CA - Three boys killed in high-speed chase, 15yo driving, Fontana, 28 Jan 2009

JBean

Retired WS Administrator
Reaction score
FONTANA, Calif., Jan. 29 (UPI) -- Three children, the youngest of which was 6, are dead following a fatal car crash in Fontana, Calif., which occurred during a police chase, authorities say.
Police said the chase began after a 14-year-old

http://www.timesoftheinternet.com/41962.html

How sad is this. What a horrible tragedy.

Part of me wonders why they were chasing kids. But the cops may not have known it was a child/unlicensed driver. But an untrained driver running red lights with children in the car is quite unsafe. I wish there had been a better way to deal with it.

I thought that they weren't going to have car chases anymore due to the amount of fatalities from them in Cali?

How sad is this. What a horrible tragedy.

Part of me wonders why they were chasing kids. But the cops may not have known it was a child/unlicensed driver. But an untrained driver running red lights with children in the car is quite unsafe. I wish there had been a better way to deal with it.

I thought police chases were strongly discouraged in California? They are here...

Anyway, it has been proven that a reckless driver will become even more dangerous when pursued by police but will slow down once he/she believes he's gotten away. For this reason the policy is that when a driver refuses to pull over and starts/continues to drive unsafely police cruisers should retreat beyond sight of the driver instead of engaging in reckless driving themselves in order to catch up which multiplies the odds of something bad happening. Helicopter tracking and road block is deemed the safest way to deal with these situations.

Police officers are not race drivers and many have caused serious accidents while in pursuit of someone who 90% of the time has not committed a serious crime but is just plain idiotic or panicky. It's common sense that cops don't fire their weapons in crowded areas even when they're after a dangerous criminal, why should they be allowed to put the lives of bystanders at risk on the road especially when safer alternatives are at their disposal?

I am in Cali and we have had 3 car chases in the last 3 or 4 days that I can think of right off the top of my head. one included a woman that stole a UHaul truck. It ended with the officer making a full body tackle on her as she took off on foot.
I think one of our major stations won't televise them anymore..but the rest do.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back