541 users online (57 members and 484 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Mt REDOUBT, Alaska, about to BLOW

I just heard on the local NW News the volcano is about to erupt at any moment. Looks like there is no doubt about Mt REDOUBT:

http://newsminer.com/news/2009/jan/2...24-hour-alert/

Snippet

"
    Alaska volcano has geologists on 24-hour alert

Originally published Wednesday, January 28, 2009 at 8:17 a.m.
    Updated Wednesday, January 28, 2009 at 11:25 a.m.

ANCHORAGE, Alaska -- Mount Redoubt continues to rumble and simmer, prompting geologists to say this Alaska volcano could erupt "within days."

Scientists from the Alaska Volcano Observatory have been monitoring activity round-the-clock since the weekend.

If Mount Redoubt does erupt, it would be the first time this occurred in nearly 20 years. And if won't likely be pretty.

History shows that volcanoes in Alaska, including Redoubt, typically erupt explosively, shooting ash almost eight miles high.

"Its pressure keeps building and building. . . .," she said.

Depending on the winds, the ash plume could be pushed straight at Anchorage, the state's largest city. This has prompted state and city officials to post bulletins on how to deal with the ash. . . ." More @ Link

From ELMENDORF AIR FORCE BASE, Alaska, Directions for Volcano Awareness/Preparedness to the citizens of Alaska:

http://www.elmendorf.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123133112

I just heard the residents of Anchorage and the surrounding area are now out scurrying for supplies and getting tucked into their safe abodes. There is great fear that ash might wreck havoc in the Anchorage area.

God speed and stay safe Alaskans LET 'ER BLOW

Scandi

My friend is stationed at Elmendorf and they are on an ash alert. She just moved there in December and they have already had some weird stuff happening since they have been there--like kids being off of school for weather. That almost never happens and they have had three days off for ice and now this! So crazy!

Quote Originally Posted by scandi View Post
    I just heard on the local NW News the volcano is about to erupt at any moment. Looks like there is no doubt about Mt REDOUBT:

http://newsminer.com/news/2009/jan/2...24-hour-alert/

Snippet

"
    Alaska volcano has geologists on 24-hour alert

Originally published Wednesday, January 28, 2009 at 8:17 a.m.
    Updated Wednesday, January 28, 2009 at 11:25 a.m.

ANCHORAGE, Alaska -- Mount Redoubt continues to rumble and simmer, prompting geologists to say this Alaska volcano could erupt "within days."

Scientists from the Alaska Volcano Observatory have been monitoring activity round-the-clock since the weekend.

If Mount Redoubt does erupt, it would be the first time this occurred in nearly 20 years. And if won't likely be pretty.

History shows that volcanoes in Alaska, including Redoubt, typically erupt explosively, shooting ash almost eight miles high.

"Its pressure keeps building and building. . . .," she said.

Depending on the winds, the ash plume could be pushed straight at Anchorage, the state's largest city. This has prompted state and city officials to post bulletins on how to deal with the ash. . . ." More @ Link

From ELMENDORF AIR FORCE BASE, Alaska, Directions for Volcano Awareness/Preparedness to the citizens of Alaska:

http://www.elmendorf.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123133112

I just heard the residents of Anchorage and the surrounding area are now out scurrying for supplies and getting tucked into their safe abodes. There is great fear that ash might wreck havoc in the Anchorage area.

God speed and stay safe Alaskans LET 'ER BLOW

Scandi
    May God be with them and protect them!

Follow me on the Twitter! @EricDiesel1972

Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

This if OT but I read a book (non-fiction) that stated there was an unknown connection between volcanic and seismic activity in Yellowstone and Alaska. I'll try to find the title, it was a good book.
    "Three things in human life are important: The first is to be kind; the second is to be kind; and the third is to be kind." ~ Henry James

I found it, it's called "A Crack in the edge of the world: America and the Great California Earthquake of 1906 by Simon Winchester.

I will be praying for those in AL that this turns out to be a minor eruption.
    "Three things in human life are important: The first is to be kind; the second is to be kind; and the third is to be kind." ~ Henry James

Kasatochi, in Alaska, made for awesome sunsets all of last summer and autumn, in the northern hemisphere (when it erupted)... perhaps this time around we will have some Redoubt sunsets putting on a show, if it blows.

