2381 Signatures
Published by Carey Hawelka Patton on Dec 08, 2008
Category: Justice
Region: United States of America
Target: Friends and family of Katy Hawelka
Web site: http://www.4katy.blogspot.com
[Sign Petition]
Background (Preamble):
On September 1, 1986, Katherine Hawelka, a 19 year old college sophomore died after a brutal attack on the campus of Clarkson University in Potsdam, NY at the hands of Brian M. McCarthy.

He viciously raped and strangled her, beating her so severely that she was unrecognizable due to the head and face trauma she sustained.

She never regained consciousness after his heinous attack. Brian McCarthy had just been released on parole three months prior to this attack.
Petition:
We, the undersigned, are concerned citizens who ask the New York Department of Corrections Parole Board deny the parole/release of Convicted Murderer Brian M. McCarthy during his upcoming parole hearings in April 2009, as well as any upcoming hearings in the future.

The heinous nature of the murder of Katherine Hawelka, as well as the fact that he had recently been paroled and was using drugs and alcohol at the time of the attack, should preclude any consideration of parole.

Maybe post some more links to the crime, newspaper articles etc... not only the petition.
I had to search for ages to find anything.
Is it 100% certain this man is guilty of this horrible crime?
Etc...
I would think most people here likes to hear all sides of the story first, before signing anything:)

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpa...933A25757C0A96E948260&sec=&spon=&pagewanted=2

-snipped-
Sometimes, awareness comes too late. A year and a half ago, Katherine M. Hawelka, a 19-year-old sophomore, was raped and murdered at Clarkson University in Potsdam, N.Y., a quiet town near the Canadian border. Two campus security guards drove by and saw Ms. Hawelka on the ground with a man about 3:30 A.M., yet did nothing because they thought the couple were engaged in consensual sex. They returned later to find Ms. Hawelka unconscious and beaten. She died three days later. The man convicted of murdering her, Brian M. McCarthy, 23, a Potsdam resident, was sentenced to 23 years to life in prison. He was not a Clarkson student and did not know Ms. Hawelka.

MS. HAWELKA'S family is suing Clarkson for $550 million, arguing that its guards were negligent. Ms. Hawelka grew up in Syracuse, and her family said they were well aware of the potential dangers in an urban area like that of Syracuse University. ''So when Katie went up to Potsdam, I don't think we even saw it in terms of anything like that being possible,'' said her mother, Terry Connelly. ''Even a lot of her friends asked, 'How could it happen?' ''

http://watertowndailytimes.com/article/20080512/NEWS05/668731670

Man who killed Clarkson student in 1986 eligible for parole next year
PREPARING FOR HEARING: Brian McCarthy asks for presentence report
By JAMES R. DONNELLY
TIMES STAFF WRITER
MONDAY, MAY 12, 2008

http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache...an+mccarthy+hawelka&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=18&gl=us

Campus Rapes Reported on the National Rise

I signed it. This guy does not need to be out on the streets.

Syracuse family fights to keep man who killed Clarkson University student behind bars
by Sue Weibezahl Porter / The Post-Standard
Sunday February 15, 2009, 6:00 AM

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2009/02/syracuse_family_fights_to_keep.html

~snip~

Katy Hawelka was so savagely beaten, her family didn't recognize her.

The attack and rape in 1986 left the Syracuse woman -- just starting her sophomore year at Clarkson University -- battered and brain-dead.

Three days later, her parents disconnected her life support equipment.

Brian McCarthy, then 23 and an unemployed carpenter with a long criminal history, pleaded guilty to her murder. Now, 23 years later, McCarthy is coming up for his first parole hearing.

The Attack
"It was a completely random attack," Joe Hawelka said. "It could have been anyone's sister, anyone's daughter."

According to police and medical reports, McCarthy tried to rape Katy, but she resisted.

The two struggled, next to the wall of the arena. McCarthy then smashed her head into the wall several times. When she collapsed, he kicked her in the head and body repeatedly with his work boots.

Katy Hawelka never regained consciousness.

She was transported to Potsdam Hospital, then moved to House of the Good Samaritan Hospital in Watertown, when doctors realized the severity of her injuries.

When her parents saw her being wheeled back into Good Samaritan's intensive care unit, her face and body were so battered, they didn't recognize her.

"It hit us like a ton of bricks," said Taber, who still lives in the Sedgwick area.

In a taped confession, McCarthy later told investigators, "I was picking her up and throwing her and I was using every bit of my strength in my body to move that girl, just, just to shake her insides out."

Police believe after Katy was unconscious, McCarthy tore her clothes off and raped her.

This is truth as to what he did. I worked in Potsdam at the time and went to school with him. He was kinda scarey in school and then this happens and when I heard who it was it really didn't surprise me. He is a vicious killer who needs to have his key thrown away and not be let out ever. I would hate to think of what will happen to any community that he would move to if he ever got out.

The word murder is defined by an act like this. I signed. I am speechless. No one is safe if this man gets out again. I really believe this.

Beyond that, the family is due every dime of anything they can get from the University....the security guards both heard and saw the attack and did nothing. I am gobsmacked.

Thanks for taking the time to sign this. This needs to be brought to everyone's attention. I for one believe it should be a sticky. Too many folks get released around here and go on to re-offend. Thanks again.

My two thoughts:

First, that dirtbag will only improve this world by his departure from it. Why murderers get parole is something I will never understand.

Second, the comment in the article that the doctors talked the family out of organ donation for fear the murderer's defense would argue that the organs living in others would preclude a jury finding that she had actually been "killed" - I have never heard of that defense being raised, much less succeeding. Has anyone?

Bolded by me...
WHAT?? That is utterly ridiculous. Either they were misguided or the Doctor was a nut. But that would never ever hold up in court. The person is deceased. What we do with body pieces after the fact is a mute point. :shocked2:

I just don't believe it.

Bumping this. Regardless of the organ donation issue, this animal needs to be behind bars forever. I have to add, I do not know this family, but the college is 8 miles from my home. This family deserves much more than they will ever get in this life. MO

Bumping this up. please help this family to keep this monster in prison.

HAWELKA FAMILY READY FOR PAROLE HEARING ON MC.CARTHY--46-year-old Brian Mc.Carthy, serving 23 years to life for the murder of Clarkson University student Katherine Hawelka in 1986, is set to go before the state Parole Board the week of March 30th, not April 13th as originally scheduled. Despite the date change, the family told reporters Friday they are prepared. Included in their evidence to present in the hopes of keeping Mc.Carthy behind bars is anonline petition containing over 5-thousand signatures.

By Diane Rutherford

Story Published: Mar 30, 2009 at 2:39 PM EDT

Story Updated: Mar 30, 2009 at 8:44 PM EDT

"It breaks my heart that we have to go through this."

Terry Taber is talking about having to fight to keep her daughter's killer in prison.

Taber's daughter, Katherine Hawelka, was beaten and raped on the Clarkson University campus on August 29, 1986.

Katy, as everyone called her, died three days later.

She was 19.

More at link:

http://www.wwnytv.com/news/local/42139337.html

Parole Denied!!!
Thanks to all who helped keep this monster where he belongs.

http://www.newswatch50.com/news/loc...le-denied/yNSAENcBukyO0fhFwuLa1w.cspx?rss=136
McCarthy parole denied

Last Update: 12:11 pm
Print Story | Email Story
Set Text Size Small Set Text Size Medium Set Text Size Large Set Text Size X-Large
(New York State Department of Corrections, NewsWatch50)
(New York State Department of Corrections, NewsWatch50)
Related Links

* Brian McCarthy to go before parole board

"All factors considered, the panel concludes that release at this time is incompatible with the welfare and safety of the community."
The State Division of Parole has denied release for convicted killer Brian McCarthy.

McCarthy, 46, is serving a 23 year-to-life state prison sentence for the 1986 murder of Katherine Hawelka on the Clarkson University campus in Potsdam.

He went before the state parole board this week, his first allowed bid for freedom since being convicted.

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/deny-parole.html

Petiton to Deny Parole for Brian M. McCarthy
2381 Signatures
Published by Carey Hawelka Patton on Dec 08, 2008
Category: Justice
Region: United States of America
Target: Friends and family of Katy Hawelka
Web site: http://www.4katy.blogspot.com
[Sign Petition]
Background (Preamble):
On September 1, 1986, Katherine Hawelka, a 19 year old college sophomore died after a brutal attack on the campus of Clarkson University in Potsdam, NY at the hands of Brian M. McCarthy.

He viciously raped and strangled her, beating her so severely that she was unrecognizable due to the head and face trauma she sustained.

She never regained consciousness after his heinous attack. Brian McCarthy had just been released on parole three months prior to this attack.
Petition:
We, the undersigned, are concerned citizens who ask the New York Department of Corrections Parole Board deny the parole/release of Convicted Murderer Brian M. McCarthy during his upcoming parole hearings in April 2009, as well as any upcoming hearings in the future.

The heinous nature of the murder of Katherine Hawelka, as well as the fact that he had recently been paroled and was using drugs and alcohol at the time of the attack, should preclude any consideration of parole.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohbeehaave
Back