouth SHUT....

Me three TSPnc and JBean. I have instructed all of my children to ask for me and to not give out any information until I get there. My oldest two are adults, they know that if they are arrested that we will provide a lawyer for them to advise them. It is their right.

They might have still been in denial even though they both recognized the smell of death. Maybe they were hoping KC would produce Caylee and say it was all a sick joke.

As soon as she was arrested KC knew what to do, makes me think that sealed Juvenile record is pretty interesting. She thought the cops would believe the Zanny story and take her home. I have always had a feeling she's been in trouble before in some way. When she drops the act she starts talking like a . And I also have always thought some of the friends from HS are the same way.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
L1752
Back