Quote Originally Posted by Kat View Post
    I found it, it's called "A Crack in the edge of the world: America and the Great California Earthquake of 1906 by Simon Winchester.

I will be praying for those in AL that this turns out to be a minor eruption.

That should be an awesome read, given how far geological studies have come (thanks to satellites and seismic technology). I love reading stuff like that and taking in what scientist were trying to figure out, so long ago.

Check the pics from the last eruption... pretty neat looking images in the gallery:

http://www.avo.alaska.edu/volcanoes/...arch_year=1990

Quote Originally Posted by Elphaba View Post
    Check the pics from the last eruption... pretty neat looking images in the gallery:

http://www.avo.alaska.edu/volcanoes/...arch_year=1990

Incredible photos Elpjaba. Ta

Here is a morning update for the 29th, 2 hours ago:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/us_w...ould_erup.html

I also pray everyone will be safe when she blows amd didn't mean to come across as insensitive with Let 'Er BLOW. I look at this imminent eruption and all others as Mother Nature doing her job, a part of the cycle of life for our planet.

Thanks Kat for the info on the book ;}

I guess I am not up on Alaska volcanoes since I have never heard of Mount Redoubt. (Odd name if you think about it.) I hope the citizens in the surrounding area remain safe. I will keep them in my thoughts and prayers.
    "WE SEEK FOR THE TRUTH. WE SEEK JUSTICE.
    THE COURTS REQUIRE IT. THE VICTIMS CRY FOR IT
    AND GOD DEMANDS IT!"

A quote spray painted on the wall by search
    and rescue workers, Team 5, at the OKC Bombing site 4-19-1995.

What I post are my opinions only.

Here's a graphic showing Alaska's volcanoes... wow, never realized it has so many!

http://www.avo.alaska.edu/activity/

Alaskan Volcano Set to Erupt

I recently learned that Alaska has the most active volcanoes in the Western hemisphere. I know, nerdy.

Check out the pictures at the link! WOW

Story Highlights:
    • NEW: "Volcanic tremor" increasing in "amplitude," observatory says
    • The 10,200-foot Mount Redoubt is about 100 miles southwest of Anchorage, Alaska
    • Volcano last erupted in December 1989
    • Eruption could spawn huge mudflows, disrupt flights with ash
    -- Mount Redoubt, the Alaskan volcano expected to erupt at any time, is getting a bit more edgy.
    The Alaska Volcano Observatory said in a statement Friday "volcanic tremor" has increased in "amplitude."
    The activity on the 10,197-foot peak is "more energetic than that of the previous several days. However, it is still less vigorous than that observed last weekend," the observatory said.
    Peter Cervelli, a research geophysicist with the observatory, told CNN that "every indication is that we're heading toward an eruption."
    Cervelli said scientists don't know exactly when it will happen, but if it does happen, it could be days or weeks -- or even hours.
    "I would not be surprised to see it erupt at anytime," Cervelli said. "We're going to know it when we see it."

more at Link

From AVO - a steam plume has developed over the last 1.5 hours

2009-01-30 11:47:26

Seismicity at Redoubt has increased markedly over the last 20 minutes. Clear webcam views and pilot reports indicate that the volcano has not yet erupted.

http://volcanoes.usgs.gov/avo/webcam/redoubt.jpg

Most recent update from AVO:

2009-01-30 14:35:54

Intense seismicity continues at Redoubt this afternoon. Clear webcam views, satellite, and radar data from earlier today indicate that the volcano has not yet erupted.

Clouds have moved in to obscure the webcam view over the last hour.

An AVO observation flight returned in the last hour and reports no sign of ash emission, but observed significant steaming from a new melt depression at the mouth of the summit crater near the vent area of the 1989-90 eruption.

The Aviation Color Code remains at ORANGE and the Volcano Alert Level remains at WATCH.

Here's the AVO's Twitter page... their last post (11 minutes ago) said that seismicity started greatly declining. My thought: calm before the storm?

http://twitter.com/alaska_avo

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast